Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Back home where she belongs!

Thread starter #1

Western Ghost

Finally got my (1970) ASM 1847 Whitney Walker Smoke Wagon back from my gunsmith buddy.
Had him case harden the frame and internals (kasenet) so I can keep loading 50 gr charges.
Was able to get him to machine me a couple of spare wedges, those heavy loads tend to squeeze those wedges a might,L.O.L! She weighs in at just under at 5 lbs and over 5lbs with 6 balls and 300 grs of powder.

Bottom pic is comparing the Walker to the Rem New Army
Twice the size,Twice the weight,Twice the powder,Twice the Smoke,Twice the flame and best of all Twice the FUN!

51A89674-C469-410E-BB7C-F14AD555A4E0.jpeg . Outlaw Josey(Walker) Wales.

E0625BA8-A341-416E-8148-6EE9CAF23D1B.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Walter

Long-Time Member
Just some great guns Ghost man !
Have you had anything to do with the "Schofield" .45 top break ?
I was reading the the US Army in 1877 had purchased around 8000 of them [ after improvements ] calvary soldiers liked them for the ease of un loading and loading while on horseback but they were in tough competition with the Colt SAA . Uberti is making a reproduction that doesn't look too bad but i do not
have much knowledge on these.
Cheers and happy shooting

One problem I see these days is who to pass on your collection to? :What?:

In our family - and extended family - there are only two out of 18 that either hunt or shoot or know/care anything about guns. :hopelessness:

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
One problem I see these days is who to pass on your collection to? :What?:

In our family - and extended family - there are only two out of 18 that either hunt or shoot or know/care anything about guns. :hopelessness:

That is my predicament as well...Dad has already said he will leave me Great Grand dads gun collection (which reminds me I better get around to my RPAL one of these days) but he is worried where it will go after that....it is a family collection so none will be sold while I have it....I may have to promise to leave it to my nephew as my son has no interest in shooting or guns.....

My dad is only 18 years older than me so I may not even get to take possession of it unless I get it from him before he leaves this world...

reading stories about selling collections makes me think of BigBlkDog and how he is now selling many rifles he took his lifetime to collect and customize....

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
I was reading the the US Army in 1877 had purchased around 8000 of them [ after improvements ] calvary soldiers liked them for the ease of un loading and loading while on horseback but they were in tough competition with the Colt SAA . Uberti is making a reproduction that doesn't look too bad but i do not

I think I took a pic of one (schofield) but in a rifle from my dads collection.... View attachment 15815 schofield.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #14

Western Ghost

50 Gr. figure 2F? bet it BITS a little bit:Yee Ha: glenn
I have shot quite a few wheel fulls of Goexx @ 60 gr when I first got it 35 years ago,and squeezed the wedge a few times,and was able to get replacements easily for them,not now. They(ASM) have a slight gap between bore and cylinder,you will lose a lot powder between this area and get lots of flash between the wheel and the bore if you shoot full loads. I shot it a lot in the winter and you could see the wasted powder in the snow.
Accuracy is out the window with big loads,it’s just a smoke/ fire show. I use 45 gr of Pfff any more and I can get away with one hand,most days.
Loads of 50+ grns are better suited to 2 hand holding of this beast.

Thread starter #15

Western Ghost

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #16

Western Ghost

Sorry Walter,accidentally put my reply to your Schofield question under Wideopenthrottles reply.

gunseller

The US Army did purchase 45 Scofield revolvers and classed as substitute standard. The problem the Army ran I to was the Scofield would only use 45 S&W ammo but the Colt would shoot both. In a surprising move the Army decided to only manufacture and issue 45 S&W ammo. Ammo with this performance is still being issued. 230 grain bullet at around 830 fps, 45 ACP ammo. I owned a Scofield by Uberity for a while. Shot it and the S&W remake a lot. Did not like the S&W remake. Both were chambered for the 45 Colt if I remember correctly. I own three 1858 Remington copies and a Kenny Howell remake of the 1858 Carthage conversion. Also own an original Colt 1860 and an original Colt 1860 Richard's cartrage conversion. I shoot them all.
Steve

Top Bottom