Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

DNA?

Thread starter #1

KH4

Anybody else do one of this DNA tests? 23andMe? MyAncestry? Very interesting and pretty fun, my wife and I did it a few years ago.

my wife did one last year......born in montreal, adopted....... green eyes,tall,blond.......I said,Save your money.... you are French/Italian or some such middle-northern European mix......i.m.h.o.

GUESS WHAT !!!!!:Lips Are Sealed:

Trinity

From the get go l have said these dna subscriptions will bite people in the ass........its been revealed various institutions have been accessing these data bases in search of info about us and our info is being sold. Law enforcement does have the right to access it too if needed. Google it up if in doubt............

I'm an ''IRISH MUTT'' with traces of Scandanavia,france,spain, South India AND picked up DNA acquired during those nights out with ''locals'' in the States,Canada and parts unknown !
I just tell 'em JE SUIS KEBEKER....:Doh!:
:hopelessness: :trouble_maker:

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Some people might find out things they didn't know....like daddy was the milkman....or not the Irishman he should have been....

I don't think them getting my DNA is a big deal because if they really wanted a sample it would be easy to collect.

Thread starter #7

KH4

From what I understand, those tests are pretty much inaccurate. I don't think I would give them my money.
They're not inaccurate persay, the methods used to determine origin of DNA are not what people expect, it is not country based, it is regional norms for DNA. Ex. folks that think they're 100% scottish may have some scandinavian DNA, why? Vikings settled in parts of scotland. So yes, they're DNA is consistent with folks of irish decent, but also wold share dna from denmark and sweden, even if they have roots going back 1000 years in scotland. The recent compison with the id twins in the news was hyperbolic, the differences were minute and within typically error, it's isn't a CSI lab.

As for the police, they have to go through the same court requests and subpeonas, they just can't randomly sample a population. Same way they can access your finances, banking and employment information. I'm not worried personally. Also, the dna is collected much differently than the dna used in CODIS. To each thier own, some folks still only use cash, that's their choice.

Thread starter #8

KH4

I'm 100% northern european, over half dutch/german, then english/irish, followed by scandinavian. It made sense based on my family heritage.

Iron Glove

Wife is really into her ancestry so I bought her one of those "spit and mail" ones a few years ago.
Some in her family claim there is FN in there but the DNA didn't indicate it, only a mix of European - English, Scottish, Irish, Danish and a few others.
Personally, I really don't give a damn about the whole thing.

Chainsaw33

IIRC the Mormon Church is the main push behind all this and that the Mormons have the largest data base on genealogy records .
They would by the last place I would be spending my hard earned $$$$.:Na-ahh:

Johnny G1

Wife had her's done and it turned out that she is eastern europian, not what she was expecting because her father was a half FN and his family was from the state's, her brother was a true native in looks and everything about him, like I told her, likely a good milkman????? but the rest of her ancester's were from Nunavat and James Bay area.

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
I think that all of us can trace their DNA back to Great Britain, Europe, and the Mediterranean.

Just varying percentages of the different regions.

For me it would be a waste of good money. JMO :Maybe:

Vic

My daughter in law is heavily into genealogy and gave my wife & me DHA kits for Christmas. These were through Ancestry.com and we should be receiving our results later this month. As others have stated we all pretty much know what they should indicate but both she and our son have received information on matches which have revealed relatives that they were unaware of. Not of importance to me really but might be interesting.

PortSide

And let us never forget our old buddies that really liked our women. "Recent findings revealed that Neanderthals interbred with ancestors of modern humans when modern humans began spreading out of Africa perhaps about 40,000 to 80,000 years ago, although some research suggests the migration began earlier. About 1.5 to 2.1 percent of the DNA of anyone outside Africa is Neanderthal in origin."

Point of interest Neanderthal existed for about 450,000 years before we came into existence and went extinct about the same time they met our women.

Chainsaw33

And let us never forget our old buddies that really liked our women. "Recent findings revealed that Neanderthals interbred with ancestors of modern humans when modern humans began spreading out of Africa perhaps about 40,000 to 80,000 years ago, although some research suggests the migration began earlier. About 1.5 to 2.1 percent of the DNA of anyone outside Africa is Neanderthal in origin."

