Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Cow Killers

Thread starter #1

gcreek

Beware of fat cooks and solictors for beer money!
Pulling the herd in to wean calves, preg test and move to winter pasture.

Lays have been summoned and the 4 wolves that have changed to beef for their menu are dead. They just don’t realize it yet.

Will share some pictures when I can.

13 died here last winter.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
What % of your and your neighbours stock do you lose to predators each of the last few years?
I know that the area north of Bridge Lake was losing so much that they were bringing their stock
in off the lease grazing much earlier than normal the last few years. I was fishing on East King Lake
several years ago when I had 2 different wolf packs, one on each side of the lake, hollering at each
other. I was in a canoe in the late spring and didn't have a rifle with me so couldn't take a shot at
them as they milled around the brush along the shoreline.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Only thing wrong with polled cattle. Horns may not be much but they are better than nothing. But then again those photos must be fake, everyone knows wolves only go after the sick and old. :Doh!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
A fellow I went to school with moved with his family to ranch at Young Lake.
I don't know the specifics of their operation, only that it was large and they acquired
a massive polled bull similar to the monsters seen in the PNE. It went missing so they
went out searching for it and found a scene they couldn't believe. There was their bull
dead from many injuries, and not far away was a large dead grizzly. The terrain all around
the 2 bodies looked like a bulldozer had been pushing down brush and constantly turning
around in circles. They surmise that the 2 animals had fought for a long time before both
succumbing to their injuries. The outcome might have been a lot shorter and far more in
favour of the bull had he not been polled....especially when you consider that a mature
bull can flip over a car with his powerful neck. After listening to the story, I've always wondered
what the extent of that grizzly's injuries were to kill it.

Thread starter #8

gcreek

What % of your and your neighbours stock do you lose to predators each of the last few years?
I know that the area north of Bridge Lake was losing so much that they were bringing their stock
in off the lease grazing much earlier than normal the last few years. I was fishing on East King Lake
several years ago when I had 2 different wolf packs, one on each side of the lake, hollering at each
other. I was in a canoe in the late spring and didn't have a rifle with me so couldn't take a shot at
them as they milled around the brush along the shoreline.

I can’t answer for the neighbor’s but I know our loss count is now over 400 head not coming home from range since 2003. We haven’t located the last 4 pairs and still have 15 bulls somewhere so no totals yet for this year. Paying for the removal of 13 wolves last winter did make a significant difference but one predator kill is too many.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Good luck with the bulls, used to hate it went they got all POed because the cows were gone and went to sulk in the thick stuff, thank the Lord for a good cow dog or 2.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
A few years ago in the vicinity between Logan Lake and Merritt I chanced upon a huge
old white bull standing in the middle of an isolated grassy glade smack dab in the middle
of a big swampy swale. It was late in the year well after all cattle were supposed to be off
open range. He was a cantankerous fellow and gave vivid and ample warning that he didn't
want to be bothered, and he certainly wasn't going to move away from his private domain
without a fight. My youngest brother was a foreman on a nearby ranch so he called around
to the other ranches to inform it's owner where it was. Apparently it took several cowboys
all day with a lot of scares and excitement to finally push that bull home.

Thread starter #11

gcreek

A few years ago in the vicinity between Logan Lake and Merritt I chanced upon a huge
old white bull standing in the middle of an isolated grassy glade smack dab in the middle
of a big swampy swale. It was late in the year well after all cattle were supposed to be off
open range. He was a cantankerous fellow and gave vivid and ample warning that he didn't
want to be bothered, and he certainly wasn't going to move away from his private domain
without a fight. My youngest brother was a foreman on a nearby ranch so he called around
to the other ranches to inform it's owner where it was. Apparently it took several cowboys
all day with a lot of scares and excitement to finally push that bull home.
I got the last 6 of ours in the first week of January last winter..

Top Bottom