Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Biltong - Anybody experienced in making it?

Good post Spy - nice to have photos to follow along with how you do things. Worth the wait.

An idea about the vinegar came to me while reading and looking at your post(s)..... How about having the vinegar in a spray bottle to that a nice even layer can be spritzed onto the meat? It just makes sense to me to have the vinegar applied evenly - what say you?

I buy this spice from a shop in Fernwood Victoria, it does 20Kgs and is way cheaper then buying all the spices individually... View attachment 16724

EXCELLENT!
I simply knew you would come through!! :applause:

Now Buddy, I may need you to collect a bag of that particular spice and send it my way, dependent upon the success rate with late season archery...
If so, I will indeed make it worth your while! small wink

Many THANKS for the walk-through! :Oh Yeah!:
I now intend to try this instead of the regular jerky this winter...
Appreciated!!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

Thread starter #61

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I buy this spice from a shop in Fernwood Victoria, it does 20Kgs and is way cheaper then buying all the spices individually... View attachment 16724
What shop in fernwood would that be? What would a pack of it go for?
I'm on the fence due to the sugar and MSG and gluten (would make it inedible for my hunting partner), but might give it a whirl instead of the traditional recipe.

Thread starter #64

stevo911

Long-Time Member
A pack which makes 20kgs of meat runs about $30 I can't remember the shops name but will post it up as soon as I go back..
That's not bad at all!
Was it Aubergine Specialty Foods by any chance? Totally forgot about that place, but a friend from Capetown gets marmite or something from there, it's in the right neighbourhood...

Thread starter #69

stevo911

Long-Time Member
Well it's hanging and curing. The power supply I wired up to the fans turned out to be toast (guess I should have tested it first), so I left the sides of my box open and am using a house fan sucking air away from it (blowing towards you get a high velocity jet of air, whereas the sucking side is more dispersed air flow)

here are some pics:
Biltong

Top Bottom