Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Chainsaw Info

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Anyone out there running a Stihl MS 261-CM Saw ?
Just looking for a honest report -info .
Thanks

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
My stihl is only 22 years old. Can not help you on the newer stuff. Only once has it failed to start. New spark plug fixed it.
Steve

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Update on my new chainsaw .
Ended up buying a Stihl MS261 last year production of the non electric - computer carburetor type . So far been a wonderful chainsaw . Running a 20" bar .325 pitch chain , great power to weight ratio. Just getting broken it have run approx. 15 liters of premixed Aspen fuel through it with no issues . Been a nice addition to my other 2 saws , 266SE Husqvarna + 272XP Husqvarna . Let the wood chips fly !!!!

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
''WILDTHING'' From Canadian tire.(homlite??) 18'' bar....about 20 years old....don't know how many chains its been thru.... files too !!
Never fails to start and run......bought it to cut down and buck up a tree 'Cause it was way cheaper than the ''tree guys''. figure it was use and sell or discard........but it just keeps running !!!!!!!

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
started out running a homlite...called it a( home at night) cause you had to bring it home every night to fix it . but i am a stihl kinda of guy . i use a 261 for bucking . good saw but hate the half rap handle bars and the little tiny dogs its to small for fire wood .

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I've run several brands over the years, Loved my Pioneer but it was big and heavy. It had lots of power
and never gave me trouble. I gave it to a brother when I down sized to a smaller and lighter Stihl.
The only saw that disappointed me was an Echo. It worked fine up until the clutch started slipping.
It seemed too light duty and a bit underpowered for the big stuff. It was my fault for cheaping out and thinking
I would only need a saw for camp. I notice there are a lot of electric battery offerings lately but I will not
go that direction after getting stung by "Yardworks" with one of their 20 volt weedeaters. I was reassured that
when the time came I could get new replacement batteries, but when I tried just now I was told the batteries
were discontinued but I could buy a brand new complete 20 volt unit. Those conniving scoundrels changed the
battery connecting design so that the new model's 20 volt battery didn't fit their old model. They've lost a customer
for life!

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there running a Stihl MS 261-CM Saw ?
Just looking for a honest report -info .
Thanks
I have a 3 year old MS311 with a 20" bar that I bought brand new. I really like it. Lots of power, reliable starts, good performance and easy to maintain. I still have my Echo 550 EVL that I bought brand new 31 years ago, and it still runs pretty damn good for the years of use and abuse I have subjected it to. As a comparison, if my Stihl serves me for another 28 years like the Echo has I will quite satisfied (mostly because I made it to 85!)

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Figure just about everything I have is mine.....if someone really wanted/needed it,i'd probably give it to them or at least lend it ...
but don't try to steal it.....I'm not totally Canadian and I don't call 911 ( AND WAIT !!)and wait and wait !!!!!!!!!!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Not actually a chainsaw, but in the same category....
Has anyone any long lasting experience with gas powered weedeaters?
Stihl has one with a curved pole on sale right now for $160

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Hell DAVE, anyone still living that had experience with a ''push'' lawn mower ??????????????????
I've used one as a youth, and during the first few years married.
My father cut the top half of his middle finger off while playing a "cowboy" and riding one
like most kids rode their "stick ponies".
One of my older nieces just bought a new and modern version of one in order to be environmentally
responsible and to get exercise at the same time. Looks no where near the same as the old ones except
for the actual cutting blades.

Bow Walker

SGT MAJOR IN DUMBELDORE'S ARMY.
Reaction score
Not actually a chainsaw, but in the same category....
Has anyone any long lasting experience with gas powered weedeaters?
Stihl has one with a curved pole on sale right now for $160
Like Jim, I have an Echo with the straight shaft. I chose the straight shaft over the curved on because we don't have to reach in and under a lot of stuff to get at the weeds and things.

Love that Echo - works like a charm.

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Like Jim, I have an Echo with the straight shaft. I chose the straight shaft over the curved on because we don't have to reach in and under a lot of stuff to get at the weeds and things.

Love that Echo - works like a charm.

View attachment 18249
I didn't have any problems with the actual battery operated unit itself. I used it a lot for many years.
I had 2 batteries which I rotated. My yard trimming sometimes took more than one battery's charge.
As I mentioned, the problem was in getting replacement batteries. I went to Lowe's today and even
their head manager couldn't guarentee that regardless as to what brand I bought that the same scenario
wouldn't happen to me again. Consequently I looked at both the gasoline and corded units. The gas
units that were what I considered reasonably prices were all 2 cycle motors which needed mixed fuel
and were not environmentally friendly to say the least. The 4 cycle motors were at least twice the price.
I opted to purchase a corded unit with more than ample power and a 14" cut. This unit with $26 of extra
line cost me $60 less than the cheapest 2 cycle unit.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I have a gas weed eater. Have had several brands and all worked. I need gas powdered because I have been known to use it several miles from a plug in. Use it to make trails to encourage animals to walk where I want them to walk. Also trim around to house.
Steve

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I have a gas weed eater. Have had several brands and all worked. I need gas powdered because I have been known to use it several miles from a plug in. Use it to make trails to encourage animals to walk where I want them to walk. Also trim around to house.
Steve
I have enough extension cords to reach my neighbour 3 houses away, but what I string out I have to pick up again.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Yep very handy feature. My Echo does as wee and has plenty of power for brush cuttting

Top Bottom