Point of interest Neanderthal existed for about 450,000 years before we came into existence and went extinct about the same time they met our women.
So does that explain were Justin Trudeau gene's came from ? :Yikes!:

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
They're not inaccurate persay, the methods used to determine origin of DNA are not what people expect, it is not country based, it is regional norms for DNA.
Actually - they are inaccurate. small wink

My brother got on this kick.
So, him, Ma & Pa, his three daughters from the same Lady, my sister, and a couple more in the Clan (not myself) ran with this.

The disparity was beyond laughable.
The variance in the 3 kids alone was beyond incredible.

When compared to carefully detailed records, FAR too much was missing / misrepresented / absent.

Sorry (Well not so much), but the "accuracy" is like shooting a smoothbore at a 500 yard distant target. small wink
Really.

Cheers,
Nog - The North American Mongrel

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
I've done a lot of ancestry research in the last couple of years. I traced my origins back as far as the late 13th century - and the people come mainly Britain, Ireland, and the Continent... as with millions of others.

blacktail

Custom Knives and Game Calls
had a cousin on both sides of the family do geneological research.
Both sides ended up in the early 16th century within 50 miles of each other in Northern Europe
the third spur was in Northern Scotland.
I imagine with the looks of the clans of my past that there very well might be some even more northern viking blood there as well.
1/2 dutch / 1/4 german / 1/4 scot
Like Nog, turns out I am a North American Mongrel:Yee Ha:

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Exactly! :Oh Yeah!:

We are all Canadians.... well,, maybe except for Gunseller, but he's a Canadian wannabe! :victorious: :Here's To Ya: :Hi:
Thanks, I have to leave for work in a few minutes or I would type more. From much of what I have read about the DNA tests many times FN blood lines do not show up. I am 1/4 Danish, 1/4 FN and the rest is from the UK. As an Uncle once told me when the Mayflower landed we had relitives on the ship and on shore.
Steve

Thread starter #30

KH4

Well it's good to know that DNA is primarily BS, probably should change the law back to eyeball witnesses and hearsay only, seems to be more accurate

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Well it's good to know that DNA is primarily BS, probably should change the law back to eyeball witnesses and hearsay only, seems to be more accurate
DNA is NOT BS it is a very useful tool however there is a huge difference between the DNA ancestry tests and the ones used by law enforcement. To compare the 2 is like comparing a Savage and a Purdey.

I'm 100% northern european, over half dutch/german, then english/irish, followed by scandinavian. It made sense based on my family heritage.
Hmmm...
Damn close there.
Skip the Dutch, add in a little Cherokee, and that's pretty much what I am as well.
Not validated via DNA analysis, but definitely so by our peoples rather accurate genealogy records (going back to the late 14th century).

Cheers,
Nog

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Visitors are welcome but you will have to take turns. I only have 3 extra bedrooms. My house is only a little over 3000 square feet. This morning I have a little over a foot of snow on the ground and high temperatures are going to be -3 c this week.
Steve

Head Lice

Long-Time Member
You never know what you'll find . . .
My niece 'googled' her great-grandmother's very unique name. It led to an author in California who had written a book on her family history.
Long story shortened . . . .
My nieces great-great-grandfather (my great- grandfather) had married a well-to-do woman in the States . . . they homesteaded in Nebraska, and later in North Dakota.
She longed for the affluent life she left behind . . . . and left. She was pregnant.
Great- grandfather crossed into Canada and homesteaded and ranched in Saskatchewan. He married . . . they had children, one which became my grandmother.
Unknown to my family was this other family Stateside . . . one of which was the author from California.
I contacted the California author and it was very interesting indeed. She told me about her family, and very much about mine. We have the same great-grandfather.
Our mutual great-grandfather, and my great-grandmother are buried in the Rosetown, Saskatchewan cemetery . . . .
Skeletons in the closet ?
Who knows ?

Top Bottom