Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

fav broadhead

I've got two, really.

First is the Slick Trick

Second is the Muzzy

Those are the only two in my quiver. Although I do like Judo Points for small game and/or Grouse...

It all depends on the length of your arrows, and the draw weight of your bow.....talking compound bows in this instance.

Longer draw lengths (29"+) coupled with higher poundage draw weights benefit from heavier broadheads - ones that are 125 grains minimum.

Shorter draw lengths (28" and shorter) benefit more from broadheads of 100 grains and lighter. Lower poundage bows will benefit from lighter broadheads too.

Then there are the Traditional bows. They are best suited to broadheads weighing 140 or 150 grains - some even use heavier heads than that. all in the search of better penetration.

B

BChoyt

100gr Grim Reaper SS.. Awesome expandable broadhead... no bands or spings to mess with.. Opens fast and cuts huge!

what grain is best and why?

im looking to hunt bear this spring with my bow
If you're thinking of bear - I'd strongly suggest that if you are leaning towards a mechanical broadhead, you choose one that has a tip that will cut on contact before the bigger blades have to deploy. Reason for that is I'm thinking of the bear's fairly thick, and hairy coat that needs to gone through before contacting the skin/muscle. I'm concerned that the mech might loos too much momentum/penetrating power/KE before it has a chance to fully deploy.

Wouldn't want the thick hair slowing down the deployment of the main killing blades.....hopelessness

Although - BCHoyt has been successful in the past on killing a bear with a mechanical broadhead. Maybe it's just me....wtfe

RoscoeP

Long-Time Member
I have 100 grain Montecs right now(not hunted with yet) but used to use and shot a deer with 125 grain Thunderheads(worked very well) ran 40 yards. Cheers Roscoe

Looking forward to trying the 2 blade Rage 100gr. A buddy really likes them and has good luck with them, so he recommended them. The practice ones shoot where my FP hit.

I used to shoot Montec's and Muzzy's, both worked well.

Cheers

SS

TheProvider

Long-Time Member
Currently using Red Feather Archery Razor Hawks. They are however having issues finding a cheaper manufacturer to keep the product rolling in at a decent price. May have to switch over to Solid Broadhead Company. I am a big fan of cut on contact and resharpenables.

Red Feather is first pic than Solid Broadhead Company.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheProvider

Long-Time Member
First you will have to choose between mechanical or fixed blade. You got a sweet bow coming your way that will serve you well. No matter what you do don't believe the box when it say flies just like your field point.

Fixed Blades
Muzzy
G5
Slick Trick

Mechanical
Grim Reaper
Rage 2 Blade
G5

You'll hear mixed reviews about Rage Broadheads. Normally the poor reviews go to their 3 blade design which are known to come in contact with each other when deploying and not open all the way.

I'm a fixed 2 blade fan. My favorite was Bear Razorhead but they seem to be out of production and very difficult to find anymore. I still have a couple in my quiver but I've switched to the Magnus Stinger. This style gives you the best chance of a complete pass through on any given shot, all other factors being equal. Weight depends mostly on matching the spine of your arrow with your draw weight. Stiffer arrows want a heavier head.

Back in my bow hunting days I only used a Zwickey Delta or the Zwickey Eskimo I think it was called. I don't think they even make them anymore. I must be getting old.......er

:don't tell anyone:
Does google even recognize those words in a search any more?!? wtfe

Does the phrase "older than dirt" mean anything to you?

If so, then welcome to the club!! hopelessness

Westerday

CERTIFIED REDNECK
Does google even recognize those words in a search any more?!? wtfe

Does the phrase "older than dirt" mean anything to you?

If so, then welcome to the club!! hopelessness

Just because jesus was two grades ahead of me in school means nothing, I failed one year while he skipped a grade because of being an over achiever ......I am younger than dirt BUT older than grass.....ROFL-ing

F

fishingguy44

2 blade rage for me. pretty dependable. I see a couple others use the rage as well. Do you guys use the extra orange collar?

I'm in the anti rage club myself. Tried them one year and had very poor penetration on a doe with a well placed shot, like six inches in, two blade. Never shot them again. They also were always coming open on stalks. Know a few people who have had a bad experience with them on elk. I think they are just too wide and have trouble with ribs and bone, however I do know people who love them and haven't had any troubles.

I think what matters most is that your bow/arrow combo likes them and you are confident in them, bow hunting is a mental game!

I have had very good results with 125 shuttle t-locks on moose elk and deer, have been shooting them for several years. Almost always a pass through and always at least an exit wound.

I'm one of the "anti mechanical broadhead" guys too, never could get much confidence in them.

The Rage 2-blade were poor;y designed in the beginning, but I think they re-did them and pretty much solved the problem(s) they were having.

Still - not a fan of expandable broadheads.

I've tried a lot of heads over the years - and have settled on the replaceable blade, Trocar tipped heads such as the Muzzys and the Slick Tricks. The blades are very easy to re-sharpen and the Trocar tip really breaks up any bones, allowing for much better penetration.

But, as with any equipment, it is really a matter of what the user gets used to and what works for that user.

russm86

I too have gone away from the mechanical and prefer to shoot the Montecs or Stingers. Have never seen the Solid Broadhed Company before though, and I think those look quite promising...

B

BChoyt

Grim Reaper SS mechanicals... Makes a HUGE hole, lots of blood... No elastic bands or gizmos to deal with...

Currently using Red Feather Archery Razor Hawks. They are however having issues finding a cheaper manufacturer to keep the product rolling in at a decent price. May have to switch over to Solid Broadhead Company. I am a big fan of cut on contact and resharpenables.

Red Feather is first pic then Solid Broadhead Company.
Love the bleeder blades on the SBC heads. Pozitive

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom