Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Excalibur Ibex - Replacement bolts?

Thread starter #1
Hey guys...

Just wondering if anyone else on here shoots an Excalibur Crossbow? I have a 2016 Excalibur Ibex, Been so busy with the move here and such, that I Haven't even shot it yet since I got it last fall... Looking to get it out for some practice in the next little bit... Only came with 2 bolts, Firebolts to be exact... Did some checking and they are the bolts that came with the bow when new... However, there's only two of them... lol

I'm wanting to buy another dozen or so but being as this is my first foray into the crossbow world, Not too sure what I'm looking for...
Did some research and found out it takes a 20" bolt, minimum 350 gr bolt/tip combo's.
Currently has FLAT back nocks... Not sure if it will safely shoot a half moon nock?

I'm assuming carbon is the way to go? but any brands hold up better? etc... Looking for some suggestions before going and spending the money...

I've looked and 6 Firebolt (OEM) bolts are roughly $65 bucks... so I have that option... I was just hoping for alternatives as I couldn't find them in stock at Cabela's here on the island...

Thanks guys, appreciate all suggestions and information...

Rob.

Just wondering if anyone else on here shoots an Excalibur Crossbow?
Yep. Tricked out Matrix 380 that is:

Owned an Ibex previously, and killed a handful of deer with it. Decent rig alright.

I'm wanting to buy another dozen or so but being as this is my first foray into the crossbow world, Not too sure what I'm looking for...
Did some research and found out it takes a 20" bolt, minimum 350 gr bolt/tip combo's.
Currently has FLAT back nocks... Not sure if it will safely shoot a half moon nock?
Been long enough I can't recall just what arrows I went with for that bow back then.
Can't go far wrong with Black Eagle stuff though: http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/Arrows-s/1814.htm

Bow specific for your Ibex, I would pose the question on Excalibur's Forum (Horse's Mouth as it were):

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/

I have the same handle over there.
Good bunch of folks, always willing to help!

You want to stick with the FLAT nocks!
Although some have tried half-moons with these bows, it is not advisable IMO!

I'm assuming carbon is the way to go?
Yep. Only way to go, again my opinion.

I run Custom Black Eagle Zombie Slayers specifically designed for my bow, and specifically designed for long distance shooting.
Unfortunately the fellow who made these for me is no longer in the business, or I'd simply refer you to him.
There are some arrow makers on the Excalibur Forum, and perhaps one will bite if you ask.

I would strongly suggest you join that site, as I am certain you will learn a LOT from those that frequent there.
I certainly did!

Best of Luck with your search!
Feel free to pm if I can be of any further assistance...

Cheers,
Matt

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
I have an ibex, don't shoot it a lot but have taken a few animals with it over the last 10 years or so. I shoot the 6 pack firebolts- they are 20" long with flat ends (never tried half moon ends) , they are the best deal/setup ive seen for them for price/pack. I use random broadheads, have about 3-4 different kinds of broadheads not sure the weights on them, I like the fixed ones..

I agree with Matt that carbon fiber bolts are the only way to go.
Broadhead choice is up to you but a minimum weight of 125 grains is optimum.

I usually put inserts into the back end of the shafts, that helps me with my F.O.C and also protects the string from fraying. I never shoot shafts with bare ends, always put in some sort of insert whether it be half-moon nocks, regular inserts, or regular nocks.

Oh - when I put inserts into the shafts, they are always cut down to customize and build that F.O.C. balance point that I was talking about. Cut them down a little or a lot as needed/requires.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
I agree with Matt that carbon fiber bolts ARROWS are the only way to go.
Broadhead choice is up to you but a minimum weight of 125 grains is optimum.

I usually put inserts into the back end of the shafts, that helps me with my F.O.C and also protects the string from fraying. I never shoot shafts with bare ends, always put in some sort of insert whether it be half-moon nocks, regular inserts, or regular nocks.

Oh - when I put inserts into the shafts, they are always cut down to customize and build that F.O.C. balance point that I was talking about. Cut them down a little or a lot as needed/requires.
There fixed it for you buddy and I'm not even an archer:Doh!:

:ROFL:

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
My ARROW Maker does much the same. small wink
I do not shoot any arrows that are not equipped with Luminoks.
To maintain FOC, that requires a heavier brass insert up front, and a 125 grain broadhead.
For the Matrix, with it's rather serious power, I have found the 125 grain Spitfire (mechanical) to be just the right ticket for all game I have hunted with it.

Cheers,
Nog

Mechanical broadheads do operate a bit better and more reliably when shot from cross bow. The power and the KE behind the shot ensures an almost guaranteed deployment of the blades. :Oh Yeah!:

Top Bottom