Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Banning? Oxymoron?

Thread starter #1

Browning

I was just going through the forum and hear this threat thrown out often, albeit sometimes a joke, but to be honest it’s an oxymoron to getting more people! I have seen many good people just leave this site or get banned in the last few months and it’s too bad, so I ask you have a contributing member to the site have an opinion and possibly have an off day and ban him forever? Does that make sense? Maybe at the moment, but long term? I’m not a mod but just saying from the outside looking in....
I do notice on sites that have shorter leashes so to say have far less membership, also just a personal view.. In conclusion I’m just seeing a lot of many posts members disappear in the last few months, obviously there is more underlying conditions here?
So my point and only mine, getting told you may get banned isn’t really a threat, so I post more on another site and obviously post no more here? Then here the banning person is trying to get more posts going?
So how do you attract membership? Word of mouth is the main so don’t get any negative reputation, open up the leash and let people talk and banter a bit and only step in if it’s personal or crude etc (don’t run as a dictatorship), and get over the “friendliest” thing, it’s sappy and being a forum it’s about being respectful first and foremost, the friendships will happen from there!
I hate to say but that’s why HBC is successful, but if you want to be really successful then figure out an easy way to post pics without resizing and post them directly from your phone!
Anyway just my point as a normal person.

I was just going through the forum and hear this threat thrown out often, albeit sometimes a joke, but to be honest it’s an oxymoron to getting more people! I have seen many good people just leave this site or get banned in the last few months and it’s too bad, so I ask you have a contributing member to the site have an opinion and possibly have an off day and ban him forever? Does that make sense? Maybe at the moment, but long term? I’m not a mod but just saying from the outside looking in....
I do notice on sites that have shorter leashes so to say have far less membership, also just a personal view.. In conclusion I’m just seeing a lot of many posts members disappear in the last few months, obviously there is more underlying conditions here?
So my point and only mine, getting told you may get banned isn’t really a threat, so I post more on another site and obviously post no more here? Then here the banning person is trying to get more posts going?
So how do you attract membership? Word of mouth is the main so don’t get any negative reputation, open up the leash and let people talk and banter a bit and only step in if it’s personal or crude etc (don’t run as a dictatorship), and get over the “friendliest” thing, it’s sappy and being a forum it’s about being respectful first and foremost, the friendships will happen from there!
I hate to say but that’s why HBC is successful, but if you want to be really successful then figure out an easy way to post pics without resizing and post them directly from your phone!
There have been one or two members banned from here who had large post counts. There are a few that have stepped away because they see the site changing and evolving. Perhaps they don't like the direction that the evolution seems to be headed?

Over the last several months there was trouble between several of the mods - basically disagreements on operational styles. This caused those mods to step down and become regular members. Two notable ex-mods could not let things go and just become regular members, while one (Dru) could.

One of the ex-mods left of his own accord. The other one stayed on and continued a campaign of sniping at the current mods, and posting in a disgruntled fashion that was very non-productive. It became so bad that it was a cancer to the site and had to be excised completely - at the expense of reputation and good will.

Moderating a site is a very, very hard thing to do. There is a thin line between over moderation and letting things go to possible get out of hand. Close moderation of a small site like this can be counter productive and cause members to get madder or to just leave. I think that a moderator's "huddle" is in order so that this can be discussed and adjusted. Of late - I have come to the belief that we (the mods) are edging over into the "over moderating" side of things. I thank you Browning, for bringing this into focus for me.

Now we have this contentious issue of a name change - an issue that has been handled badly by the site owner, and that is me. This has caused quite a polarization among members and that is not a good thing. In hind sight I should never have involved the membership in a proposed name change. But that is water under the bridge.

As to the "Friendliest Site" thing? Yes, it is sappy, I agree. Another sappy thing is the name of this place. Dropping the friendliest forum thingy is an easy fix - after all, it is the tone of the site and the members threads that tells a person or visitor whether or not this is a friendly place. The sappy name of Big Shots is quite another matter entirely.

I was once one of those members on HBC with a high post count - that dropped drastically when things got way too much over there. Verbal attacks, foul language, disrespect of newbies and their questions.... all these things (and much more) added up to my finally leaving.

HBC was the original hunting site in BC - and as such it was a natural that every hunter should want to join.... hence, their high membership number today.

We - on the other hand - have to carve out a niche for ourselves by being friendly, respectful, and helpful.... and sticking to that. It started out in 2012 with a handful of members - literally. Now we have well over 1000 members. The fact that only a very small percentage are "active" members is a real concern and there are things being done to try and rectify the situation. The name change being just one of those things.

Posting pics from your phone without them having to be resized is an easy fix - but it is a fix that has to be done by the photographer. Go in and change the size of the pictures that your phone takes....make the default size smaller on your phone. Then it should be just a matter of uploading to a post or reply.

I have to resize every one of my phone pics before I can post them here. I am one of those that has to go in and change my phone settings too. :Black Eye: I just haven't done it yet.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I find this annoying, as well, but from a computer, not a phone stand point. There's been a number of photos I've tried posting from my Iphoto library and was told they were too large, yet they post on every other site I've tried them on ,,,,,so in the end, they just don't get posted.

Brent - the max size allowed with this software is 2048 kb, and that is what it is set at....

