Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Anyone Tie Their Nock Sets?

Thread starter #1
I speak of compound bows here.....

Most shooters these days are concerned with getting the most speed that they can from their setup. Maximizing arrow speed does several things that are beneficial - one of those things is that it makes for a flatter trajectory for the missile (arrow) as it heads down range to the target, be it living or just paper. A flatter trajectory can help you miss intervening branches and allow you to shoot thru seemingly tight windows between trees, brush, or other objects.

Achieving maximum speed from any setup is usually done by torquing down the limb bolts to their maximum - but do not forget to let off that 1/4 turn after the bolts are tighten as much as they will go.

After doing that, there are other ways to help gain every possible fps from your setup - and taking excess weight off the string is one of those ways. Things that are attached to the string will slow down your bow as much as 5 fps if you are not careful. Now 5 fps might not sound like much, but it could possibly mean a clean, quick kill or a deflected arrow and a miss altogether.... your choice here.

One of the things on a string that is not necessary (well, actually two things) are those little brass n rubber "nock-set" bushings that get clamped where an arrow needs to be placed on the string. They look like this....
Nocking Points.jpg

...and they weigh anywhere from 2 to 5 grains each, and can rob you of some vital (to some shooters) fps.

So - what to do? You need something to easily mark where an arrow should be nocked onto the string, but what to use that won't steal that much sought after speed? Try tying your own nock sets with very small diameter (and light) serving thread. Yup - serving thread...it has many uses outside of its intended usage.

Here's how to tie your own light-weight, speed enhancing nock sets. All you need is the serving thread and a pair of clamp-on grips - available from any drug store.

Once you establish where the nock should be on your string (which is the subject of another thread) clamp the grips onto the string - being careful not to damage the string threads. Then place a nock in the string as pictured.

Nockset1.jpg

Begin tying a series of knots (as pictured below) on one side of the arrow nock. Tie them tight!

Nockset2.jpg

Once you have 4, 5, or 6 (your choice) knots in a row you can finish off the last knot - making sure it is tight.

Nockset3.jpg

Remove the clamp and begin another series of knots on the other side of the arrow knock. BE VERY CAREFUL TO LEAVE ENOUGH SPACE FOR THE KNOCK TO FIT WITHOUT BEING PINCHED BY THE STRING WHEN THE BOW IS AT FULL DRAW (as pictured below. Note the little spaces to either side of the nock? That negates the string pinching and holding the knock when you are at full draw.

Nockset5.jpg

Those little knots that you tied to end the nock sets? CAREFULLY use a lighter flame to burn/ melt the ends so that the knots do not come lose over time and with usage. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!! I have seen would-be bow techs burn their own strings by not paying attention while melting the ends of knots.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Before switching to a mechanical release and being advised to use a loop to reduce string damage,
yes I tied serving thread on both sides of where I wanted to place my nock. I never liked those little
metal bushings.

Thread starter #5
D-loops re the cat's meow for saving wear and tear on the string serving.

Tying on D-loops can be a tad frustrating for some..... exaggerated here to show the knots.....

D Loop Collage.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Top Bottom