Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

BAH HUMBUG!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
So spent the better part of the afternoon hanging off a ladder putting up NEW that's right boys and girls NEW GE Christmas lights. Not Dollar Store cheapies but "good" ones. The house looked great, We stopped at the end of the driveway to admire my handy work it was a virtual Christmas Wonderland. We went to pick up the new canopy for the Dodge 3500, stopped for a quick bit at the local watering hole and then returned home to find 3 sections of the new lights out, this is not the first time but we thought with the "upgrade" in quality, we would be good. Not so much. it would be different if it was a whole string but random sections in 3 different strings :Really Mad:. I'm done with it no more. Scrooge had it right all along.

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
thats me bah humbug. my wife had moving santas, trains ,villages i triped over chistmas junk for a month or more every year. once she was no longer able to decorate i gave them all away .

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
LOL!
Our Old School outside lights (from the 60's or 70's) are working perfectly well.
Sometimes the "Upgrade" ain't all it is made out to be Buddy!! small wink

Cheers,
Nog

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Haven't had "old school" inconstant lights for years. The upgrade was simply "better" LEDs . we were just saying wish we hd kept the old strings, change a bulb and poof you're good to go again. :Oh Yeah!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I have always put up quite a bit of lights. The old style light strings were a lot easier to fix
if a light burnt out but the colours faded fast and they took a lot of energy. I switched to
the modern lights several years ago, but in doing so I've also had to deal with poorly made
strings failing. Just this year I had a 33 ft string fail after only 3 nights. I stopped climbing
up high to place lights a few years ago because of my age and reduced balance. My setup
since then still looks pretty good and cheery. I don't put up any other Christmas or holiday
decorations though, that's always been my wife's thrill. She literally has at least a dozen big
tote bins stuffed full of all manner of decorations, including expensive crystal trinkets and
special ornaments she's gleaned from all over western North America. This year her daughter
decorated a tree for her and placed a few Christmas items about inside the house otherwise
there wouldn't be anything except those outside lights because I also am a 'Bah Humbug.'!

uncle nip

Reaction score
I did the ladder thing for the last time a few years ago after the same situation
Guaranteed 10 yr lights didn’t last a season
So I switched to blow ups and light projector all went well until last week , when some asshole swiped our 8’ snowman

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Neighbour usually has a yard full of those blow ups which is irritating to many of
the other dwellers within a block because of the constant loud noise from the pumps.
Recently he's had problems with punctures...I guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised
if it was found out to be from one or more of those dwellers. I'm not involved though
and I'm far enough away that the noise doesn't bother me.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
We put up a string of lights and a projector. The front of our house is big enough to give the projector a big enough surface to work well. The lights go up without a ladder. Nice display ironNoggin.
Steve

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I've been fighting with outside lights for a few years now.... seems every season we have to go buy at least a couple new strings of lights. :mad:

The ones that say they are guaranteed for life are not worth the time/effort to put them up - apparently the "life" expectancy is less than the first little storm that blows thru. :Really Mad:

This year I have made the decision to just have indoor decorations. Stuff hanging in the windows, lights around the windows, lights inside the storm doors so they are protected. No more outside lights at all. It only takes a little ole Nor'easter to wreak havoc among the land of Christmas.....:upset: wtfe :Black Eye:

fingershooter

Reaction score
Looks good Matt you just need the dead deer hanging from a tree set up :highly_amused:
Ha, ha. I got live deer in my front yard every night, with the snowman. They are coming for the mountain ash berries. I will try to get photos of them on their hind legs feeding.
Oh, I check my light strings before I put them up - no matter though as at least one or two fail after they are up!!! If you strip the insulation off of the wires you will find about 3 tiny strands of copper.

KH4

Reaction score
The first gen of the led strings were terrible, most had fused in bulbs, unreplaceable, I guess they thought they'd last forever. I threw many out already as I can't fixed them.

Second gen now have replaceable bulbs, but tend to shut off half the string if one bulb is bad. If you have two on the same or both halves, good luck!

Not sure why they just didn't come up with a retro fit kit of the old incandescent strings: replaceable LED bulbs with the proper transformer. I bet that set up would last decades, but the market is now lost as most have already converted, sigh, the 'eco' revolution....

When I redo the siding on my house, I'm going to put a small hinged panel or something like that on the bottom fascia board so I can leave the strings up forever, and flip them up out of the damaging UV light when spring comes.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
The problem with the new style systems is trying to find the one that’s a problem... and even then it’s a frustrating exercise getting those tiny wires to connect

Bow Walker

Reaction score
The problem with the new style systems is trying to find the one that’s a problem... and even then it’s a frustrating exercise getting those tiny wires to connect
I'm like an unemployed doctor when it comes to those new fangled strings of lights and trying to figure out which teenie, tiny little bulb is malfunctioning...... I have no patients at all. :Black Eye: :grumpy:

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
our lights back in the early 60s wouldn`t work if one bulb was burned out . i remmeber my sisters starting at one end with a good bulb and changing it tell they found the burned out one.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Well, the Hacienda is pretty well done for this year's Christmas.
Given there have been a few additions, I thought I'd run up another picture or three...

And A VERY Merry Christmas to All!! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog & Family

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Nicely set up Sir Nog. :Hi:

But, how did you get all that green in there? Must've cost a bunch for that outdoor carpet.......:Black Eye:

J/K... :ROFL:

This is our place - sans lights.

20181123_142108.jpg

I just came in from clearing the driveway.....
20181219_131244.jpg

This is from our side window, looking just about right up north.....
20181219_150020.jpg

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom