Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Cocking a Crossbow..

Thread starter #1
A

AnnieOakley

So I would like to practice with my BFs Xcalibur Exocet 225lb draw, 320fps...

But I don't know if I am just a weakling or what, I am able to pull the string to just before the latching mechanism, but seem to run out of runway...

I can do it if I lay down LOL, barely.

Any tricks or tips to help me out???

Thread starter #4
A

AnnieOakley

Yes I am using the string with handles and hooks..not sure if it's adjustable, I will check...

TheProvider

Long-Time Member
Exaclibur makes a crossbow with a shorter power stroke for this reason. It doesn't mean your weak some people do have shorter arms or just not as strong. Check out their site I havent been on it in a few years but believe they make one that is 2-4'' shorter.

Thread starter #10
R

Ruger

The only problem with the crank aid is you still need the hand aid to disarm the cross bow unless you shoot the cross bow.

BCDeerHunter

Long-Time Member
The Exocet is only the 200 lb and they recommend you be atleast 5 foot 6 inchs before attempting to cock it. But with either the Equinox or the Exomax the 225 lb ones you must be at least 5 foot 8 ichs before attempting to cock. I wouldnt say your weak but possibly to short?? :D Here is a link the where i got the info. (scoll down the the chart) http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/display/select

Thread starter #15
A

AnnieOakley

...or a BOW! *Ahem*
Also be advised it's illegal to carry a cocked crossbow in or on any vehicle. You have to get out and cock it then. If you're walking, no worries, load up.
Yes, I realize that...safety first.

I did it twice last night, but was unable to do it a third time...I am 5'7...

I am going on a bow only sheep hunt so I bloody well need to be able to cock it...I'll keep practicing..

I'm trying to remember what Philcott went through - since he has yet to chime in here - It seems he had a bit of trouble too (he's a tad vertically challenged, just like you) so he adjusted the handles of the rope cocking aid to shorten up the whole thing.

His problem was that he could not get past the last few inches so that the string snapped home in the trigger setup. He had his hands up around his chest level, trying to pull that last little bit - just could not get there. Then he shortened the rope to where he could just grasp the handles as he bent over the bow and that made pulling (cocking) a lot easier and he has had no problems since.

Hope I explained it so that you can try the same. Here's To Ya!

Thread starter #18
A

AnnieOakley

That is basically what I am doing...I can get it two times. I will try to increase it...

He finds it easier when he does it all in one motion, using a combination arm strength coupled with leg/back strength and straightening up into a standing position.

Basically he puts the bow so that he is bending over the stock, reaching down and grasping the handles of the aid. He pulls with his arms while straightening up with his body, cocking the bow all in one motion. Sound similar to what you are doing?

Marlin375

Bulls then Bucks
In the link I posted (post number 2) cocking and adjusting the handles is covered. You could likely cheat a bit by shortening them a tiny bit extra so you have to pull on the bow string just a little to get the hooks on.....every bit helps.

Thread starter #22
A

AnnieOakley

Yes, that is what I am doing, but I am all awkward and shaky, and after two successive cockings, (hehehe) I am too weak to do a third one successfully.. dammit this just sounds dirty..

Thread starter #23
J

Jeff

start doing curls with ur max weight ...do reps of 6 to 8 ...make sure u push yourself so the last one u can barely get up ...do that 10 times a day and u will be cocking it with one hand in a couple months ...im serious to ,,,not joking....u just gotta tuffen up your arms that's all..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #26
A

AnnieOakley

I no right ...haha ...but im serious about arm workouts ,,,trust me ...it will help alot
I do workout every day with arm weights and ankle weights, hiking around work. I have five lbs on each limb, but definitely not maxed weight.

I will have to buy some heavier weights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter #27
J

Jeff

I do workout every day with arm weights and ankle weights, hiking around work. I have five lbs on each limb, but definitely not maxed weight.

I will have to buy some heavier weights.

do curls and reps of only 8 ..and like I said ...go till your last one is all your arms can take...it may be 20lbs or 80lbs ...not sure how strong u are ....but ill guarantee u ..within a month it will be easier ,,,within2 months youll wonder how u ever had troubles with it

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
do curls and reps of only 8 ..and like I said ...go till your last one is all your arms can take...it may be 20lbs or 80lbs ...not sure how strong u are ....but ill guarantee u ..within a month it will be easier ,,,within2 months youll wonder how u ever had troubles with it
For cocking a cross bow wouldn't pull ups [like an inner tube around your feet, stand up straight, and pull upwards towards your chin] work the right muscles??

Thread starter #29
J

Jeff

For cocking a cross bow wouldn't pull ups [like an inner tube around your feet, stand up straight, and pull upwards towards your chin] work the right muscles??
curls would work to ......but ya cs ur right ....I used to have a 80 lbs weight bar sitting in living room for about 10 years...everytime id walk by id do as many as I could till arms couldn't do no more ...over the years it was unbelievable the difference in strength my arms got

ElkmasterC

Para Bellum, Canis Lupus
I'd see if I could get the poundage dialed down a bit, at least until you're more comfortable with it. Also, when I first started hunting, I tried a crossbow for a season or two.
I found the if I treated it like a snatch lift (There seems to be no way to avoid these terms...lol) ...get your arms flexed, bend at the knees, keep your back as straight as you can, start the pull with your arms, and as soon as you start lifting, use your legs. That way your arms aren't gonna die out that quickly.
And good luck on your hunt! :encouragement:

Thread starter #31
A

AnnieOakley

I'd see if I could get the poundage dialed down a bit, at least until you're more comfortable with it. Also, when I first started hunting, I tried a crossbow for a season or two.
I found the if I treated it like a snatch lift (There seems to be no way to avoid these terms...lol) ...get your arms flexed, bend at the knees, keep your back as straight as you can, start the pull with your arms, and as soon as you start lifting, use your legs. That way your arms aren't gonna die out that quickly.
And good luck on your hunt! :encouragement:
LOL, thanks, unfortunately the poundage can't be dialed down, I'll just have to get stronger...I'll get one of those elastic exercise things and try that..

Thread starter #32
A

AnnieOakley

Weird that my post above says this at the bottom..."Last edited by Jeff; September 8th, 2013 at 05:39 PM." Nothing seems to be changed..

Bad Arrow

Whitetailer
Annie
I wonder if you could put something under your foot as you put your foot in the stirrup,, to increase the length of pull to give you more leverage at the end of your cocking action. My equinox has alot of power in the limbs and if the rope isn't just right it makes it way tough at the end. Maybe you will have to get the self cocking aid that excalibur makes??
I have seen my son cock my bow without the use of a cocking rope:Shock:

philcott

Mucho Gusto
Hi Annie,

I was away for a couple of days and believe it or not was able to stay away from electronic devices for most of the weekend (well most of it).

Dan is right that I had a bit of a hard time when I started but I do have it down now.

I slightly shortened the cocking aid string so that when the bow is uncocked I attach one of the hooks onto the bow string, bring the cocking aid's cord up and around the groove that holds it into place when pulling and bring the other hook down by the bowstring on the other side of the channel. At this point I gently pull up on the bowstring with one hand enough to hook the hook on the bow string. For me this will have the middle of the bowstring resting about 1" above where the bowstring would normally sit at rest. Because of the way I clip the hooks on I always give the cocking aid handles a little back and forth before I pull the string up to make sure I don't have more tension on one side of the string than the other. I don't know if this is necessary or not but I just want to make sure.

Now to how I cock the string. Again, as said above, I do a combination of straightening my back and pulling up with my arms. This has me almost locked in and I give my shoulders a little tweak that sets the string home, all the while keeping my foot in the stirrup. I find now I don't even have to think about what I'm doing to cock it my body just goes through the motions on autopilot.

Be sure to watch the videos on Excalibur's web site regarding uncocking the bow. Always remove the arrow and pull up with the handle in your hand before pulling the trigger.

Phil

Thread starter #35
F

Fear No Deer

They are a great crossbow I hope you manage to be able to handle it, good luck.

Thread starter #36
A

AnnieOakley

Hi Annie,

I was away for a couple of days and believe it or not was able to stay away from electronic devices for most of the weekend (well most of it).

Dan is right that I had a bit of a hard time when I started but I do have it down now.

I slightly shortened the cocking aid string so that when the bow is uncocked I attach one of the hooks onto the bow string, bring the cocking aid's cord up and around the groove that holds it into place when pulling and bring the other hook down by the bowstring on the other side of the channel. At this point I gently pull up on the bowstring with one hand enough to hook the hook on the bow string. For me this will have the middle of the bowstring resting about 1" above where the bowstring would normally sit at rest. Because of the way I clip the hooks on I always give the cocking aid handles a little back and forth before I pull the string up to make sure I don't have more tension on one side of the string than the other. I don't know if this is necessary or not but I just want to make sure.

