Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

CHECK YOUR SPARE TIRE ,ESPECIALLY IF MOUNTED UNDER BOX.

Thread starter #1
So I had to drive up island this week,checked my trucks tire pressure and pumped it up to 42 p.s.i.
then I thought,geez,its been at least a year since I checked the spare........its mounted under the rear of box ..F 15O... so I dropped it down ,cleaned it off....checked pressure.....still at 38 p.s.i.:Oh Yeah!: last thing ya need is NO SPARE up in no where.....AND I put the spare with the valve facing up back in place........when I first acquired this truck,i backed up over a stump which tore the valve stem off... :OH-OH: valve stem facing down.... just another one of lifes lessons..

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Yup, I periodically check my truck spare (with the valve facing up and capped) as well
as the spare on my RV. More than a few times I've run across someone with a spare
flat. I've also run across a couple of fellows that thought their half inflated spare would
get them out of their predicament only to have the tubeless tire separate from the rim,
and before they realized there was a problem, the rim had cooked the tire seal.

Thread starter #3
the old days when that old tube had enough air to just keep you going.......the $1.50 patch kit my father kept in the jockey box.....the 2 big steel tire irons in the trunk.........HELL, today the cops would arrest you for carrying dangerous weapons if they found those chrome steel irons :No need to say more

stevo911

Long-Time Member
I was just thinking I need to do this and lube up the mechanisms. When I was out in the bush with my buddy and we got a flat in his truck we found that the tire lowering mechanism was rusted solid so it took about 2 hours longer than it should have to change the tire. :Doh!:

Heyblast

I was just thinking I need to do this and lube up the mechanisms. When I was out in the bush with my buddy and we got a flat in his truck we found that the tire lowering mechanism was rusted solid so it took about 2 hours longer than it should have to change the tire. :Doh!:
Had the same thing happen except the cable came down about six inches which let us cut it with a hacksaw. Just finished putting spare on and logging truck showed up. I make a habit to check my truck spare regularly and our truck mechanics at work check when trucks are in for oil changes. They also check the torque on the wheel nuts as that has been another issue that's happened in the past.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I made a pair of tire irons as a class project while in industrial Arts in high school.
Still have them today...and what's even more important, still use them.

Sounds like a Mr Megget project to me Dave lol. I always carry a plug kit and also one of those tire repair and inflators in the can. I have never had a flat spare BUT I lost a spare in the road to Merritt one trip if anyone has the tire hanger like the dodges I take and cut the cross bar off then link the bar and cable with a short piece of chain so it will not rub through.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I carry a patching kit with boots and vulcanizing glue as well as a spare tube.
I also carry the necessary tire irons, heavy hammer, and air pump. Haven't
had to use any of it for many years ever since I switched to heavy duty truck
tires, but I have used my stuff to help others on a couple of occasions. Even
had to use my small come-a-long to fatten the repaired tire enough for it to
seal when trying to re-inflate it.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
I have to put my spare with stem up as the mag rims/recessed lugnut holes don't match up with the bracket to hold the tire up....for my truck though, there is a sensor on the spare to let you know if it goes flat.....always a good idea to pull the tires off to check the brakes once a year as the aluminum rims will seize on over time......I always put a layer of neverseize on and coat the lugs as well to make roadside repairs as easy as possible...

gunseller

I carry a 5 pound hammer to help remove the rim. I also remove the spare from under the box and put in the box or on the grill guard. Have seen the truck down low enough so as to not be able to get the spare out when under the box. Usually have a can of fix a flat in every thing we drive. Son had a flat the other day. I had not checked his car. He had no jack, lug wrench or spare. After 3 trips back and forth, 5 miles one way, we got a donut from an other car kind of on and home. Now have a jack wrench and am working on a rim to put o e of his old tires on. Check when you can it beats finding out in the middle of no where you have a problem.
Steve

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Only problem with a grill guard mount is it can restrict your rad air flow and if working hard your truck will over heat.

Heyblast

Make sure you got your magic socket [ anti theft ] if your truck came with one. It should be in console , glove box or whatever
but sometimes after changing a flat they disappear in a parka or in the snow........not good.
Thanks for that reminder. Bought a three year old car a month ago and meant to check for that socket. Going make sure now.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
After watching a tire shop fellow take one of those keyed nuts off with a cold chisel and a big
hammer in a matter of seconds I also switched to regular nuts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:2)

Top Bottom