Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Alaska Brown Bears

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:24)

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
So here is my opinion. I agree with Brad BUT there are other considerations here. 1 how often will it be used after this hunt, as a new shooter is the venerable 375H&H "to much gun"? IMHO a 338WM, with a good grade 220+ gr bullet will do the job and would be a better investment in the long run(I'd also tote the 325WSM but it is fast becoming a reloaders cartridge). I have long said if I could only own 3 center fire rifles
they would be a 338WM, something in the 25-280 range and a 22-250 or 223. JMO but that would cover all N/A big game. Ammo for the 338 is reasonably "cheap" and easy to find hence being able to practice more with the rifle of choice, and that is imperative for an adventure like this.

REMINGTON JIM

Rem M700 XCR 11 375 H&H Shooter
Reaction score
A Good shooting 300 WBee or 300 RUM or 300 Win Mag with a Good 200 gr PREMIUM bullet such as a Swift A Frame - Barnes TTSX and a GREAT shot will get the Job done ! Better is a 338 Win Mag with a Premium Bullet in the 225 -250 gr range ! Best Yet is a 340 Wbee or a 338 RUM with 250 gr -275 gr bullets - Any of the Big 35 cals 358 Norma or 358 STA ! with 250-300 grs will do well too ! 375 Cals include the 375 H&H 375 Ruger and the BIG walloper the 375 RUM ! All will get the Job done with Great shots on a Calm Bear ! NOW Heres where the the Big Cals with BIG bullets make a difference - A Wounded bear after bad first shot attacking you ! The 250 -300 gr bullets will provide a Greater degree of stopping power ! I don't think a guy like Ghost Pepper with his shooting problems will ever be able to shot a rifle in a Cartridge capable of Being a GOOD Bear thumper ! Its takes a BUNCH of shooting time to get good with the BIG magnums with Big bullets too ! And its costly no matter what the cartridge is . Im going to KILL a Brownie in the next couple of years in Alaska and the MIN Cartridge i will use is a 338 RUM or a 375 H&H with a 250 gr TTSX or 300 gr Swift A Frame ! Im prob going to rechamber my 375 H&H to 375 WBee or 375 RUM and use 300 gr A Frames ! I've shot a FEW bears now and even a Blackie will once in a while surprise you about TUFFnest . all just My OPINION :Oh Yeah!: RJ

Ghost Pepper

Reaction score
After all your advice and input I have decided to save my pennies and purchase something more appropriate for the adventure. I have almost surely decided on a 338 Winchester Magnum due to the cost of ammo and it's availability. My prospective guide is on board with a 338, so the search begins. Thanks to all and my apologies for the way I may have come across in my first few posts I really do appreciate this site and the member who made constructive comments on this.

CrewSafeBC

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
After all your advice and input I have decided to save my pennies and purchase something more appropriate for the adventure. I have almost surely decided on a 338 Winchester Magnum due to the cost of ammo and it's availability. My prospective guide is on board with a 338, so the search begins. Thanks to all and my apologies for the way I may have come across in my first few posts I really do appreciate this site and the member who made constructive comments on this.
Excellent choice,,may I recommend 250 grain bullets of the Nosler Partition variety

CrewSafeBC

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
In your original post Ghost Pepper, you've noted that you've "never shot a bear before" . . . . . . . . Alaska Brown's are a heck of a way to start !
Be careful . . . . do your homework.
There's good information for you in this thread.
Dont think he's been here long enough for a "Been nice knowin ya" send off..lol

CrewSafeBC

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Where are you GP. I would consider letting you try out my "bear guns" if there is someplace we could get together. 325WSM, 338WM, 375 H&H, 458WM. These are my choices to HUNT G bears. IMO although I have and use a 450 Marlin and a 444 Marlin, I would not recommend them as go to guns for a G bear hunt mostly due to range restrictions. Just my 2 cents. I would listen to everyone who has chimed in so far, all competent hunters and some good hands on experience. one more things to consider. The target below is one of my 338s at 243 yards pushing 225 gr bullets. IMO this is the hind of performance you should be practicing and striving for, I am not a sharp shooter by any means so If I can do it so can you.

View attachment 16141
Jim, where did you get that target,,find it at the range,,BBAHAHAHA,,,sorry couldnt resist Buddy,,,are ya gonna make it up here this spring

Ghost Pepper

Reaction score
Lately, I have been haunting gun stores like a true ghost, testing the fit of different guns. Bearing in mind cost, I have decided on a Savage 110 Trophy Hunter or a Weatherby Vanguard. Any recommendations pro or con on either?

KH4

Reaction score
Personally, I like the fit and feel of the Weatherby over the Savage, but if you're going for a Vanguard, can you scrape up a couple hundred more for a Tikka? Also, Howa makes the received for the Vanguard, so if that's what you like, consider a Howa as they are often a little cheaper.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
The whole key is the fit/feel of any given rifle to any given person.