Now to how I cock the string. Again, as said above, I do a combination of straightening my back and pulling up with my arms. This has me almost locked in and I give my shoulders a little tweak that sets the string home, all the while keeping my foot in the stirrup. I find now I don't even have to think about what I'm doing to cock it my body just goes through the motions on autopilot.

Be sure to watch the videos on Excalibur's web site regarding uncocking the bow. Always remove the arrow and pull up with the handle in your hand before pulling the trigger.

Phil
Thanks Phil,

I have no problem uncocking it, and I have watched the videos...

Thanks for the tips, I will keep at it...

Thread starter #37
J

Jeff

Weird that my post above says this at the bottom..."Last edited by Jeff; September 8th, 2013 at 05:39 PM." Nothing seems to be changed..

ya sorry ...I screwed up and hit edit post instead of reply with quote ...once I hit post ..I realized my boo boo ..and went back in and fixed it ...sorry

IronNoggin

Stone Cold

That's the process right there. Only difference with me & my Matrix is I have the middle of the bow string about 3 to 3.5 inches above where it normally rests before cocking - quite a bit shorter on the rope cocking aid.

The Matrix is so damn powerful I have yet to find anyone who could possibly cock it by hand! Sure makes for FAST moving arrows though!! Pozitive

Work out and practice. It will come along for you...

Cheers,
Nog

Cedar Cowgirl

Cowgirl Pride.
Well if you can cock it twice you should be fine you say a sheep hunt so you can cock it before you need it after you shoot the first arrow, presumably some time after you cocked it, you should be able to cock it twice more but, the odds of you getting a chance at a 2nd and 3rd shot are pretty slim. If you must sit down and use your back in a rowing motion to cock it way easier believe me.

Well if you can cock it twice you should be fine you say a sheep hunt so you can cock it before you need it after you shoot the first arrow, presumably some time after you cocked it, you should be able to cock it twice more but, the odds of you getting a chance at a 2nd and 3rd shot are pretty slim. If you must sit down and use your back in a rowing motion to cock it way easier believe me.
More than likely you won't be able to stand up to cock it on a sheep hunt anyway.......they cans see very well with those funny looking eyes. Pozitive

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE/PRAW..... Cedar BC
I never thought about cocking it sitting down. I sure hope it doesn't slip off my toe. :tongue-new:

I better put in a mouth guard when trying this for the first time.
I wouldn't try it BUT women have smaller feet CC can shove her whole foot into the cocking loop like it was a stirrup on a saddle pretty safe and works well for her.

Thread starter #44
B

Bowzone_mikey

sounds to me like a fatiuge problem .... seriously tho ... when are you ever gonna 3 shots at anything quickly with a crossbow? ... you just need and realistically your only gonna likely get one shot at the critter anyway.

Go hunt

I personally can belive that anyone would want to pack a crossbow on a sheep hunt however ... Crossbows are heavy

RoscoeP

Long-Time Member
Use your back and legs, not your arms, your arms should be locked out and just stand up with tight core muscles. Cheers Roscoe

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
ya they can be tuff to pull, i have an ibex and its not too bad, always use the cocking string- one time i pulled and shot a couple times with just pulling the string back and then the next time i must have pulled it back with more force with one arm and it was alightly not centered and shot wayy off target-never did find the arrow- so is important string is centered in the trigger- cocking aid is a must now everytime.
-some have them lil reels that wind up the string that mounts to the stock butt of the excaliber..

I personally can belive that anyone would want to pack a crossbow on a sheep hunt however ... Crossbows are heavy
I agree with the first thought - not overly likely to get more than one shot at any given time with the crossbow.

I have to disagree with the second though. My Matrix weighs in at less than 6 pounds "Full Dressed", which is a fair bit lighter than many a rifle I carried up the hill when chasing sheep.

As for the "Why", perhaps it is a bow restricted hunt, or perhaps it is simply for the challenge. Either way I say Go For It and send along my Best Wishes for Success! Pozitive

Cheers,
Nog

Thread starter #50
A

AnnieOakley

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]6.4 lbs seems light to me

[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Draw Weight:
[/TD]
[TD]200 lbs.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Power Stroke:[/TD]
[TD]15.5"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mass Weight:[/TD]
[TD]6.4 lbs.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Overall Length:[/TD]
[TD]38.5"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Arrow Length:[/TD]
[TD]20"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Arrow Weight:[/TD]
[TD]350 Grains[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stock Type:[/TD]
[TD]Traditional[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Finish: [/TD]
[TD]Realtree Hardwoods HD[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: footnote, colspan: 2"] Arrow speeds obtained using 350 grain arrow and optional 1989 Flemish Dyna Flight String [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom