Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Crossbow POI Shifting?

Thread starter #1

russm86

I have an Excalibur Equinox and am having issues with POI shifting drastically or not holding zero. I sent the scope back for warranty repair/replacement thinking it was the issue however since having it fixed/replaced I am still having issues. Basically I will sight it in and after a few shots my POI will drastically change by like a foot maybe even more, like it won't even be hitting the arrow block any more. When I first got the crossbow, brand new, I had to use different targets for each bolt as it would put 3 bolts in the same hole at 50 yards. After the scope work didn't seem to correct the issue I thought maybe I had a couple bad bolts (big weight differences or cracked or bent or something) so tried sighting in and shooting multiple shots with just a single bolt, tried several to make sure I hadn't grabbed one of the bad ones, but still had the same issue, after multiple shots on bullseye, it would suddenly start missing by a foot or more. This is all from the bench so I'm sure its not me. Everything seems/feels tight with scope mount and limbs and everything. What else could I be missing? Any other ideas? I'm wondering if it's still the scope, maybe they sent me back the same one unrepaired, even though it came in a new box and with all the accessories which I hadn't sent back to them? Or possibly a cracked limb, could that cause such an issue? Thanks for any help.

ape

A buddy has a new barnett and it was doing the same thing. He took it in to wholesale sports and they informed him that it would have to be sent in for warranty. Can't remember what they said it was but that it was unfixable by them.

Thread starter #3

russm86

A buddy has a new barnett and it was doing the same thing. He took it in to wholesale sports and they informed him that it would have to be sent in for warranty. Can't remember what they said it was but that it was unfixable by them.
Yea, I have e-mailed Excalibur, waiting to here back from them...

358win

Long-Time Member
Are we using the string cocker or loading it by hand?
Are we using rail lube & String wax?
Are we keeping the speed dial at 350?

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

russm86

Are we using the string cocker or loading it by hand?
Are we using rail lube & String wax?
Are we keeping the speed dial at 350?
String cocker every time.
Wax and lube yes.
Not sure what you mean by speed dial... I don't think it has any kind of dial or setting for speed...

358win

Long-Time Member
Most scopes of the newer variety have a speed dial just in front of the eye piece focus. (Vari zone). Yours may not have it. Make sure the focus ring is locked tight as well.
Other options are to make sure your limb bolts and main bolt are tight, careful they can strip if over tightened.

ape

One other issue with Excalibur is you should use their bolts. What kind are you using? Do they have a knock on them ? Excalibur recommends using knock less bolts for better accuracy.

Thread starter #9

russm86

One other issue with Excalibur is you should use their bolts. What kind are you using? Do they have a knock on them ? Excalibur recommends using knock less bolts for better accuracy.
Using Excalibur brand bolts with no knock. Even switched back to the original Excalibur field points and broadheads.

You did mention that everything was snug, tight, and screwed down properly?

I'd go over it with a fine-toothed comb and check every screw - especially those that hold the scope mount to the bow. Use a magnofying glass to check for cracks/slivers on the limbs.

It could be as simple as fletching contact or that your scope mount is loose, or even that you forget to have the cock vane in the rail track. OR it could be something major and you might have to send the bow back.

Can you take it in to a dealer and have them look it over?

ape

Talked to my friend today and he was told at WSS they figured it was a bent rail. He said it can't be seen with the naked eye so is in the process of sending his back. Wondering if maybe it got dropped or something to possibly cause the rail to be bent.

Thread starter #14

russm86

No, I haven't had a chance to check it again and take it to the range yet. Last week was really busy with work. Maybe this week or weekend if I can get caught up on a couple other projects I'm working on...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom