Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Favored BC Towns

sooke45

Reaction score
These towns based on my thoughts pertaining to livability, ambience of the area, obviously outdoor activity, ie hunting/fishing and just the general feeling of peace and mental relaxation.
- Campbell River
-Sooke- used to live there
-Prince George yes P George
-Hope
-Fraser Valley
Actually any town or area north of Victoria would also make the list.
Where I live now, unfortunately, Kelowna,lucky me. Sorry Kelowna, its not my style.
Anyway thats mine, whats yours
As a footnote I probably left a lot of towns/areas out which I have not visited nor thought of which jump to mind.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Ashcroft. It's a small laid back town that's always been, and still is the hub or center of many
directions toward outdoor activity. If it weren't for my cancer issues when I was about to retire,
I would have moved there. Our government of the day promised to keep their hospital complete,
but even before the ink was dry, they all but closed it down like they did to Mission and so many
others.

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Ladysmith - has so much community activity, and during the Christmas parade it transform into Who-ville
Terrace - not so much for the town, but for the dozen or so class 1 rivers that surround it
Grand Forks - If I didn't need the ocean so damn much I think I may have retired there.
Kyuquot - boat access only town so unique it is difficult to describe
OOOOOOppppppsss - had to add Smithers to the list, no idea why I forgot to add it to the list but its one of my favourites.....

Last edited:

sooke45

Reaction score
Ashcroft. It's a small laid back town that's always been, and still is the hub or center of many
directions toward outdoor activity. If it weren't for my cancer issues when I was about to retire,
I would have moved there. Our government of the day promised to keep their hospital complete,
but even before the ink was dry, they all but closed it down like they did to Mission and so many
others.
thats strange, one place ive never been to

Iron Glove

Reaction score
When we decided to retire and leave Vancouver after 60+ years there we tossed around a number of places. We took into consideration that our Daughter was living in Mission, Son in Princeton and we have a "cabin" in Tulameen. Ended up in Hope, half way between the kids, cut the trip to Tulameen in half and if we really, really have to go to the LML its doable. Mountains on 3 sides, kinda like a poor man's Banff with fewer tourists. Can be fishing in the Fraser or Coq in 5 minutes if I walk slowly or can head to the Princeton / Tulameen area and be hunting in 2 hours or less. We have a great Rec Centre here with a rink, pool and gym, a brand new dog park, a few decent places to eat and such. Really friendly folks, actually smile at you on the streets, unlike Vancouver. Downsides are crappy drivers and the nearest edible Chinese food is in Chilliwack. When we packed our bags in Vancouver, friends were aghast that we were moving to Hope. "It rains all the time in Hope." Answer: "It rains all the time in Vancouver." "There's a lot of crime in Hope." Answer: "Um, we live in East Van, what's your point ??"

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Hope was high on my list as I had close friends there but my wife was strongly against it.
She was concerned about it being the end of the funnel of all the pollution from the valley.
She also was against moving to Lillooet, Clinton, Merritt, or Princton, others that were on my list.

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Castlegar. After 40 years in Victoria we moved to the W Koots. I miss the ocean but I love this place it is our home now and we won’t be going anywhere soon.

sooke45

Reaction score
When we decided to retire and leave Vancouver after 60+ years there we tossed around a number of places. We took into consideration that our Daughter was living in Mission, Son in Princeton and we have a "cabin" in Tulameen. Ended up in Hope, half way between the kids, cut the trip to Tulameen in half and if we really, really have to go to the LML its doable. Mountains on 3 sides, kinda like a poor man's Banff with fewer tourists. Can be fishing in the Fraser or Coq in 5 minutes if I walk slowly or can head to the Princeton / Tulameen area and be hunting in 2 hours or less. We have a great Rec Centre here with a rink, pool and gym, a brand new dog park, a few decent places to eat and such. Really friendly folks, actually smile at you on the streets, unlike Vancouver. Downsides are crappy drivers and the nearest edible Chinese food is in Chilliwack. When we packed our bags in Vancouver, friends were aghast that we were moving to Hope. "It rains all the time in Hope." Answer: "It rains all the time in Vancouver." "There's a lot of crime in Hope." Answer: "Um, we live in East Van, what's your point ??"
yeah always liked Hope, Skagit River too

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I have always loved Keremeos, Westwold, and Armstrong. Merritt would be on the list if it wasn't for the F-ing wind, Cashe Cr. Ashcroft and Clinton would be on my list as well. I'd go back to the Cariboo in a second if I could afford to get away to Mexico for about 3 months every year, except for some predator hunting and sledding, I don't miss those winters one little bit.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I like Clinton, but after spending a lot of time throughout the year visiting 100 Mile,
I removed it from my list because of the lengthy frozen fog that often plagues that
valley. Never been keen about anything north of there.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Port Alberni / Quadra Island. Campbell River area( when we move from n.nanaimo)
When I was transferred out west,Almost stopped and stayed in OSOYOOS,but not now
I do like LILLOOET area,GOLD BRIDGE, Anderson Lake.....Lac La HACHE-Timothy lake
also in the running,WELLS, where we have a small % in a mine.
done the FORT NELSON and north, the CHARLOTTES,RUPERT ,NAMU,KLEMTU, HOPE.

