Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

10ft Fiberglass - conversion to Waterfowl setup?

Thread starter #1
10ft Fiberglass - Convert to Duck hunting boat?
Hey guys...

Thinking about converting my older 10ft Fiberglass that I brought down from up north into a water fowling setup. I don't use it for lake fishing here on the island so it's either sell it... or convert it... but Before I get started, I was wondering if the Fiberglass aspect of it will withstand the modifications compared to going out and buying a 12-14ft Aluminum, etc... Obviously extra fiberglass and support would need to be added to withstand the bimini frame flex, etc... Maybe a 10ft isn't even big enough? It's going to be a winter project for me and my kid...

Been looking through some of the designs and the build thread on here and really like the ideas of the Bimini top style cover, etc...

I'm new to the water fowling world so just looking for advice before I get started...

Thanks.​

As for flexing,depends how the 'glass is ''laid up''.
heavy with several layers of
mat and 24 ounce roving or built with just a couple layers of 1 1/2 ounce mat.
2 guys,10 ft skiff, extra weight above waterline.......

I'd be concerned about the weight of fiberglass and the lack of room in a 10 foot.

I've had a few waterfowl setups and prefer a flat bottomed, welded aluminum, wide beam (more stability) and a minimum of 12 feet especially if you hunt with a partner and or a dog.

Great winter project with your kid. Those are some of my best memories growing up.

Thread starter #6
Sorry Jim,

Wife had to head to Bella Coola with Baby for a bit... been busy playing Mr. Mom with the rest of the kids... I'll give you a call one evening after they are in bed...

Mind you... I'll probably be so tuckered out I'll be asleep before them... lol

Top Bottom