Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Das Boat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
So more than a few years ago I decided I wanted to get a bigger boat for the salt chuck. I couldn't afford a new one, and used ones were usually rotten. So I looked for a boat to restore as a project.
I found one, but I needed a trailer to go get it, so I borrowed one from a friend.

After I picked it up and brought it home, I had to enlist some help to unload it and prepare it for the restore.

After a bit we managed to get it sitting on tires in my yard.

Its a 1981 21 foot K & C, the inboard has long since been removed. The boat was rotten and in need of even more work than my initial estimate. The transom was rotten so it had to go.

So was

the floor and some of the stringers. So they had to go too.

So after removing the rotten bits, which included water logged floatation foam which by the way is the itchiest Sh*t known to man, we had a clean slate to work with. My son was enlisted for a lot of this work due to the fact that I blew up my left leg (ACL) and I would be out of commission for 2 years.

Part of the restore included mounting a Pod on the back.

Here is my son starting the repair process.https://imgur.com/a/jAK66

These photos are a couple of years old so I will upload some recent ones and continue the thread when I can.

Last edited:

Dru

This IS My Life
Reaction score
This will be fun to follow!
i ave always wanted to do this on a 1975 24' Searay..... but dont got the time or money

L

Leaseman

WOW!!:Yikes!:

Talk about a labour of love!!:kewl:

When do you think you will have her in the water.....:popcorn:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
This is the year I get er done.
I try to work on it every day a little. The stringers are almost all glassed in! Then the floor and then the rigging!

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
So of course I had to get a few things along the way. Like an outboard to put on the pod. Being on a budget I picked up this bad boy from Sherwood Marine. It has a rebuilt power head and runs great. I have it hooked up temporarily so I can fire it up once in a while. 225 v6 2 stroke. Zoom Zoom!

I had to convert the Moose shack so the boat would stay dry and of course heat so the resin will cure.

I also bought a brand new Road Runner trailer for it to sit on. 5 years old and has never seen a boat ramp!

I do it in stages. Currently fiberglassing the new box to hold the fuel tank. I pre cut the cloth and then lay it down. You have to put bear poo in the corners to cut down on the angle of the corners or you will get air under the glass.

When we were removing the floor we had to take out the bottom half of the Alaskan bulkhead and then replace it.

Now I am a pretty heavy dude and I was tired of always getting that squishy feeling when I walked around on boats so I decided we needed to add some strength to the boat. My son installed all of the bulkheads between the stringers. Of course I found out later that that meant you had to glass them in. This became my job as I was back in action after my knee surgery and it was my turn to get into it.

I did not realize how much time and money it would take to glass in all of the transverse bulkheads. I hope the boat still floats with all the added material.

The plywood is just temporary so I have something to stand on and a place to work from.
I will continue this thread when I have more to report. Soon I will have the glassing complete and we can take up the temporary plywood, clean up the stringers and prepare to put down the floor.

This is why I love to fish. Back in the day when you could actually keep a large Hali:

More to come after the hunting is done!

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Sure I will update as I have changes to report. This was not a very good idea and in hindsight I would never do it again. The time involved is monumental. The money is stupid. I coulda bought a boat and been fishing. At least now I will know what's under my feet after I am done.
I would not recommend doing this.
It has been interesting and I learned a lot.
When I do get it done I am sure I will be pleased with my effort and take some satisfaction in getting it done.

J

Jeff

disregard my question ...i see it now

- - - Updated - - -

giddy up with that bad boy ...i had a 150 evenrude on a 17ft K&C.....I could get up to 60mph ....scarey ...but hey ,i was always first to the fishin hole

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Time to update this thread. Das Boat is coming along. All the stringers and bulkheads are glassed in.
All the gelcoat is done except for the bilge and the fishbox. The boat is ready to receive the floor panels.
Including all the fuel tank soft patch lid there are 5pieces. 3 are ready to go down. The bottoms receive 2 coats of unwaxed resinand one coat waxed. The other 2 panels should be done by Friday and then they will be bedded on sika flex 292 fc and screwed down with stainless screws.
After that the floor gets glassed and gelcoated. Once that’s done is can be rolled out of the shed it has been sitting in for 6 years and washed. There is a lot of fiberglass dust that needs to be washed out before I begin installing the electrical.
I am so glad that soon I will never see those stringers again.!

http://s608.photobucket.com/user/islandidiots/library/Boat

Last edited:
L

Leaseman

Quite the labor show Jerry.....