There are (believe is or not) some people that a Savage fits really, really well..... :Hi:

Ghost Pepper

Reaction score
After exploring my options further I am set on either a Savage 111Trophy Hunter it is in my price range, comes in 338 and seems to fit quite well. If it comes with the Nikon Scope I will order the package however if it comes with the Weaver I will buy the rifle only and look for a scope separately. I did check out the Howa but couldn't find one in 338.

KH4

Reaction score
Make sure the stock is straight. I've held synthetic savage stocks where the tip is bent over enough that it's touching the barrel,

REMINGTON JIM

Rem M700 XCR 11 375 H&H Shooter
Reaction score
Can't BEAT a WBEE Vanguard ( HOWA 1500 ) for the Price BUT there a BIT Heavy BUT in 338 Win Mag that will help tame the recoil ! My NEW 416 Taylor is built off a WBEE Vanguard action which was a 7 MM Rem Mag. I cannot Comment on the Salvage as i have Never even held one ! :Yikes!: lol RJ

Oh i did own a Salvage Alaskan Brush Hunter ?? in 375 Ruger for 3 days until i sold it ! A Bit of a CLUB more then a rifle as i remember it now ! lol :ROFL:

Last edited:

Ghost Pepper

Reaction score
Thank you Walleye King, when the time comes I will be looking for advice in that area as well. Bow Walker, I think I have tested the fit of almost every rifle on the market in the last month lol. Although I did not actually handle the Brush Hunter, I did lay hands on a lot of Savages and found them to be quite comfortable to shoulder and aim so I am going in a little bit blind but if the Brush Hunter feels like the rest in my hands I should be happy with it.
I am also working on my flinch, I have bought a case of 223 ammo and have started practicing with my friends Axis. He says it will give me a better feel than my 22. What are your opinions on this thought.
Thanks for all your advice on this great adventure that I am planning.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
From the little I know about Savages they have the "Acu-trigger" so I would think they could be both set up the same.

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Thank you Walleye King, when the time comes I will be looking for advice in that area as well. Bow Walker, I think I have tested the fit of almost every rifle on the market in the last month lol. Although I did not actually handle the Brush Hunter, I did lay hands on a lot of Savages and found them to be quite comfortable to shoulder and aim so I am going in a little bit blind but if the Brush Hunter feels like the rest in my hands I should be happy with it.
I am also working on my flinch, I have bought a case of 223 ammo and have started practicing with my friends Axis. He says it will give me a better feel than my 22. What are your opinions on this thought.
Thanks for all your advice on this great adventure that I am planning.
The length of pull should be almost identical between your rifle and the Axis 223. Due to weight, they will feel a bit different but there is no such thing as bad trigger practice. I like your thoughts of practice with the 223, it will help develop good shooting habits. See if you can borrow a 270, 308 or 30/06 at some point and fire some rounds with it. When you start shooting your 338, less is more. Do not shoot until you are tired. Work your way into the rifle and it will work its way into your shooting routine. I think you are on your way but I'm always happy to help out.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
When you're ready, start with step 1.
  • Step 1: Slowly exhale. Sitting upright, slowly exhale through your mouth, getting all the oxygen out of your lungs. ...
  • Step 2: Slowly inhale. Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose to the count of four. ...
  • Step 3: Hold your breath. ...
  • Step 4: Exhale again. ...
  • Step 5: Hold your breath again.
Box Breathing: Techniques, Benefits, GIF, and More - Healthline

https://www.healthline.com/health/box-breathing

t

this is not how I was taught to breath but I was watching a show about a family of competitive shooters and they mentioned "square breathing" so I had to look it up.....see above...I was taught to take a normal breath while clearing your mind...next another normal breath then breath half out everything should steady out...then slowly squeeze the trigger

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
.I was taught to take a normal breath while clearing your mind...next another normal breath then breath half out everything should steady out...then slowly squeeze the trigger

This
:Here's To Ya:

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Ghost Pepper, if you are SILAS LONGWAY (and it sure looks like him) I'm surprised you are still around.....thought you would have been ''burnt-alive'' by now.....
as to the bear, OWL CREEK ???????

if I am in error,well, glad you connected... how about a couple more photos.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
I have managed to find a Savage 116 Brush Hunter in 338 Winchester Magnum from another web site. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I like the short barrel, should make it easier to handle in the brush!! Take a look at 225gr Nosler Accubonds from Federal Premium, they work like a charm in my short barreled Ruger 338, and no problems making longer shots either as there is no need for a 26 inch barrel.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I agree with you CS, my Weatherby "Guide Gun" is a 338 with a 20" barrel it is very accurate out to 243yds(furthest I've shot it.) I like the open sights and quick detach mounts if you need to pull the scope for up close and personal work.

Top Bottom