Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

A real spooky feeling!

Thread starter #1

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I've been fighting a real nasty head cold the last few days which makes it difficult to breath freely
when laying down and trying to sleep. Well, I woke up to a long moaning and whining coming
from my dog who was lying with his head across my hip. I've never heard him make that sound
for such a long time before. I felt alright, didn't have chest pains or anything, but it was as if he
was either mourning my imminent or actual death. When I asked him what was wrong he immediately
crawled up to my face and tried licking me and snuggling as tight as he could. It was a startling feeling
for sure. As I'm still here and everything seems fine, I can only assume my erratic breathing spooked him.

Thread starter #3

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Nope, been tested because my son has it and uses a machine to sleep...same with a couple of friends.
The noise he was making wasn't as if he was in pain either. It was the same sound he makes when he
wants something he can't reach but only much longer and louder. At any rate, he and I are still here
and don't seem to be any worse for wear.

Thread starter #6

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Could be alright, but it is a bit dis-concerning when reading articles about dogs being able to sense
cancer and other imminent health problems in people. His noise was similar to when he wants
something he can't reach, only louder and much longer. It wasn't a noise I would associate with
him personally being in pain or discomfort. He seemed to settle down when I told him not to worry,
someone would make sure he was feed and got his treats, lol!

Thread starter #9

Big Lew

This IS My Life
On the contrary, I'm sure you were just smelling like fried chicken or something else tasty in his world. Or you were stinkin real bad, lots of dogs seem to want to be rubbing on anything really stinky. So maybe that's it, you're just an old stinker? ;-)
He he he! It's a toss up as to who has the most potent flatulent gases. I figure that if I can
put up with his, he has to put up with mine, lol!

We'll at the end of the day Dave, trust your gut instinct and intuition my friend...also your dog's. Hope all is well Dave. Sometimes dogs behave weird when an earthquake is about to happen, hard to say for sure at this point.
ODD that you say that ,NOV. .....Back in Quebec in fall of 1971,i was grouse hunting with our border collie up in an area of pine trees and small hills.....all of a sudden,the dog dropped down flat,shaking and whimpering.....in less than a minute, the shaking started and in the distance ,I could see trees moving from side to side........a verrrrry rare earth quake for that area....so ya,they sense ''viberations.

Our fur kids have a kind of sixth sense that we don't.
When they sense all is not exactly as it should be with you, they get concerned.
I believe this is what you encountered Dave.
He was concerned about you, and the verbalizing was accidental.

Boogs does the same with me all the time.
When I am sick / wounded, he will not leave my side.
And he often verbalizes his concerns.

Take it for what it is.
Your pup loves you, and wants you to stick around.
Damn happy to hear you plan on doing so!! :Here's To Ya:

Cheers,
Nog

Hey DAVE,
Hope you don't worry yourself too much......like was said, your puppy ''senses'' your discomfort, giving off vibes /scent the he is picking up on......certainly physical and not of a mystical
nature.....
except for JUSTIN TRUDEAU going down in flames, I don't think animals or people can know what the future holds for us.
cheers glenn

Thread starter #15

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Hey DAVE,
Hope you don't worry yourself too much......like was said, your puppy ''senses'' your discomfort, giving off vibes /scent the he is picking up on......certainly physical and not of a mystical
nature.....
except for JUSTIN TRUDEAU going down in flames, I don't think animals or people can know what the future holds for us.
cheers glenn
Nope, not worried, just thought it was very weird. I checked and there weren't any earthquakes near here.
He hates coons...maybe he sensed there was one outside that he wanted to chase although he generally
barks excitedly and runs around wanting to get out.

Iron Glove

A number of years ago my Father - In - Law passed away peacefully at home with the family there.
I went home and told our Toller Molly that "Grampa is gone, let's go say bye to him" and we walked over to Grampa's house.
Molly and Grampa were very close, they really loved each other and Molly was pretty excited about going over to see him.
She ran into his bedroom, jumped up on the bed, sniffed the body, looked a bit confused then got on her hind legs and sniffed in the air above the body as if she was searching for something. After half a minute of "searching", her tail stopped wagging and she jumped down from the bed and left to room.
It was like she could sense a "spirit" floating above the body.
I don't believe in the after life but it sure spooked me.
Grampa's cat always slept on the bed with him and as he gradually got closer to death, the cat slept closer and closer. When he took his last breath the cat hopped off the bed and never went back to it.
Yes, animals have senses that we can't even imagine.

Top Bottom