Provide the maximum attachment file size in kilobytes (KB). Attachments over this size will be rejected. The configuration of this server limits this value to 2,048 KB.

Fella

Tall as a mountain thin as a pine
What sort of operational disagreement would cause 3 longtime mods to leave Dan? Just curious, and I’m sure other members are curious as well

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
'Friendly' and 'civil' are two unrelated words.
You can't mandate 'friendly' ..... it just doesn't work.
An example ....... small wink
Nog and I can have a 'civil' conversation as to why the Model 70/.300 Winchester is far superior to any Mark V/.300 Weatherby ....
Nog will no doubt argue the reverse but eventually he'll come to understand that I'm right and he's wrong. :Black Eye:
Thus we've had a civil conversation, and I'll sit down anytime with him and have a coffee ..... small wink

What sort of operational disagreement would cause 3 longtime mods to leave Dan? Just curious, and I’m sure other members are curious as well
It was all documented in another thread Joel - one that you participated in many times, along with almost all the active membets here.

No use or good wiil cone from ripping scabs off old wounds.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Nog and I can have a 'civil' conversation as to why the Model 70/.300 Winchester is far superior to any Mark V/.300 Weatherby ....
Nog will no doubt argue the reverse but eventually he'll come to understand that I'm right and he's wrong. :Black Eye:
Thus we've had a civil conversation, and I'll sit down anytime with him and have a coffee ..... small wink
:yeah, right: :applause: :ROFL:

Well... Sort of.
Only thing I'd differ on would be you finally coming to the realization that the 300 WeeBee RULES! small wink

Other than that, pretty much bang on! :Oh Yeah!:

Cheers,
Nog

Cedar Cowgirl

Cowgirl Pride.
It was all documented in another thread Joel - one that you participated in many times, along with almost all the active membets here.

No use or good wiil cone from ripping scabs off old wounds.

This is the reason in my opinion that there are rules for posting. After being given a "time out" on HBC for daring to repost(from FB) a collection of Trump quotes that very closely mirrored those of Hitler. Now I am very conscious of site rules and review them often. perhaps it would be a good habit for us all to get into, these 11 rules are some of the simplest of any site I have ever been a member of. Its not rocket science.

Basic Rules While Online Here At Big Shots BC.

1. There will be no discussion about, or pertaining to, Religion.

2. If you have concerns about any thread or a reply, use the “Report Post” button and the moderation team will deal with it.

3. There will be no bashing of other websites - at all.

4. If a particular hunting/fishing method or activity is legal then it is legal, end of story. Do not belittle anyone's choice of hunting or fishing method(s).

5. There will be NO discussion of illegal hunting or fishing methods on this website. We do not condone such activities.

6. Derogatory and/or demeaning comments or insults of any type, and/or racial slurs will not be tolerated. No Exceptions. That is the basis for our moderation here.

7. There is to be no Swearing, Foul language, or Crude posts, on this website. Keep this an enjoyable and respectful place for everyone as there are children who read and understand the posts.

8. Avatars and signatures are to be in good taste with the final say going to the Administrator/site owner.

9. There will be absolutely NO nudity, partial nudity or suggestive dialogue or photos of any kind allowed here on Big Shots. Either in posts, replies, links, or avatars.

10. When you post pictures of your kills/catches or trophies, please try to be respectful to the animals. Try not to show excessive blood or gore. Post a warning in the thread title, if the above is unavoidable.

11. There will be no rehashing of old disagreements, or feuds once they are concluded no matter how, they are over period and will not be revisited.

Any infractions will be dealt with swiftly. We will keep this a friendly and respectful site for all.

Towards being more visible and/or attractive to possible new members the site is now open for perusal by visitors.

This is just one of a few things that are in the works - along with a more laid-back style of moderating.

Cedar Cowgirl

Cowgirl Pride.
I asked myself how many of my posts would I feel the necessity to delete or change if the site had a different name? The answer was pretty simple. None! As long as this site never becomes a safe haven for Internet Bullies that are allowed to spew their hate and threats with impunity by the Mods or is Moderated by the Mods beliefs or opinions rather than site rules(like other sites) then I am good with almost any name at the top of the page

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Your FULL of SH*T Head Lice :stinky: The KING of 30 cal Mags is the 300 WEATHERBY ! My BUDDY Nog is right again ! :victorious:

Cheers RJ
Caught ya' RJ ....... small wink

Pssssssssst ......... don't tell anyone ok?
I have a Model 70 chambered in .300 Weatherby ..... have had it for 30yrs.
You and Matt . . . . Heckle & Jeckle ? :Black Eye::highly_amused:

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
Tapatalk is the answer for posting from your phone. It also gives u the choice of size for your picture. I don’t know why people fight using Tapatalk. It’s a lot easier to post pics from my phone, than it is from my computer. I very rarely visit sites now, that aren’t Tapatalk friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just when I thought all the B.S whinning had gone:Na-ahh:........we or the ones with an I.Q. above a GREEN MOUNTAIN MARMOT ...know that a .300 win mag.is king BUT it has to be in a SAVAGE 110 ACTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness:.....oh,i'm soooo stressed !!!
time to draw a name from the tuque to see WHOSE corn flakes gets the golden shower:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
All you guys do remember the many macho jocks in school strutting about....until shower time in the gym.
Quite often the little guy was packing and got a lot more action...just saying...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom