Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

30-06 long range

Thread starter #1
I have my father's gun 1955 30-06 Remington. I always thought of it as my moose shopping cart (Ontario). I did not think this was a long range (up to 400 yds) effective sniper. This I found out by watching some youtube vids coyote/wolf hunts just recently. Looking forward to some experimenting at the firing range and being ready if Alberni Valley gets another wolf pack or two. Anyone shooting this caliber long range how about posting some of your pointers? Thanks

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE/PRAW..... Cedar BC
There was a show on snipers on the history channel. They had a ww2 sniper on in his 80s they presented him with an exact replica of his service rifle. He was ringing the gong at over 500 yds with it. They also gave hin a modern sniper rifle to try rang the gong at either 1000 or 1200 with it. Not bad for a 100 year old caliber and 80 year old eyes. I seen my Gramps put a moose down at 500 paces wit a model 740 in 30-06 don't sell the caliber short

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
I have my father's gun 1955 30-06 Remington. I always thought of it as my moose shopping cart (Ontario). I did not think this was a long range (up to 400 yds) effective sniper. This I found out by watching some youtube vids coyote/wolf hunts just recently. Looking forward to some experimenting at the firing range and being ready if Alberni Valley gets another wolf pack or two. Anyone shooting this caliber long range how about posting some of your pointers? Thanks
PortSide;
Good morning to you, I hope all is well with you and this finds you warm enough on a cold December Saturday.

Way, way back in the dark ages before laser range finders took the guesswork out of estimating range, the most consistent way to shoot long distance and hit anything with the first shot was to have all the velocity one could manage - well or so we initially thought.

So it was that a couple shooting buddies and I would head into the mountains west of Oliver, pick out a mutually agreed to random rock that was "way out there" and see who could hit it first. I was shooting against a reasonably custom pre-war Model 70 with a 26" target barrel in .308 Norma launching 200gr Speers and a very early Ruger No 1 which had been rechambered to .300 Weatherby, also shooting 200gr Speers.

I was at the time shooting a Browning BBR with a 21" barrel shooting 173gr Lake City Match bullets at 2900fps with a load I won't print because in later - read that more sober thinking - years I decided was stupid to load that hot.

Anyway even though I was an honest 100fps slower than the other two rifles, once I did enough shooting at extended ranges I'd hit the rock first more often than not, surely enough to not have to buy coffee at Crucetti's when we landed back in town. I should add that we paced off a few of the rocks, I know that's not super scientific measurement, but anyway some were more than 800 long steps away so we stretched 'em out and then some.

Looking back on it now, I believe that the 173gr Lake City bullets were the magic ingredient to my success, that is that at the velocity I was shooting them they cut the wind "just that much better" than the 200gr Speer flat base did. The other two chaps could shoot as good as I on any day so it wasn't my stellar abilities by any stretch.

We absolutely found out that trajectories are quite consistent with good loads, but judging wind was, as they say - "the bitch"...... Several times we'd see bullets blown off between 5'-8'.

I recall doing a solo test one windy day with a .308 788 carbine using the same 173gr Lake City Match bullets - maybe 2400fps in that rifle and some 130gr Speer Hollow Points going over 2900fps. The little Speers ruled the world for accuracy and on ground hogs - legal to shoot back then - out to 250yds or so, but after that the slipperier Lake City bullets would blow sideways markedly less. On that day it was at least 5' less than the 130gr.

All that to say if I was going to shoot serious long range today with an '06, I'd pick up a good laser range finder, install a scope with either turrets or dots - or both like the tactical Bushnell's have and they're okay for the money - and then I'd shoot a good match grade bullet with a 168gr or larger bullet.

I'm on a couple other forums and there's a chap from Montana on there who regularly hits what he's aiming at with both the .308 and .30-06 at 1000yds doing that.

Oh, lastly if you're really stretching it out there with any cartridge, shot to shot velocity being consistent really helps as even 50fps difference at 1000yds will disperse the hits more than you'd like.

Hopefully that was useful to you sir or to someone else out there in the ether space this morning. Good luck with your long range shooting - for sure and certain if woflies are the target!

All the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

Thread starter #8
Dwayne... thanks again for another thorough post this time on my long range 06 question. I look forward to some time in the field with your suggestions. After 50 years of hunting I have learned much on this forum from the knowledge resource so amply represented here.

.... Gary

Top Bottom