Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

anyone heard any news on the missing merritt cowboy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
CC and I spent 10 days riding that same country last summer. It's fairly open but lots of draws and gullies etc. A few G-bears lots of wolves. I'd be surprised if this has a happy ending.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Nope but the people we stayed with have seen a few. Said they were getting more plentiful all the time and my buddy in Logan Lk said he has seen a couple of different ones in the Mammot area.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I'm holding out hope for a good outcome to this but the more time passes with no results the more that hope is diminishing.

KH4

Reaction score
Well, if he was out there and keeping warm, smoke from a fire would be probably visible. If he's not keeping warm, the cold has probably snuck up on him. Sadly, it's probably a recovery operation now, unless something more nefarious has happen.

For better of for worse, our SAR system relies on volunteers, and they are not compensated for lost time at work. The initial search will always have strong numbers, but as things drag out, folks have to head home and head back to work. nobody plans for a multi-week search.

Interesting mystery, the riderless horse is almost something out of a hollywood western.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Looks like the outcome wasn't good. Apparently they found his body on the Nicola River, near the ranch. Spec is his horse was moved to confuse the issue.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
bad shyte happens,. had a young fellow working for my s.i.l. couple years ago. we had talked about the most important thing in his life,his child...couple weeks later he left the north island job site early to go to Courtenay......long story short..... police found his truck after seeing video of him purchasing 2 cups take out coffee......1 cup in truck..........a YEAR LATER he was found,several miles away,near a popular hiking trail
hanging from a tree....police said ''suiside''...... strange...I was told he could not tie a simple knot !!!!
makes you wonder....

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
OK then, what's really going on Just reporting what I have read, let us know what you have.

Reaction score
I don't really know anything further, but I know for a fact they haven't found him and it was just a rumor going around town.
There have been a few rumors floating around town about this but I won't bother posting them as they have no basis in fact.
I wasn't meaning it to be confrontational if that's how it was taken, it's tough to convey in text form sometimes.
I will say that knowing the area quite well where he was supposed to be missing and given the spot his horse was found it doesn't add up.
I suspect something nefarious has taken place and I doubt he'll ever be found.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I have traveled about and backpacked in the mountainous area around Mammit Lake, especially north
and north west of it even before all the logging took place and can attest to how rugged it is so the potential
for something to go wrong even for someone experienced on a horse is high.
One thing that puzzles me though is his horse found wandering by a hunter. From accounts, his horse was
his working companion. Further, most cow ponies are taught to ground tie. Even my endurance horse was
taught that, so it's a bit strange that his horse didn't remain where his master had a problem. just my thoughts
on the matter...

Last edited:

sooke45

Reaction score
Yah but almost all cattle are off range(or should be) by now so I wouldn't put rustling on the top of the list.
No, well word is he was out looking for strays at least 12, still unrecovered as well as himself. Dont discount it, you seem to be very opioniated at least. Not saying I am correct in my theory but dont discount my opinion as NOT been at top of the list, otherwise disregarded.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Opinionated? No, but opinions based on a lifetime of experience yes, but then all the posts on this case are strictly opinion at this point. I have hunted strays late in the year, I have also dealt with rustlers. I didn't say it couldn't be the case, I did say it wouldn't be the first thing on my list. I'd put predators higher on the list for missing cattle than rustlers, But apparently my opinion is more "opinionated" than everyone else's opinions, And you know what they say about opinions right.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
Opinionated? No, but opinions based on a lifetime of experience yes, but then all the posts on this case are strictly opinion at this point. I have hunted strays late in the year, I have also dealt with rustlers. I didn't say it couldn't be the case, I did say it wouldn't be the first thing on my list. I'd put predators higher on the list for missing cattle than rustlers, But apparently my opinion is more "opinionated" than everyone else's opinions, And you know what they say about opinions right.
The older you get, the less your opinions are valued. Get over it, you're just one of the old dogs like me. :ROFL:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Hopefully time will tell, but as he was new to the area, there are a lot of possible scenarios
involving accident or misadventure.
Yes, there are rustlers, there are poachers, there is even the possibility that someone resented
him coming in from the States and taking the manager position but it's all speculation until his
sad tale is unraveled...if ever.

