Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Canine heart disease

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:21)

Tuchodi

Reaction score
How many of you are feeding the dry dog foods that were listed as suspicious from the FDA just now in July as connected to heart problems in dogs. Most of them seam to be Grain Free recipes. I have been feeding my dogs the Acana and Blue Buffalo and they are both on the list. Now I am searching for a new brand. What dry dog food are you using?

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Hoping Lab Guy will post up that list here. We don't feed anything on the list, interesting study. For us it's Canadian Natural, Now and some special low fat stuff for our one gal.

Tuchodi

Reaction score
Here's the list of dog foods identified most frequently in the reports that the FDA is studying.
  • Acana
  • Zignature
  • Taste of the Wild
  • 4Health
  • Earthborn Holistic
  • Blue Buffalo
  • Nature's Domain
  • Fromm
  • Merrick
  • California Natural
  • Natural Balance
  • Orijen
  • Nature's Variety
  • NutriSource
  • Nutro
  • Rachael Ray Nutrish

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Just to be sure I'm going to get a list of ingredients from California Natural and compare it to Canadian Natural. Thanks for posting.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I buy the Costco lamb mix dry food which made the list of 'better than average' and also
one of the better bangs for your buck. I can't feed him very much chicken or he breaks out
in hot spot rashes which is a problem because most food mixes contain chicken.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
When I had dogs I fed as little dry dog food as possible, I would feed plain boiled pasta or rice with a topping of a protein source whether it was leftovers or eggs if no leftovers. I also used to go to this butcher who sold me cubes of 1lb meat compressed into 1lb blocks. I'd give them a block a day when i had those. The cheapest crappiest human food is probably better than the highest price dog food

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
All our dogs over the years enjoy beef liver /steak......go figure........dry food at present is NUTRO..
The dogs make the choice.......if THEY don't like it,they don't eat it.
remember some ''people'' studys of the last few years. BACON is good for you,.so is coffee......ENERGY DRINKS''must be safe'' or it would not be sold........ back in the day,our old mutts ate whatever was left from our meals. they ALL passrd on of old age.

:Oh Yeah!:

Last edited:

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Phewf!!

We have fed them Hill's Science Diet since they were pups. They're doing just fine, too.

Our oldest one was getting a bit lethargic and was obviously in pain. We thought it was arthritis rearing its ugly head. I switched the food to what Hill's labels as Mobility Diet..... Two weeks later she is bouncing around like she was 10 years younger. Amazing turn-around.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I buy the Costco lamb mix dry food which made the list of 'better than average' and also
one of the better bangs for your buck. I can't feed him very much chicken or he breaks out
in hot spot rashes which is a problem because most food mixes contain chicken.
My last Lab could not eat "red" dog food or he would get hot spots as well.

Labguy

Reaction score
Regardless of the uneducated and uninformed back woods opinions of some of the members here, this deserves another look.

Please, if you have some valid ( the operative word here is VALID ) accurate, scientific based knowlege or information to contradict this then post it up. If it's not valid and merely opinion based on subjective experience then please save it for the morning "old farts" coffee shop get together.

My ONLY concern here is for the dogs. Please....don't muddy this information up with useless personal anecdotes that have zero validity. Some people and their dogs may actually benefit from this.

Photo: Unsplash/Matt Nelson
Sixteen dog food brands are being linked to an investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that suggests they're associated with a potentially fatal canine heart condition.

Canine dilated cardiomyopathy results in an enlarged heart. When the heart and its chambers become dilated, it becomes harder for the heart to pump. It could lead to valves leaking and a buildup of fluids.

The FDA received reports of dogs with DCM between Jan. 1, 2014, and April 30, 2018. An investigation was officially launched in July of 2018.

More than 500 cases were reported, including 560 individual dogs that were diagnosed with the condition; 119 of those dogs died. There were also 14 individual cases involving cats, five of which died.

The food is labelled as "grain-free," with the main ingredients containing a high proportion of peas, lentils, other legume seeds, and/or potatoes in many forms (whole, flour, protein). They would be listed as main ingredients.

More than 90 per cent of the products in cases reported were "grain-free" while 93 per cent of the reported products contained peas and/or lentils.

The following brands have been listed by the FDA:

Acana
Zignature
Taste of the Wild
4Health
Earthborn Holistic
Blue Buffalo
Nature's Domain
Fromm
Merrick
California Natural
Natural Balance
Orijen
Nature's Variety
NutriSource
Nutro
Rachel Ray Nutrish
"We understand the concern that pet owners have about these reports: the illnesses can be severe, even fatal, and many cases report eating 'grain-free'-labelled pet food," the agency says on its website. "The FDA is using a range of science-based investigative tools as it strives to learn more about this emergence of DCM and its potential link to certain diets or ingredients."

