Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Does anyone remember...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Lot's of things will be forgotten with the advancement of ever changing technology.
Some may have been forgotten already.
Let's try to remember.

I'll start first.

Do you remember....

Jacks?

View attachment 20604
Yup! Both girls and boys played them...very competitive game. I was pretty good at it.
There were the cheap light ones and the good quality heavy duty ones. Most good players
scoffed at the cheap ones.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Then there was the most competitive game of all...marbles! Not only did the players
strive to win a game, and along with it their rivals marbles, it was very serious business
trading special coloured ones, steelies, and the big dobbers. That's where the term
'bullfudger' came from referring to someone shooting over the circle line, similar to a
bowler crossing the line when throwing the bowling ball.

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
That makes me remember the words....
Stickers. Cobs. 3/4 Cobs. Cat's eye.
Wow. Doors have been opened :Yee Ha:

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
Thanks Down wind for the memory.
Now get back to cutting up that Moose :Oh Yeah!:

By the way I am proud to say I am friends with Downwind for a reason.
He is one heck of a sportsman and a very good shot.
He is holding out some awesome stories on us :don't tell anyone:

Reaction score
Thanks Down wind for the memory.
Now get back to cutting up that Moose :Oh Yeah!:

By the way I am proud to say I am friends with Downwind for a reason.
He is one heck of a sportsman and a very good shot.
He is holding out some awesome stories on us :don't tell anyone:
Well I’m a lucky SOB some years if that’s what you mean lol. I’ll post about the moose soon, promise. Today I was busy helping clean up Little Mountain in Errington as a member of the BHA. Anyone that wants to do cool stuff like this let me know. We removed over 6 tons of garbage in today.
IMG_4210.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
never knew the pony's name.....used to shoot ''gumbys'' with a .22. brother and I.
Wonder if we could load those ''jacks'' in a shotshell ????? like a fleshette.....had 'em stateside. nasty !!!:Don't Go There:

Last edited:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Harkly and Hayward in Vancouver, spelling might not be right but lots of firearms.
As country folk, my siblings and I never traveled into 'the big city' until into my very late teens.
The Army and Navy, Harkley and Hayward, Woodwards, and The San Fransisco Pawn Shop where
I bought an almost brand new Marlin 30-30 with heavy leather scabbard were then all visited.
Prior to that the biggest and most awesome store we had been in was the Eatons Department
Store in Mission which had an escalating stairway...something we had never experienced before.

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
I guess I missed out on a lot of things by hunting all the time :Behave:

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Oh I remember those toasters Rick.... pretty darned slow when there were three young and starving boys to get ready for school....

I can't find any pictures, but I remember having to go downstairs filling a few 5-gal buckets with sawdust and dumping them into the hopper of our furnace. Distinctive smell throughout the house back in those days....

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
When my parents were rich enough, we got store bought cereal. It was Captain Crunch!
I got a free prize. Silly putty in a plastic egg :yeah, right:
GOD forbid ,''they'' would EAT IT today.......ban it from schools .. and be reported on all national news as that''terrible cancer causing'' stuff that might get consumed,...plastic egg and all !!!!!! how the hell did ANY of us survive....knives,.guns,axes, camping alone, old boats, silly putty, and all manner of firecrackers... what were our ELDERS thinking.....

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
We all had fridges but who remembers how much better the milk tasted when stored in a crock and hung in the stone well at Uncle's or Grandfather's farm.

Top Bottom