Shouldn't it be done and fishing by now?? :popcorn:

After all, you have been retired for quite awhile......: : :biggrin-new: :Oh Yeah!:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
I wish it was done. I was out motoring around 2 days ago in buddy's 27 ft. Bayliner. It was warm, sunny and 2 inch waves. Checked out race rocks and saw many rock sausages.
Can't wait for it 2 be done.
I am so busy I don't have time to work. Not sure how I got anything done when I was working. This warm weather is great for glassing and so I will keep at it to get it done before winter hits.

I will be taking a brake later next week as I checking off a bucket list item and going sturgeon fishing.

L

Leaseman

I finally get it!!!.....:Doh!:

You retired so you could get the boat completed!!! : : :biggrin-new: :Oh Yeah!:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Thanks Dan! Things will move along faster now.
So good to say goodbye to those stringers. So sad that it has to sit for 10 days to cure, lol, no working on the boat!
What to do, what to do?
Pack for Sturgeon fishing Friday!
Story and photos coming.
First time for me. Hoping to hook a monster of course but being on the boat with my boys will be enough for me.

L

Leaseman

Nice work Jerry! :Oh Yeah!:

Definitely a labour of love....did a bit on one glass boat we owned......went aluminium after!!!:biggrin-new:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
The link is updated: http://s608.photobucket.com/user/islandidiots/library/Boat

The floor is now complete and glassed in with a fresh coat of gelcoat. A temporary Bilge pump is installed so Das Boat can be hauled out of the shed after so many years and given a bath, tires pumped up. Mother nature has been washing her for a couple of days now. This weekend it gets the pressure washer treatment.
Much left to do, and I will update as it progresses. Priority now is to get it ready to travel to its new home in the Spring.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Finally got Das Boat moved off the Island. Spent the last couple of weeks installing dash, controls, remote Oil tank, Fuel Filter, Batteries etc. Going pretty well, Spent a lot of time working on the engine. Fuel return lines were all leaking and brittle. Almost 14 feet of hose! Engine runs great, no alarms, Oil is flowing from remote tank. Tach works, dash lites. Still lots to do, but this is the first time it is actually running with everything installed.

A little smokey cause its a rebuilt block so runs on 50 /50 mix with oil injection until run in. Still have permanent fuel tank to install, along with gunnels, seats etc. Good to get a bunch done before we do the move to the new place.

L

Leaseman

Nice job Jerry! :Oh Yeah!:

Where do you find the time to work on it?? :popcorn: .... oh, wait....you are one of the retired Bums now!!! :highly_amused: small wink :kewl:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Oh the trouble we get into. I started this project nearly 10 years ago. Health, marriage and life got in the way. Over time, I had so much $ into it I could not back out. Ten years ago I wanted a bigger boat to go Salmon and Halibut fishing. The Ocean was 20 minutes away, now its 7 hours! Soon moving will get in the way of production. My hope is to have it in the water next year, Kootenay lake or Arrow. Still have fiberglas to do and seats to install. I have been hoarding boat parts for it and its great to see them go in the boat instead of just follow it around in boxes.

I bought the boat first as a fixer upper. I had a nicely rigged 18 foot starcraft that I inherited from my Father. It fished really well, and we had a lot of fun out in Sooke. Dads boat succumbed to age and the rivets let go so I stripped it, taking all the goodies off to put on this boat. I even kept the original running lites to install on the new boat so Dad could come along. That old Starcraft had a lot of history having been fished in the Great Lakes and the Pacific.

It is amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have to go to work. Work is overrated!:Oh Yeah!:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Well I was back at it today after being away for 6 weeks. Still, touring the Scottish Highlands in a Motorhome on the road to John O Groots was a pretty good excuse. Stood on the Spokin Bridge at St Andrews.. Ran right on the course- playing thru!
Anyway, spent the day completing another step on the repair of the delaminated glass in the fuel tank box. Finally ready for new glass and gelcoat.
After that I can mount the fuel tank for the last time. But winter is approaching and I need to get it under cover first. Sadly, all the photos are gone now with the demise of photo bucket, but the fight to the finish continues. Another year and great things achieved despite extended vacations and moving etc.