Trinity

Reaction score
Don't know how valid it is, certainly not accurate and definitely not scientific, but one of my girls is awaiting a verdict on this very issue. Three generations of that particular breeding line and we never had an issue with hearts until now and we have had our gang on grain free for years. Took our young girl in for hips/elbows and our vet told us our girl had an enlarged heart to the extent he was very concerned about sedation. Instead we had and echo cardiogram done and her heart is definitely enlarged. My wife started researching the topic and it wasn't long before the "grain free" concerns showed up. Another chat with our vet and he suggested we wait until next month (Aug) and have another echo cardiogram done, his thoughts being if my girls heart is the same size or shrunk a bit, in his opinion its a good indication it may have had something to do with their dog food and not genetic. Since the first visit a couple of months ago, we have switched over their grub and are waiting to see what the new tests show, if anything. As far as her physical well being, she demonstrates absolutely no short comings, so really hoping next month is positive and she can be used for breeding in the future.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Just remember we can not see what's going on inside our 4 legged partners even the healthiest looking of them may be a ticking time bomb. Heart, Liver/Kidney, and Cancer to name a few are usually not noticed till it's to late. a vet can SOMETIME detect these life threatening issues early enough to save your dogs life, A complete check up is well worth the money.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Tuchodi - have a look at post #8

I mentioned Hill's Science Diet food. We've used it for both our dogs and have been using it for over 12 years.........

For our older Lab/Roti cross.

Labguy

Reaction score
Just remember we can not see what's going on inside our 4 legged partners even the healthiest looking of them may be a ticking time bomb. Heart, Liver/Kidney, and Cancer to name a few are usually not noticed till it's to late. a vet can SOMETIME detect these life threatening issues early enough to save your dogs life, A complete check up is well worth the money.
Your absolutely right Jim. We can't see what's going on inside the dog. Just because a dog appears OK does not mean his heart wall isnt getting thinner or enlarged or being otherwise compromised and on the verge of failure.

So just what does "doing just fine" really mean? Simply beacause there are no outward signs of trouble mean absolutely nothing as Trinity pointed out in post #12. (Hope your girl gets through this unscathed David.)

To simply poo poo and poke fun at a report like this as some have done, with no valid basis for rebuttal, makes me shake my head and elevates my blood pressure.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Responsible pet owners will pay attention to their charges. Observation and close scrutiny will very often alert you to the fact that "something is not right" and that a trip to the vet is in order.

A trip to the vet NOW - not when you get around to it.

If you notice something is not right chances are that it has not been right for quite some time and when you finally clue in to that fact you need to get to the vet a.s.a.p.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Unfortunately people Poo-Poo things they do not understand or have taken some "current trend" stand on. I belong to an ESS site. A member asked how to stop her pup from jumping up and nipping hands. My response was to take it by the scruff and lay it on its back and growl bad dog at it hold it there until it quits struggling and looks you in the eye submissively. From the responses I am an animal abuser and am currently waiting for the SPCA and SWAT to arrive at my door to arrest me and confiscate all my animals(Good luck with the barn cat lol)

Bow Walker

Reaction score
People continually amaze me with their lack of understanding and supposed intelligence. :hopelessness:

Young pups (human or animal) have to be taught boundaries and acceptable behaviour. How else to impress these things into their memories?

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't a good trainer with my first few dogs because of lack of knowledge and poor, very poor
information from a specific breeder-trainer during the middle 60's. I did get an excellent trials and hunting
retriever out of it all but only because of the dog's intense drive to retrieve. Since then I've received much
better guidance and information which not only gleaned great results, but was more humane and far less
stressful on my dogs and me. Teaching a dog boundaries and who's the boss is one of the most important
things and I learned that it can be done without any physical abuse at all simply by doing what 'Foxton Gundogs'
said, grabbing them by the scruff of their neck and holding them down until they show proper submission.
I have several friends that train dogs, mostly Border Collies, for agility competition and they all do this with excellent
results which is very notable considering Border Collies are a very sensitive breed. I've only had to do this twice to my
current 7 1/2 year old lab that was a totally untrained and undisciplined year old when I got him.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Friends in Kelowna just told me yesterday that their neighbour's 4 year old Chocolate Lab suddenly dropped dead
as it was walking with it's owner across a paddock. First thought was that it had eaten something like poisonous
mushrooms, but it was a heart attack. Apparently the breeder acknowledged that several of his puppies from the
same bloodline have died early from heart problems as well. The owner has asked for a complete autopsy to see
if there were any other problems that attributed to it such as type of food. I hope to learn of the results.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Hope he had a written health guarantee. It won't replace his buddy but the breeder should have given that info out and had his stud and bitch tested. This crap makes me livid.
:mad:

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Been feeding our Wolf Hybrids with house brand Share Kare for mature dogs.
Main ingredient is lamb, but it has rice, oatmeal and a pile of other good things in it.
They love the stuff.
And of course, every meal I make is made for four, they get their share of venison and squish on a regular basis.

... Teaching a dog boundaries and who's the boss is one of the most important things...
Yep. Having lived with and loved 50% (and more) Wolf Hybrids for well over 30 years I strongly agree.
140 pound plus critters with canines ain't anything to be fooling with.
Fortunately My Lady seems to have developed the same "dog whisperer" natural abilities I apparently came with.
No incidences over 3 decades, and all of our Fur Kids love us.
Strangers though are at times a different story...

Cheers,
Nog

Top Bottom