Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Bella Coola Bear Charge

Thread starter #1

KH4

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-239993-3-.htm

A couple notes from the peanut gallery (Me):

• This guy decides to go outside and engage in the bears on his property, looks to me they were investigating fruit trees, didn't look aggressive to me. Dog could have been called inside for safety
  • The second shot definitely duffed the top of it head, to say "wasn't injured" is BS, even if it was birdshot.
  • Holy Crap! The size of that thing lumbering towards him after the shot compared to the size of the guy, man, he would have been in a world of hurt!

Last edited:

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
My 2nd thought is "holy crap those Bella coola bears get big"

A couple of 325 WSM rounds would have fixed her up ! RJ
yeah if you can ever find anywhere to purchase them anymore.................the only place I know that carries them is Spaghetti Sports (Italian Sporting Goods).

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Now there is a POed wounded momma grizzly running around. Either do the job right and take slugs or a 30 cal+ rifle or stay the hell inside.
Foxton;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well in your world.

This one is making the rounds on a couple forums I'm on now and for the life of me I can't figure out why folks feel the need to post videos of what obviously isn't their personal best, you know?

We actually cover that in CORE class now - watch what you video and get a non-hunting friend to take a look at it before you post.....but I digress.

You said it all - in my opinion - "either do the job right...." Doesn't matter whatever it is really does it? Bring a ratchet and sockets - breaker bar too and torque wrench if that's what's called for.

For heaven's sake don't show up with a water pump pliers and then video the resulting rodeo with no pay window for the world to see.

All the best to you all this fall Foxton.

Dwayne

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Crewsafe was kind enough to load me up a couple of boxes so I'm good for a while. It is becoming a reloaders cartridge.

Foxton Gundogs

Yes Brad is here Nov, Him and Cindy are best friends with my Sister and Bro-in-Law. We talk every now and then.

As for the bear,ya the 2nd. round rolled it pretty good.......hate to be the ''next'' person who has the misfortune to come into contact with it.
DAMN FOOL, some people should not have firearms !!!!!

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
From details provides it seems he thought it was another routine "shoo bear shoo" otherwise no one is dumb enough to engage a bear with birdshot.
EXACTLY THIS!!!!!!! AFTER THE FIRST FEW SHOO BEAR SHOO'S DIDNT WORK THEY ARE NOW TOWN BEARS AND SHOULD BE KILLED.....BLEEDING HEARTS CAN GO BACK TO THEIR HOUSE IN THE CITY WHERE THEY ARE SAFE!!!!!!

Foxton Gundogs

Anyone who would shoo shoo a G-bear with bird shot as back up needs to go back to the city as well. Ridiculous.

Thread starter #23

KH4

“The biggest problem for these animals is our fear. I think people, for safety purposes, need to understand these animals. For the safety of not just them, but I’m saying for the safety of the bears.”

Lamb is among other experts in the region who say the real issue behind a spike in the bears’ daytime behaviour — and increasingly closer to residential areas in the lower Bella Coola Valley — is largely a human-caused one. An increasing number of attractants, like unpicked fruit trees, food sources, and a lack of electric fencing on some properties, is exacerbating the problem.

Lamb said a more comprehensive understanding of the animals is also needed by the very humans working to co-exist with the bears, in order to mitigate conflict.

“It’s really going to depend on two things: one of them is understanding bear behaviour. And that’s communication, body language — basically, what they’re saying. When they stand up, they’re not looking for a feast. They’re looking to pick up a scent. And the other is attractants. Attractants are a big deal. Zero food? Zero bears. Some food? Some bears. Lots of food? Lots of bears.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4643389/biologists-animal-experts-bella-coola-valley-grizzly-bears/

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Anyone who would shoo shoo a G-bear with bird shot as back up needs to go back to the city as well. Ridiculous.
Well there is the problem right there.....Do you treat them as dangerous animals and only "let them live" away from town or try to coexist in town .....it seems as this fellow was being complacent and "buying in" to the notion that Gbears can just hang around like skunks or coyotes as long as you are a bit cautious....let the good gbear mammas raise their cubs to be wild......

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
Habituated bears of any stripe are bad news . . . ultimately, it ends with the death of the bear(s).
To have a known 'bear bait' growing in your yard in downtown 'grizzly central' is not the smartest thing. Fruit is cheap - buy it.
As Foxton mentions above . . . bird shot is irresponsible and dangerous.
Use enough rifle or don't pick the fight.

The idea that "we" can coexist alongside wild bears within rural towns, villages and/or communities is ludicrous in the extreme. They are wild animals - omnivores/predators. How can people expect to "coexist" ?!? :hopelessness: :Na-ahh: Ain't never gonna happen.
I'm not diss-ing you Bill, just the idea that "city-minded" humans living in close proximity to carnivores and expecting nothing to happen is - well - it is ludicrous.

Foxton Gundogs

The idea that "we" can coexist alongside wild bears within rural towns, villages and/or communities is ludicrous in the extreme. They are wild animals - omnivores/predators. How can people expect to "coexist" ?!? :hopelessness: :Na-ahh: Ain't never gonna happen.
I'm not diss-ing you Bill, just the idea that "city-minded" humans living in close proximity to carnivores and expecting nothing to happen is - well - it is ludicrous.
Ask Timothy Treadwell about có existing with G Bears. Oh wait, you can't

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
yes i agree, but in this case we had the opposite...he was a super experienced bushman who got complacent and chit went sideways after that ....grizz are an awesome animal....seeing them in towns eating garbage is sad...i have chased many bbears away when our family used to spend all summer camping and if they came back they were shot....these grizz mommas are spitting out 3 cubs at a time.....what does that tell you about their reproductive capabilities..killing town bears is the best solution as trapping and relocating is not very cost effective nor does it have a high success rate IIRC...

olympia

Long-Time Member

The only people that believe we should co-exist with bears are the people that...well...don't have to co-exist bears themselves lol. It's always easier to tell someone else to do it. Kind of like not cleaning out the lint trap in a dryer, it's easier to tell someone else to do it

repeat=I LOVE YOU ,I LOVE YOU .I LOVE YOU !!!! and all will be fine........i know this as fact.....TIMMY TREADWELL aka GRIZZLY MAN movie...took 13 years but he DID get ate .
but ,then there is the ''25th'' bear theory''(Black bears) 24 bear encounters ,bear runs off.......its #25 thats the S.H.T.F bear........

TROUBLE WITH THAT IS, ... WHICH BEAR IS #25?????????? i've encountered ,some foolishly close hunting AND fishing well over 100 bears that were aware of my presence over a lot of years....then on Vancouver island,2 charges in 2 years......one a bluff that stopped ''beyond'' my safe zone....the last one which i posted about some time ago.....on an open logging road,bear was several hundred yards away with my scent blowing at him.....yelling, shooting warning shots,changed clips and when the 25 yard ''safe''zone ''was breeched..... bear down......healthy bear, some wear on teeth but no injuries..... still haunts me WHY HE ''ATTACKED''. what if it was a couple kids just hiking??? make no mistake,they ARE animals....don't give them human qualities.........

Top Bottom