Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

5-20 vs 5-30 fully synthetic oils in modern engines...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Many newer engines, specifically the 5.0 liter "coyote" V8 ford engine, recommend using
5-20 wt motor oils as opposed the former 5-30 wt oils. Forums related to the subject site
slightly better mileage but then there's a whole bunch of pros and cons on the subject.
I'm curious if a fully synthetic 5-30 would do as good or better in long life protection, especially
in hot climates and if the engine is subject to hard work such as pulling a heavy trailer. Most
everyone agrees that using ford's recommended type of oil filter is very important.
Any qualified opinions or thoughts on the matter?

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Not sure about Fords But CC's Jeep calls for 0-30 synthetic. I have used 15-40 the same as my Cummins, Cats and Series 60s. since we got it. No issues in 3 yrs.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I realize that the numbers relate to the oil's viscosity, but would there be a difference in flow-ability
between natural oils vs a fully synthetic product with the same advertised viscosity? I know that there
was a marked difference in my Nissan 4.0 liter engine's idle oil pressure once the engine was at operating
temperature when I switched to a fully synthetic oil of the same viscosity...it was lower which I took to mean
it had higher 'flow-ability' or resistance.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
To my mind - synthetic oils were developed and produced to handle the higher operating temperatures and pressures in modern engines.

I could be way out to lunch on this and I stand ready and willing to be corrected, but's that's what I think.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Ford recommended 5-20 for years...then went back to recommend 5-30 in its place......
I change my oil in both older Fords,every 3-4 months and use a good filter........I put little mileage on them......Full syn.oil is really pricy......guess I could be off base,but reg.service and filter (NOT FRAMS!!!!!!!) every 3-4 months keep things running well.......oil when drained never stinks and still feels ''sticky''. If I had a new FORD or RAM, I might spring for SYN. oil but then,i don't think money would be a factor then.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Ford recommended 5-20 for years...then went back to recommend 5-30 in its place......
I change my oil in both older Fords,every 3-4 months and use a good filter........I put little mileage on them......Full syn.oil is really pricy......guess I could be off base,but reg.service and filter (NOT FRAMS!!!!!!!) every 3-4 months keep things running well.......oil when drained never stinks and still feels ''sticky''. If I had a new FORD or RAM, I might spring for SYN. oil but then,i don't think money would be a factor then.
I am curious because I have several big jugs of synthetic 5-30 that's never been used.
They were on sale so I couldn't resist but then I found out that my Nissan didn't like it.

robert5

Reaction score
I spent part of my life as a licenced mechanic (background). My believe is do not try and second quess the engineers
who designed the motor and made the oil recommendations. Go with what the factory recommends.
Synthetic oils in my opinion are far better than Dino oils. Better flow abilty, temp range, cleaning and the list goes on.
I personally run synthetic oils in all our vehicles including boat, side by side, lawn mowers, small Honda engines.
All diffs, trans, t/box use synthetic oils.
I also use synthetic media filters, agree not Fram. NAPA filters are Wix which are good. My Cummins has 422,000
KMS all on Mobil I and Donaldson filters. look for CDN Tire or WalMart to put it on sale. I also believe in using only
Premium brand oils. Lots of info on Bob the oil guy form.

Buck fever

Reaction score
When I put a rebuilt diesel in my boat, it leaked oil. The mechanic said he ran it for several hours with no leaks. I used synthetic oil.Later I hitched a ride with a mechanic, who told me that synthetic only works on new engines , on older engines and rebuilt engines, it leaks like hell, just too viscous, and runny .
I was also told it will wear out marine trannys, as it is so slipery that they dont engage completely .

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
My F 150 has well over 400,000 on it now.
Always (for the past several years) it only goes to one mechanic (he likes the truck).
One day a year or so ago I was feeling so inclined, so did an oil change and switched to synthetic by myself.
When my mechanically inclined buddy heard about that, he called in a panic!
Get that damn truck over here NOW!! :Yikes!:

As he explained, synthetic is great for new engines, and old ones that have run with it all their lives.
Apparently you can cause some serious issues putting it in an older (many miles) engine.
Who Knew?
We're pushing for 500K right was my buddies query.
Damn straight!
Then don't pull anymore bonehead stunts like this one, and we'll probably get there.
Roger THAT! :Doh!:

Cheers,
Nog

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Had 660,000+kms on my '91.5 Dodge/Cummins when it was sold . . . . dino oil / good filter
Was using Chevron Delo 400 and Shell Rotella T . . .
When this truck was made, synthetic oil was a specialty product.

On the other hand . . .
'92 H-D FXRS Lowrider . . . has been lubed synthetically since 2001. Two-up in 100+F Nevada, Utah, California. Smooth and leak free.

What's best ? ? ?
Nothing like a good 'oil thread' . . . . . :kewl: :kewl:

Top Bottom