L

Leaseman

Well I was back at it today after being away for 6 weeks. Still, touring the Scottish Highlands in a Motorhome on the road to John O Groots was a pretty good excuse. Stood on the Spokin Bridge at St Andrews.. Ran right on the course- playing thru!
Anyway, spent the day completing another step on the repair of the delaminated glass in the fuel tank box. Finally ready for new glass and gelcoat.
After that I can mount the fuel tank for the last time. But winter is approaching and I need to get it under cover first. Sadly, all the photos are gone now with the demise of photo bucket, but the fight to the finish continues. Another year and great things achieved despite extended vacations and moving etc.
Well welcome back Jerry!

I was missing you input! :kewl:

Sounds like you are too busy....maybe time to go back to work?? :popcorn:...:highly_amused:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Missed the site as well. No cell or computer for 6 weeks. Way to busy to work! Being that its so dry I wasn't heading out hunting and just as well as I am not ready. Wife's new 700 CDL in 30 06 left hand just arrived from Nechako so I will be busy scoping it for her. So far behind on my honey do list.

https://imgur.com/a/jAK66

Hey, Imgur works! Moved my boat library so folks can see it again!

Last edited:

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Looking great......... I had a fiberglass business for years.....floors/stringers and transoms were my bread and butter........
trick to getting rid of the ''fiberglass ''itch is , a shower as hot as you can stand ...then its ''cold water time......
the fiberglass dust ''sits on your skins pores...cold water after hot makes the ''pores pucker and close....the water washes it off............
that's a nice transom to work on...lots of room..... I would dry fit 2 pieces or 3 pieces of 1'' G1S
exterior plywood and use galv.''cheap'' carriage bolts( well covered in paste wax) to bolt them together thru the old transom glass drilling ample ''squish holes'' to let air and excess resin run out.....a layer of 1 1/2 ounce matt .plywood/fiberglass mat plywood....
always flood coating the plywood with unwaxed resin and 10-15 % acetone so it really penetrates the wood.the stringers get completely with fiberglass mat,18 ounce roving,mat ,roving and finish off with mat ( 1 1/2 ounce). last fiberglass coat is with ''waxed resin.......I use serrated aluminum segmented rollers to work out excess resin and air....... we have a 24 ft. landing craft that we are going to pull the 2 inboard engines....and mount 2 large 4 stroke outboards on a pod.....new heavy duty floor ,stringers and foam...... for our log salvage/moving BOB CAT,TRUCKS and small excavater to building sites on islands up the inlets around CAMPBELL RIVER......son in law
needs to get it to our shop on QUADRA island....
little late now as you look like the job is under control but if you have any questions about 'glassing, feel free to e mail me....
cheers glenn

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn! Sure wish I had your help when I started, Lol. I don't have a lot left to do as far as glassing goes thankfully. Always great to talk with someone who has been there! I have really taken way to much time to do this project but it is what it is.
It will be interesting to see how august goes. House chores and the boat are on the agenda so hopefully I get lots of both done. Cheers, RB

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
do keep a ''port folio'' of the work you do......if you ever decide to sell, you have proof of a complete rebuild.......fiberglassing is NOT rocket science...jf you are unsure of something,seek info from a reliable source......understanding proper ratios of resin and M.E.K.P.P. ,Safety measures,don't work in direct sunlight....NEVER USE PREMOTER
Taking your time will produce a first class job....

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
IF I launch it this year it may be in the fall. I will launch it at Arrow lake probably. Mostly just to see how it sits in the water and to make sure the boat hasn't attached itself permanently to the trailer, lol. I still need some rigging to finish it, and hunting season and funding issues are in the way. B.O.A.T. Bring On Another Thousand. I am a pensioner!

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
IF I launch it this year it may be in the fall. I will launch it at Arrow lake probably. Mostly just to see how it sits in the water and to make sure the boat hasn't attached itself permanently to the trailer, lol. I still need some rigging to finish it, and hunting season and funding issues are in the way. B.O.A.T. Bring On Another Thousand. I am a pensioner!
Great name for it, after a successful launch party!!:Oh Yeah!::highly_amused:

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Added a couple of photos of the gunnel boxes completed. Also the steering pump I bought a decade ago NIB and the old wheel I got with the boat. Hoping to install the steering pump and wheel so I can position the seats.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
The seats are in. A little rigging and she can have sea trials. Kicker yet to come. Major steering components are in just hoses and link to kicker. Fuel hoses need install along with main fuel tank. It will always need something but I would live to launch in the spring.

Top Bottom