Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

boat trailers, tire blow outs.

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
so do you run with ''P'' radials or use ''ST'' trailer tires for 18.5 ft. and under boats/ 3000lbs. boat,motor,trailer total weight.
blowouts seem to be a big concern, heat not actual tire wear, under weight rated tires.........I travel to BRANNEN Lake, 2 kms.away or launch at BRECKIN Boat launch off Zorkin to the ocean...about 8-9 kms ( 5 miles). my tires are about maxed out with my rigs weight....

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
My 20.5 ft rv trailer had light duty trailer tires when I decided to get new ones.
I had no idea about what was recommended so asked the dealer I've enjoyed
excellent business relations with for many years. I thought just buying good "P"
radials would suffice. Not only did he say that's a bad idea, but he said I should
put on better trailer tires then what was on it already. He said he deals with many
trailer tire problems due to being under tired. Of course I told him I would be towing
many miles and long distances on graveled forestry roads.

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Good Morning DAVE and TUK,
Thank you Sir, yes ,that's what I have come to believe as well.....especially on gravel back roads.....P-metric ,except for GOODYEAR who are the only trailer tire maker in North America who DO make a trailer special radial with ''beefed up side walls for the best of ST and P trailer tire traits........overwhelming reports call the ST tires ,sold in most places like Canadian tire,Chinese bombs...
I HAVE seen lots of people pass me while driving up to C.R./Quadra, pulling runabouts with those little boat trailers with 12'' tires.......now THAT is an obvious no-no !!!!!

Trinity

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.........3 years ago now, l bought a boat and trailer set up that still hasn't seen water. (not because it doesn't work....its what happens when you sell your soul for the almighty dollar) Any way, back when l first bought it, a mechanic buddy looked the trailer over and suggested l keep my eyes open for new rubber. Looking at them, they look fine to me, but obviously from his suggestion and what has been posted here, not all trailer tires are created equal, thanks for heads up. I am a prime candidate for that principle "if it can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible time"!!

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Hey TRINITY,
if your boat is ''outboard'' powered and has sat for several years, you might want to examine the water pump's ''impellar''.made of a rubber compound,it could have gone ''brittle'' and is in need of change.......another thing is your carb/s. my boat was only used x2 last year.....had to rebuild the cards this week.....jets corroded,.now runs great.
cheers glenn

Heyblast

Reaction score
Hey TRINITY,
if your boat is ''outboard'' powered and has sat for several years, you might want to examine the water pump's ''impellar''.made of a rubber compound,it could have gone ''brittle'' and is in need of change.......another thing is your carb/s. my boat was only used x2 last year.....had to rebuild the cards this week.....jets corroded,.now runs great.
cheers glenn
Are you using gas with ethanol, it’s terrible for outboards. Cost me dearly last year had no idea how bad that s—t is on outboards or any small motor for that matter.

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
so do you run with ''P'' radials or use ''ST'' trailer tires for 18.5 ft. and under boats/ 3000lbs. boat,motor,trailer total weight.
blowouts seem to be a big concern, heat not actual tire wear, under weight rated tires.........I travel to BRANNEN Lake, 2 kms.away or launch at BRECKIN Boat launch off Zorkin to the ocean...about 8-9 kms ( 5 miles). my tires are about maxed out with my rigs weight....
NAHMINT II;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the day has broken as bright and clear for you folks as it has here this morning.

As a side note, I was awakened this morning by a fawn in distress and spent a bit of time locating it and then watching as mom/doe found her way over to it. I slid out of the situation when mom was more concerned with me than the fawn - so I trust all is well now because it's quiet down in the gully.

Anyway sir, although I'm not in the tire business, I did manage maintenance on a fleet of vehicles and equipment - including trailers - for a medium sized construction company in a previous job. Also I managed a storage facility where I dealt with between 100 and 150 boat/trailer combinations and RV's at any given time too.

Actually I'm now working for a local auto dealer where we work with tires too - but again I'm not specifically in the "tire business".

Especially in the Okanagan sun, the biggest enemy to tires is UV rays I'd say - not use usually. We'll have many instances where the tread is fine as far as depth left is concerned, but the tire itself is separating either radially in the grooves of the tread or on the sidewalls.

Depending upon where/how the trailer is stored and of course the quality of the tire, this can take place in as little as 3-5 years.

Also, many tires can be killed quite easily within a relatively short distance if they're run over loaded and under pressure. We had that happen on construction trailer tires quite often unfortunately. Run over a screw or nail on the job site, get a slow leak, load up the trailer so the boss is happy with the load and voila - dead tire!

Without question and with no apologies then sir, I'm more than a bit of a zealot when it comes to putting good/correct for the application tires on everything you intend to take onto a public road. Actually putting the very best tires one can afford is about the cheapest way to ensure the rig in the long run..... and as they say, the life you save might be your own...

All the best to you folks as we head into the fall, whichever brand or type of tires you choose to run.

Dwayne

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
A very good day to you and yours as well Sir,.
I always enjoy your ''saluations'' on every post/comment you make....it IS refreshing:Oh Yeah!:
I would,with your past and present experience, say that you certainly qualify for offering up advice that ''hits the nail on the head''.!!! thank you.
with that,i will enjoy a second cup of coffee and enjoy this perfect day on the island.
best regards
glenn

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
A very good day to you and yours as well Sir,.
I always enjoy your ''saluations'' on every post/comment you make....it IS refreshing:Oh Yeah!:
I would,with your past and present experience, say that you certainly qualify for offering up advice that ''hits the nail on the head''.!!! thank you.
with that,i will enjoy a second cup of coffee and enjoy this perfect day on the island.
best regards
glenn
NAHMINT II;
Thanks for the reply and the kind words contained therein.

Upon re-reading my post, I see that I should have been more specific in stating I was referring to trailer tires.

That said, RV tires die in the Okanagan sun as well - again many times before their tread would indicate they are finished.

It never ceased to amaze me that folks would have a nice $30,000 plus fishing boat on a single axle trailer, running the most awful looking, soon to depart at any given moment tires???

As the old rock song said, "People are strange", you know?

Anyway I already admitted to being a bit of a zealot on this subject and won't belabor the dead equine with a blunt instrument any further.

All the best to you Island folks this August long weekend.

Dwayne

Top Bottom