Last edited:

wildcatter

Reaction score
I have traveled about and backpacked in the mountainous area around Mammit Lake, especially north
and north west of it even before all the logging took place and can attest to how rugged it is so the potential
for something to go wrong even for someone experienced on a horse is high.
One thing that puzzles me though is his horse found wandering by a hunter. From accounts, his horse was
his working companion. Further, most cow ponies are taught to ground tie. Even my endurance horse was
taught that, so it's a bit strange that his horse didn't remain where his master had a problem. just my thoughts
on the matter...

Perhaps a good slap on the ass of the horse took care of that.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
No, well word is he was out looking for strays at least 12, still unrecovered as well as himself. Dont discount it, you seem to be very opioniated at least. Not saying I am correct in my theory but dont discount my opinion as NOT been at top of the list, otherwise disregarded.
We all have our theories and multiple theories as to what may have happened. Us outdoors people are especially interested in this case since most of us are "out there" too. What isn't theory is the fact a man has gone out to the hills to do his job and hasn't come back. A guy like this would of been able to walk out, start a smoky fire or at least have been spotted by a rescue chopper. He has failed to do any of these things which point towards either an accident which incapacitated him despite the fact his horse was in sound shape or his disappearance could be human caused.

Smokercraft

Reaction score
A friend of mine was out checking cows he was a cowboy, a good rider, his horse shied and he was dumped, hit his head and died. one just never knows.
A good friend of mine was guiding a hunter on horseback a few years ago. The hunter had a heart attack and fell off his dead.
So your right anything could be possible....

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
You just never know,how true.
back in 75,my mother phoned me, and asked if I could drive over and take my father to local medical center,said he had severe indigestion......He was 64,non drinker-non smoker.....physically fit,active.
we walked him up 3 flights of stairs at medical center..just a doctor on site.....doctor said he was under cardiac arrest,get him to hospital,10 miles away.......next day, another massive heart attack.. times up..who's fault,mine ???or was it his time??? you just never know.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
One of my brothers was only 36 when he had his first of 3 massive heart attacks....
you never know. Look at the young athletes that croak suddenly when playing school sports.

Steele Shot

Reaction score
I suppose the only one that can guarantee any knowledge of his fate at this stage are the perpetrators, if any were involved, God and the victim himself. So far none of them seem to be talking.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I suppose the only one that can guarantee any knowledge of his fate at this stage are the perpetrators, if any were involved, God and the victim himself. So far none of them seem to be talking.
My experience only...God doesn't talk much...he watches...he lets you phuck up and gives you time to "repent" ...failure to acknowledge your mistakes?...well than be opens a can of whoop ass, the wise acknowledge...the fool hardy "keep on trucking" only to 'crash". Like I said...my experience only. Try this experiment at your own risk, up to you...but I wouldn't challenge...you won't win

sooke45

Reaction score
Been thinking, something amiss with this whole thing./ Provided info- his horse found alone immediate area, broken rein? vehickle and horse trailer in his driveway?? RCMP req video cam of Merrirr ara during that weekend?
I am beginning to t5hink he was never in the area of the wandering horse. Meant to be surmised he had succoccmbed to tragedy. not t so sure of that. Searches turned up not a clue or any evidence of the disappearreance.. Some planned for this incident? Maybe, not enough evidence to formulate further explanation.
How did his horse get into t5hat area 2 miles north of Merritt? Why was his vehicle and horse trailer still parked at his res wherever that was..
Almost similar to the missing male fou7nd one year later in Nevada where the search had combed the initial area where he was found? I am still wondering about that one. Keep in mind in this instance a persons body must be located within one year re insurance purposes!! It was.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Very strange indeed. Did anyone who knows the vic actually inspect the horse and rigging? I know most of us have odd little habits the betray most of us long time riders I know my wife could tell you in a minute if I wasn't the one to have saddled my horse. May sound strange to non riders but little habits betray us to those who know us as horsemen?

:Maybe:

Top Bottom