Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Brining

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:18)

PortSide

Reaction score
BT backstraps last night done k-bab style with marinade. (no leftovers).... I did recently watch a YT vid about brining venison claiming imparts flavour and tenderness to the meat. Anyone actually tried this? Thanks

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I can see brining for flavour, but doing it for tenderness on venison seems like a waste of time. Venison is already very tender.....

PortSide

Reaction score
The smoked ribs above link, must have been a whitetail. BT ribs quite thin. I am wondering about all that bacon grease remembering a moose recipe I tried a few years ago calling for bacon strips...it was overwhelmed by the bacon flavour... I have found slicing off steak "medallions" from BT roasts and then a quick (medium/medium rare) cooking in an iron fry pan (is there any other type?) ... both tender and delicious .... (adding a bit of sauce by a squirt of red wine and scrape in the pan ... .. starting to drool.)

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
When you use bacon on wild game be sure to keep it at a med. rare then the bacon adds flavor or not takes it over. Jmo

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I've done Island ribs over a campfire a few times... just have to watch them carefully as they will become overcooked pretty fast because they are thin...

But if done right, they are delicious and make an excellent appetizer - with the appropriate bevvie, of course. :Hungry:

Top Bottom