Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

A great wilderness park... a lesson

Thread starter #1

PortSide

I have been to this park on the shores of Lake Superior ... a very wild, inaccessible (mostly) wilderness. This was back in the 70's.... Cariboo is good shape and optimism high. So here is another lesson for us here in BC

"Black bears, moose, peregrine falcons, lynxes and wolf packs are found in this park. There is also a small population of woodland caribou but their numbers declined from 30 caribou in the 1970s to about four in 2012 mainly due to wolf predation.[2][3] In early 2017, after previous failures to locate any remaining caribou, researchers turned to advanced thermal imaging technology to survey the area for caribou. This survey revealed caribou are now extirpated from the park."

I lived on the north shore of the BIG SEA WATER back in '67-8..in MARATHON and worked at the mine in MANITOUAGE.....was a wild place back then !!! often dodged moose on the highway with the bike on way to work...its just too damn cold for me now. KAPISCASING was almost 50 below this week.... the 2 weeks between winter and early spring is nice BEFORE the black flies come out lol lol

Thread starter #3

PortSide

I hear you N11 ... worked for MNR up there as a crown land appraiser ...opened up lots of lakes for "camp" lots up there. I remember taking the trans Canada many times and a the cut off for Manitouwadge I think the biggest gold mine is now there ...exactly where I used to stop for a leak (over billions of $$ of gold)...Hemlo I think they call it. Also used to be a little restaurant as far as I recollect at the corner. Loved the walleye (pickerel) ... pretty small but great in the pan. Black flies are some kind of natural phenom swarm that has to be seen to be believed....

Heyblast

Ontario is really messed up with their ideas on wolfs. They have created a new sub species called the Algonquin wolf nothing more than a coyote dog cross. Closed seasons/areas for coyotes to protect these wolfs. They let a herd of caribou be almost wiped out on a island in Lake Superior by wolfs rather than remove the wolfs.
Of topic yes it’s called Hemlo, a huge gold strike, there were three mine sites involved originally now two I believe. Im pretty sure the restaurant is long gone but at the time there were two pay phones there and a line up every night to use them. The black fies well what can I say, they were worse in northern Manitoba were I worked for a summer underground, but they were awful.

Thread starter #5

PortSide

There is a herd of elk now surving in an area known as Burwash near Sudbury On. The herd has been monitored and managed for past 20 years and now numbering about 120. In a report mortality report it was stated that Black Bear predation takes 50% of the calves. I think I will take down the couple of blackies that mangle our fruit trees here next fall. Anything to help out the alarming decline of BT we see around the farm. Devasting, on going industrial scale clear cutting nearby has taken vast tracts of forest out .... see it to believe it. That is the biggest hit on BT as this is a forest species .... with no forest as was historically here ....anymore. Wolves are not a problem but I do believe bb could be reduced in this area...see them a lot.

i was warned to ''keep away'' from BURWASH the bulls/screws took a dim view of young guys on motorbikes throwing smokes over the fences to guys ''in the camp'' :OH-OH::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
back in 19 and 68 :Yee Ha:

Top Bottom