Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

2018 Sask Muley

Thread starter #1

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Our draw entry mule deer season started here in Sask on November 1. High winds were present that day but my youngest daughter and I managed to spot a few decent deer. Friday again gave us some wicked weather. Rain, wind, fog (and fog and wind at the same time, go figure) followed by more winds and snow. This morning we had a few inches of fresh snow but more fog again. My daughter and I went on a good stalk but lost the location of the deer in the fog. My youngest son decided to join us later in the morning and the three of us, looking like walking pumpkins (blaze orange), set out on a stalk, which led to another stalk which led to another stalk. Thank goodness for Aleve! Each stalk was on a different set of deer but each stalk put us farther from the truck as well. Finally, we came within range of the deer we were after and we tried to get my daughter set up for the shot. However, our buck had other ideas and took off with his buddy. They were crossing back and forth and it was tricky to stay on our buck. I was tracking the deer in my scope and waiting for my daughter to take the shot but he was nearly out of sight and I did not want this buck to get away so I squeezed a shot with my Kimber in 280 Ackley Improved. I heard the "whump" and he went down instantly. He did not get smaller as we walked up to him. We later ranged the shot at 222 yards. We were all thrilled and I am very grateful to be able to share this moment with two of my children.
2018 Mule.jpg

Big Lew

This IS My Life
They do grow them big out there! Way to go!
I would have, and have done the same. Giving your daughter (in my case, my son) the opportunity
to take a shot on a mature buck is commendable but when it's obvious that they're not going to be
able to do so, taking it yourself is the thing to do in my mind rather than no one getting it. I spotted
a very mature and large buck about 75 yards away in a heavy reforested thicket and directed my son
to look where it was. From his angle he just wasn't able to see it. He had at least four or five minutes
before the buck began to fidget and it was obvious he was going to run. I waited until he started and
let him have it. My son wasn't at all disappointed because he didn't see it until it jumped. It all worked
out though because just a few minutes later another buck came onto the scene and my son made a
great shot and he successfully killed his first deer.

VERY nice buck there Mike. :Here's To Ya:

Lots of character in his rack. :Oh Yeah!:

She may be disappointed in not being able to take him herself but i bet she is proud of here "ole man" for dumping him on the spot.

All of you are to be congratulated. :applause:

Thread starter #12

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Must be looking for something special.
Seen mule bucks in my area that I never seen all year of farming so bucks moving.
Go enjoy the hunt.
And make so memories
She wants a real good deer and she's passed numerous bucks this fall throughout muzzleloader and now rifle season waiting for the right one. We will do our best!

Top Bottom