Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Chinook Feedback Summary March 2019

Thread starter #1

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Summary of Feedback Received by DFO in consideration for the 2019/2020 Chinook Management Approach March 2019

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:1e61f87a-2842-46bd-993c-b72dfbb1bb44

Have a look at the numbers here folks. The NGO's are ruling the day, with a full 74 % of the input to date.

Then take a look at the various key issues identified by each group.

By any stretch, the recreational fishing sector is floundering.

Get your letters in ASAP if you want to be fishing at all down the not-too-distant road...

Minister Wilkinson: min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

There are some good suggestions what to include in your letter here: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-chinook-information-feedback-required.73642/

Nog

Things keep going the way they are and we will be paying a ''licence fee'' just to use our boats in salt water.....
don't laugh folks......it could happen.

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Thanks Matt,
Reply to the big 3 just sent. FWIW, I don't think they give a rats ass what we write. I been writing letters to DFO for decades on Thompson river steelhead. At best I get form letters in return stating that they are very concerned and all the wonderful things they are doing. Didn't seem to get them a lot of success with that race of steelhead. I doubt they are going to accomplish much by killing our fishing. Not unless all other sectors are also curtailed.

Here is my letter. This one is the most terse I have ever written. I am completely fed up with trying to be Mr. Niceguy to the asshats.

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you today to express my continued disappointment with the manner in which the Department of Fisheries and Oceans attempts Chinook salmon management and "knee-jerk" proposal for SRKW management in the Strait of Georgia and points elsewhere within its jurisdiction. Once again you have targeted the Sports angler directly as the sacrificial lamb to rectify all problems for the SRKW while you vacillate over studies of other direct effects that are also contributing as much or more to the issue. The decimation of Chinook stocks in the Strait of Georgia comes as no surprise to those of us who live and breathe these fisheries, this coast and this lifestyle. Decades of mismanagement of habitat and water rights protection, hatchery enhancement, illegal netting in the Fraser, over harvest by all sectors, continued commercial over-harvest of the prey species, neglect of management of predator species (i.e. Pinnipeds) and rampant lack of enforcement has led to this situation. A situation that recreational anglers and your own people have been warning senior officials for decades.

Your proposal to dump all this neglect onto the recreational anglers of the Strait of Georgia is akin to killing the goose that lays the Golden eggs. In addition the countless hours of volunteer stream and hatchery enhancement that we donate, our contribution to the Gross Domestic Product on a per piece basis far exceeds that of all other user groups combined. The maximum value you can get for any salmon is through its availability to recreational anglers.

As a recreational angler who fishes the ECVI and WCVI all season long from March to October, I know that my dollars spent on Vancouver Island have a very significant impact on local economies from Chemainus to Winter Harbour, but in particular from Ladysmith to Parksville on the East coast and Ucluelet and Tofino on the West coast. For inside waters, my average annual rod days is well over 100 days and on the Ucluelet and Tofino is over 80. My average annual investment is boats licensing, insurance, fuel, accommodations and local spending is well over $10,000 annually. These will all be tourist dollars that will no longer be distributed in the small sports fishing towns that rely on them to maintain their economies.

I trust that you will be able to confidently look those people in the eye who you will have relegated to the unemployed and tell them that their sacrifice is worth it for the SRKW.

Your in disappointment,

Stephen Cooper
Ladysmith B.C.

Thread starter #5
This matter is going to directly effect every single person who wants to catch a spring salmon ever again.

The ENGO's are focused and organized.

The FN's are even more so.

If you fish for salmon at all, you have more than ample reason to be nervous.

VERY
Nervous that is:

LFFA: Lower Fraser Fishery Alliance

Their letters all focus on UNDRIP and Reconciliation, as well as their court / constitutionally defined rights.

They want it all, and screw everyone else. Period.

Best be getting every single one you know to write in repeatedly!!

Worried!
Nog

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
So much for creative thinking............Another Liberal Fisheries minister with no ability to think outside of the tiny little eastern box......How about controlling these?
Whale watching boats
Freighter traffic speed
Raw sewage
Pinnipeds
Herring harvest
Overharvest from river nets
Poaching
Fresh Water theft (interior urban development, ranchers and agriculture)
Habitat Management
Hatchery Enhancement

Nope, the only thing we can control is public fishery harvest...... So much bullsh*t, so little time

Last edited:
Top Bottom