Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

2019 Season

blacktail

Custom Knives and Game Calls
Reaction score
Rifle season here in Alberta started fairly slow and steady this year.
With my work schedule I had the first four days and the last 4 days of the season to hunt.
I had drawn WT and Mulie doe tags as well as a Mulie buck tag.
I had a young fella from the coast put in with me so he had a mulie buck tag as well.
My first 4 days were basically scouting for when Ian was to come out at the end and want really concerned about dropping anything as I still have half a moose and antelope in the freezer.

blacktail

Reaction score
After having a long convo with my son about how he didn't have a chance to hunt this year and him wanting any meat he could get to fill his freezer,the Grampa in me decided my two grandbabies would be better served with some good protein.

Second day of the first four at dusk brought me to a favorite field that I have had great success.
Ten minutes before legal dark saw 20 deer in the field .
The 2506 spoke and the120 grain Nosler covered the 268 yards quickly and a nice fat whitetail doe was down.
20191107_203001.jpg

blacktail

Reaction score
Beacause of my over abundance of freezer meat I had intended on waiting for a good mule deer buck and was more concerned about getting the young fella that was coming to hunt a good deer as he had never dropped a mule deer buck.
First day of the second set of four saw us scouting and seeing quite a few deer but they were not cooperating at all.
We hunted hard for 3 days and finally I decided to take a small buck that gave me a gimme opportunity for the grand kids freezer.20191108_161623.jpg

blacktail

Reaction score
Last day of the season broke and found us glassing a side hill when we noticed a good buck with a small group of does up in a draw going to bed. It had snowed a little the night before and they stood out like a beacon again the white backdrop.
Hunt was on !!
We covered the ground in fairly quick manner and as luck would have we were busted by an unseen doe and they crested the ridge and down into another drainage.
Perseverance paid off and in short time we had the buck on the ground.
The only thing was that of course he ended up at the bottom of a DEEP drainage coulee.
Ian made a phenomenal shot on this buck at 1015 in the morning and by the time we got him out it was 530 PM when he was finally in the back of the truck.
We had to quarter and skin him out to get him up and carried him out in packs.

Top Bottom