Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Climbing long ladders...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
A bit late, but how many use extension ladders for putting up and taking down their Christmas lights? Do you use the ladder by itself, or do you tie it in place so that it can’t slip sideways or go over backwards. Do you make sure it’s ‘feet’ are level and can’t slip? When I was young, like others my age, I didn’t and I even would ‘hop’ the top of the ladder sideways in order to reach further. Then I had a couple of wake up calls. A brothers-in-law fell to the ground when his ladder went over backwards and hit him on the forehead, killing him. Second incident happened to me when I fell from a truck ladder which resulted in me breaking my hip and elbow. Now I tie tall ladders down and make sure the feet won’t slip which I was doing today when an off-duty fireman stopped and congratulated me saying he attends too many falls from ladders this time of year. Yes, I admit it takes a lot longer but I don’t want any more broken bones or worse.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I have to admit that i haven't tied down ladders in the past... :hopelessness:

But I do make sure that the 'feet' are secure, level, and won't suddenly slip out under me. :yeah, right:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Yep. I do indeed do all of that.
And still shake like a leaf in a windstorm when I am up there. :Yikes!:

Funny - on a mountain I have very little fear overlooking drops up to 1,000 feet.
On that damn ladder, anything above 6 feet literally scares the hell out of me! :disgust:

Cheers,
Nog
You're far more likely to have an incident if you've lost your confidence. Your balance
becomes compromised and you hesitate when you should react.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Good reminder Big Lew. I never have tied down a ladder before, u just made sure the feet were nice and level and wouldn't reach out too far, but tieing down a ladder might just become the new norm for me.

Smokercraft

Reaction score
I work residential construction so I’m up and down ladders quite regularly. I try to nail down a kicker block at the bottom every chance I get or dig the feet into the ground so they don’t kick out. I’ll also put a stop on each side of the ladder at the top so it can’t slide back and forth. If the situation allows.
I have two friends that just sailed off a roof a few days before Christmas. One guy has a smashed heel on one side and a broken leg on the other. The other also has a smashed heel. A long recovery for both.
I take ladders, scaffolding and heights very seriously !!!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I work residential construction so I’m up and down ladders quite regularly. I try to nail down a kicker block at the bottom every chance I get or dig the feet into the ground so they don’t kick out. I’ll also put a stop on each side of the ladder at the top so it can’t slide back and forth. If the situation allows.
I have two friends that just sailed off a roof a few days before Christmas. One guy has a smashed heel on one side and a broken leg on the other. The other also has a smashed heel. A long recovery for both.
I take ladders, scaffolding and heights very seriously !!!
Yes, and as a former CSO, I've seen some really scary and foolish incidents.
I've also either witnessed or been on sites where workers have fallen from roofs, scaffolding, ladders,
or even uncovered elevator shaft holes and it's usually because they weren't abiding by the rules.
I blame the company supervisors as much as the workers.

Iron Glove

Reaction score
Good reminders of what I SHOULD be doing but alas I don't do.
Last winter we had a ton of snow at the cabin and there was an ice dam formed which resulted in some minor leaking from the roof. Grabbed the ladder, rested it against the eave and used a rake to clear off snow and ice. Got to the ice dam, used an axe. As a result of my calculations and judicious ladder placement, when the ice damn broke loose it slid down the roof missing me by at least a good foot or two. :Here's To Ya: I did call the Good Wife at home before I started and said I was going up the ladder and if I didn't phone her within an hour she was to call our Son in Princeton and tell him that Dad is probably dead and could he drive to the cabin to check on the dogs. All went well, leak immediately stopped. Son came up a day later to say Hi, looked at the ice dam and told me to never, ever do that again. :OH-OH:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Good reminders of what I SHOULD be doing but alas I don't do.
Last winter we had a ton of snow at the cabin and there was an ice dam formed which resulted in some minor leaking from the roof. Grabbed the ladder, rested it against the eave and used a rake to clear off snow and ice. Got to the ice dam, used an axe. As a result of my calculations and judicious ladder placement, when the ice damn broke loose it slid down the roof missing me by at least a good foot or two. :Here's To Ya: I did call the Good Wife at home before I started and said I was going up the ladder and if I didn't phone her within an hour she was to call our Son in Princeton and tell him that Dad is probably dead and could he drive to the cabin to check on the dogs. All went well, leak immediately stopped. Son came up a day later to say Hi, looked at the ice dam and told me to never, ever do that again. :OH-OH:
Lol! And I’ll bet your wife thought your comment was as funny as when I’ve told mine where I’ll be so she can come and retrieve my wallet off my dead body

Iron Glove

Reaction score
Lol! And I’ll bet your wife thought your comment was as funny as when I’ve told mine where I’ll be so she can come and retrieve my wallet off my dead body
Well, I did go out this year and buy a proper, long snow rake.
Of course, where we had over 3 ft. of snow last year, we now have 2". :Maybe:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
So this isn't how you clean the roof?

View attachment 17199
As they say...if there's a will, there's a way.
When I was a CSO I took some pictures of a fellow standing with one foot
on the sharp edge of an uplifted bucket while his other foot was on the top
of a construction column form as he shoveled concrete inside. He was high
enough that had he fallen, he would have died.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I will confess to the masses of the TNOF that I am not a fan of ladders or heights really at all. Even my bear stands are only 8'. I'd rather take on a bear than heights any day.
I fully understand your fear of heights...my wife was totally petrified of going up far on even step ladders.
She would freeze with fear sometimes when crossing a steep alpine slope and it would take quite awhile
for her to calm herself down in order to continue.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I never tied anything when I was anywhere from 800 feet and up above the ground. It would have inter feared with the floating feeling. I do not like tall ladders as they wiggle too much.
Steve

fingershooter

Reaction score
I had my extension ladders slip on me and now I make sure that the feet are level and if it is on hard ground, I stake the feet so they won't slip. A friend of mine was getting on his ladder from his roof this year after putting up some lights and the feet went out and he fell breaking his hand and wrist and ribs and orbital bone and had quite a few bruises and lacerations. Very lucky he wasn't killed.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
KeRist! :Yikes!:

Last thing I needed to do today was revisit this thread BEFORE I have to run up the extension ladder and take down the Christmas lights!

Gonna be even more shaking going on I am certain... :disgust:

Stressed,
Nog

KH4

Reaction score
I put them up with a ladder, dig the feet in the grass with the claw end of the hammer, replace the divit when done. I used the clamp clips for the lights on my fascia, so I all do is grab one end and rip them down, works great, done in 5 min.

When I re-do my siding I'm going to make a swinging panel at the bottom of the fascia with magnets. just use a hook to pull down and a stick to push back up.

Iron Glove

Reaction score
When we built our cabin I did most of the outside staining. The one end was pretty high, 2 stories, who knows how many feet.
Borrowed a neighbour's steel scaffolding, still needed ladders on top to get to the peak.
We got it done.
18 years later, I'm looking at it and realize it's time to do it again but no damn way am I getting up there again.
I'll get the Son and Son in Law to do it this time.

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Pellet gun.........fun this after noon and next years problem!:Oh Yeah!:
Would have certainly been a hell of a lot more FUN!

I survived.
Barely.
Happy I did it then as the weather has turned for the worse and will stay that way a spell now.

Cheers,
Nog The Fearful

Top Bottom