Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

.455 Webley

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
I honestly can't help you. They were fairly inexpensive at one point in time but that was years ago. That one looks to be in very nice shape. Gun Broker has various Webley's from $ 400 to $ 1600 USD.

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

Walter

Long-Time Member
I honestly can't help you. They were fairly inexpensive at one point in time but that was years ago. That one looks to be in very nice shape. Gun Broker has various Webley's from $ 400 to $ 1600 USD.
Thks Mike , i guess like anything else it depends on condition. They made top breaks and normal revolvers with a blazing velocity of approx 650 fps firing a 265 gr bullet. They say after testing that the .455 had superior stopping power compared to the .45 Colt...? I would not want to be on the receiving end of either.

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Thks Mike , i guess like anything else it depends on condition. They made top breaks and normal revolvers with a blazing velocity of approx 650 fps firing a 265 gr bullet. They say after testing that the .455 had superior stopping power compared to the .45 Colt...? I would not want to be on the receiving end of either.
I could not agree with you on that more Lloyd. Any snow your way yesterday?

johniv

A lovely old Smith. We had one come thru the shop where I work about a year ago. Sadly it had been converted to .45 ACP, still brought about 500 bucks I think.

Trinity

Watching with interest........recently inherited one very similar only the break action model, came with original canvas holster which is in minty shape and its cleaning rod. Didn't know ammo was still available......may have to see about taking her out on a date.:Oh Yeah!: Reminds me of the rig Indiana Jones capped the sword wielder in Raiders of the lost Ark.

Thread starter #9

Walter

Long-Time Member
Watching with interest........recently inherited one very similar only the break action model, came with original canvas holster which is in minty shape and its cleaning rod. Didn't know ammo was still available......may have to see about taking her out on a date.:Oh Yeah!: Reminds me of the rig Indiana Jones capped the sword wielder in Raiders of the lost Ark.
My post is not exactly accurate , the gun IS a S&W chambered in .455 , but not a Webley. Your top break could be a rare piece especially if cylinder has not being shaved to except .45 acp with half moon clips . I will be speaking with a gun guy [walking encyclopedia ] on Monday and will pick his brain a bit.

Thread starter #12

Walter

Long-Time Member
Spoke with a guy at a local gun shop and he said the Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered in .455 are not overly rare [ 75,000 produced ? ]
He says they have had them come thru his shop and last one went for $400.00 .
I thouht there would be a lot more value put on them and wonder how many survived the Wars.
Beauty [and value] is in the eye of the beholder........

gunseller

Almost all we see down here have be rechambered to 45 Colt. That is the S&W brand. The Webles get the back of the cylinder shaved to take 45 ACPs in half moon clips. When I shoot mine I use 45 auto rim brass and a Weble load. More fun that way.
Steve

johniv

It's a shame o see those old revolvers altered. I have a Mk VI that is unaltered along with a .22 conversion unit (single shot) that replaces the cylinder, with a rifled tube down the bore . I don't use the .22 much but it is a cool addition to a classic old WW1 revolver.
John

johniv

120.00 A BOX!!! Good gosh I am out of touch. I haven't bought a box of that stuff for quite a few years. I have been reloading the same couple of hundred Dominion cases I have, for quite a while. Admit I don't shoot it much, but I sure will cherish those cases. The .455 is an easy one to load for, and easy (and fun) to shoot.
John

Top Bottom