Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Broadhead sharpening

Thread starter #1

olympia

Long-Time Member
So what do the experienced guys here do for Broadhead sharpening? I been using a stone but it doesn't seem to give me that edge I want, I wanna be able to shave hairs off my arm with it. Should I cave and go grab a Broadhead sharpener? Any particular kind I should be looking for?

For my replaceable blade broadheads I use a basic oil stone and then a diamond impregnated ceramic hone, and finally a strop (although this step is not really necessary).

The whole trick/key is to keep the same angle on the blades through all the steps that you do. At the end, when you are doing your final sharpening, you want to use only light strokes - and do the same number of strokes on each side of the blade, finishing up with one feather-light final stroke on each side.

For fixed blade heads (like Montec) I use a small, very fine file, It takes a bit of practice to get the angle right and to be able to lighten the strokes towards the end, but it is very doable. Some of the fish hook sharpeners have a flat edge on one side. These work really well.

Again - the key is to do the same number of strokes per side and to lighten those strokes towards the end of the sharpening. Very important.

Diamond_sharpener_pen_style_Diamond_fishing_hook.jpg

Professional-Sharpener-Portable-Pen-Shape-Diamond-Knife-Sharpener-Multi-Purpose-Fishhook-Sharpen.jpg

I stay far away from any sharpeners that are of this style....

img.jpg

Last edited:

Riverbc

Long-Time Member
I use a Lansky style sharpener. I shoot Slick Tricks and the blades come off and fit into the sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom