Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Fatal Leptospirosis With Mucocutaneous Ulceration in Procyon Lotor

Thread starter #1

newhunterette

Proud BC Resident Hunter & Gourmet Goddess
HUH? yup that's what I said until I was informed that I have mommy bragging rights to this..... My daughter, Breanne (Critter Care Wildlife Society) is part of an amazing cast of Pathologists, Veterinarians, Wildlife Biologists along with the BC Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Forest, Lands and Natural Resources as well as the Canadian Wildlife Health Cooperative.

She made a rescue of an adult male raccoon (Procyon Lotor) who was injured. And from her examination of this poor boy (without my giving details as per her request at this time) Breanne had to euthanize this raccoon. From her findings she sent photos and questions to our veterinarian because she found something off about this raccoon. Our vet also saw something not quite right so he then proceeded to do further investigation and it snowballed into a complete study. This raccoon had a very unique and rare form of Leptospirosis that had not been reported previously in any species.

Now maybe this doesn't mean much to y'all, but to me............................ Breanne at age 5 did surgery on her goldfish saving it's life..... it lived another 5 good years after she literally cut another fish out of its mouth so it didnt choke to death (I know hard to picture a goldfish with another fish stuck in its mouth). Our vet then told us "this girl is going to great things with animals".

Well her dreams of becoming a veterinarian were crushed by unforeseen circumstances but she worked with 2 of the best veterinarians in BC and she now has a very solid standing in the Animal Community both in animal care and health as well as in BC Wildlife Conservation, Rescue and Rehabilitation. You may even see her on Global news quite often or in the newpaper (most recently defending GANG raccoons slaughtering cats in communities........

Anyway I am just proud to know she will be names in this scientific paper as one of the founders along with some very prestigious people............. I will share the complete article once she gets it completed.... right now I have only seen the draft (thanks to Breanne and our vet sharing with me)

I wasn't aware that there were any forms of Leptospirosis in Canada. I know that when I travel south I get the dogs vaccinated for it as it is prevalent in some parts of California and other states.

I can't even get the vaccine here as vets don't stock it so I have to wait till I'm well over the border before it's available.

I'd be very interested to hear more about this and if it's becoming an issue here for canines. It's a horrible disease.

Congratulations to your daughter. She sounds like a bright light.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE PIG 2016..... Cedar BC
Brian, remember when I came for Taz and there was another person looking at her. I believe(and I may be wrong) that they lost their previous Lab to Lepto from eating Coon crap.

Brian, remember when I came for Taz and there was another person looking at her. I believe(and I may be wrong) that they lost their previous Lab to Lepto from eating Coon crap.
I don't remember that but hey, I forget lots of stuff. :What?:

Many new and wonderful diseases are showing more regularly up in places they've rarely been before. ( West Nile virus, Lyme disease, encephalitis). If it's becoming prevalent it's something I want immunization for.

Thread starter #7

newhunterette

As soon as I have the "all clear" I will share the findings of the article in regards to what Breanne and the others have come to........

I feel so blessed to have 2 daughters who have backgrounds in Animal Health care (although Azshia switched to plumbing) so I know the menagerie of critters that pass thru our zoo of pets get the best knowledgeable and up to date care as well as I get to learn about all the gross, weird details of necropsies, bacteria, funguses and lovely amputations that Breanne shares with me over a nice cup of tea or Azshia talks about working on a live sewer lines.............fun times

actually because Breanne works at Critter Care and she is exposed to everything under the rainbow with the wild critters, all of our pets are vaccinated with everything possible and checked regularly by our Veterinarian. One of our dogs is a therapy visitation dog so she has to be kept in perfect health at all times and up to date with all her vaccinations. Our trips to the cabin also expose our dogs to the elements so it is always a good plan to cover all basis. It is great to hear that y'all already know about the dangers of Lepto cause it was all new to me until now. I am always learning.

Heck I never thought I would get Lyme disease either and well we all know where that got me....................

Thread starter #8

newhunterette

UPDATE:

from Breanne..............
there is the final poster for the raccoon........ sorry file too large try to figure out how to share ..........................................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Thread starter #14

newhunterette

It worked, good read, but Breanne should be careful around that stuff, I do hope one day she is a Vet.
She is around so many animal sicknesses, Critter Care covers their staff with all human vaccines including rabies even though that is very very rare in BC (contrary to what propaganda rumours say). Unfortunately her days to become a vet were taken by a emplyoyer who could not follow directions and a highly vicious dog who caused permanent damage to one of her arms...but she does ok without the diploma I think.

She says hello by the way and sends love you.

Top Bottom