MERRIT.....All nice places to visit but its the island for me(including QUADRA).

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Klemtu you say Glenn, Worked for Todd and Sons cannery when my gramps was maintenance supervisor, glad I wen don't want to go back lol

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
We lived in Campbell River when I was 1 1/2 to 4 years old. My father built a house at an intersection
right across from a school being built at the same time. Tried to find the place about 60-65 years
later to no avail because that 'town' turned into a big city. Same with the Catholic Hospital...couldn't
find it later. I spent time in there with a badly broken leg. If I were to consider moving to the Island
I would check the outskirts of that city out.

sooke45

Reaction score
Lots of places mentioned here which I never thought of and would not object to Its all good. Makes me envious as to having to bear this place. I dont golf, I dont drink wine WTF

Round Boy

Can't keep a beat.
Reaction score
Come checkout Castlegar it’s awesome. If you come out this way give me a shout. We can check out the Slocan valley.
Lots of places mentioned here which I never thought of and would not object to Its all good. Makes me envious as to having to bear this place. I dont golf, I dont drink wine WTF

Iron Glove

Reaction score
Hope was high on my list as I had close friends there but my wife was strongly against it.
She was concerned about it being the end of the funnel of all the pollution from the valley.
She also was against moving to Lillooet, Clinton, Merritt, or Princton, others that were on my list.
Having travelled through Hope for decades to and from Vancouver, we noticed that the Valley Smog tended to stop at about Bridal Falls, leaving Hope surprisingly clear most of the times. The prevailing winds coming down the Fraser and Coq also tend to clear it up. We did get smoked up pretty good though from the Interior forest fires. Our tap water is untreated, only once has there been a "positive" reading which turned out to be false. Princeton was on our list for a very short time but the distances you have to travel to get different Hospital / Clinic services was too much for an aging couple to accept, particularly in the winter.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I've lived in quite few places in BC over my short life thus far....
Nanaimo, Victoria, Sooke, P.G., and Vancouver.
If I were to choose a place on the Island it may well be Port McNeil.
If on the mainland, then the choices are wide open. I'd want to give the hard winters a miss, and I'd like to take advantage of all that the Kootenays offer.... so I'd have to think hard about a place like Merritt or an area close by. Not a lot of snow, warm summers, access to almost all of BC, and not a huge distance from the northern habitats of a lot of hunt-able animals.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Port McNEILL is a great spot !!!! has a ''FIELDS'' store,a neat little coffee shop and that ''hardware-ships chandlery'' that has everything you can't find anywhere else.....last time there,bought their last 18-20 dog spikes,an 8ft. and a 12 ft. pike pole........and just up past GRIZZLY HELICOPTERS,is the( quote) WORLDS LARGEST BURL(unquote).prices are REALLY RISING so if you are interested in a house,now is the time.....

robert5

Reaction score
My favorite towns in BC, in no particular order, are Cranbrook, Grand Forks and Smithers. Having said that we
have retired in Agassiz and have a cabin at Nimpo Lake which we use all year round. Lot of friends head south
for the winter, I tell them I prefer the Nimpo Riveara. lol

partsman

Reaction score
Well my wife's only sibling is moving to Kelowna, so wife says she wants to go too, so once we sell the family home the sister will move and then it will be our turn, maybe the glenmore area

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well, at my age and health I'm not going anywhere else. They'll drag me out of my house by the boot straps.
I have many relatives and a few friends in the Okanagan that keep pressuring me to move up there but although
they have a lot more sunshine, their traffic is horrible. It's also a lot colder on my old bones.

Trinity

Reaction score
The Okanagan has been good to us, called it home the last 40 and will probably call it a day here or close. Over the years l've either hunted or worked most of the province and there isn't too many places that don't have some unique beauty. Vernon is big enough to have all the amenities a guy could want and nature with in half hour. Living 1/2 way up a mt. we get a proper winter meaning jobs not done in the fall are buried until spring, trade off is summers that don't scorch as bad as in the valley bottoms. New hospital (something that is meaning more as time goes on) a family doctor that loves to hunt and is going to out live me.......could be worse!! .

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Only time I tried that ‘sport’ was when I was 14. A buddy and I acquired a couple of clubs, a heavy driver for him, and a right handed putter (I’m left handed) for me. We snuck onto a Course and went at it. When we got bored we searched through the adjacent woods for golf balls, even trading good for bad when players weren’t looking, and then at the end of the day we sold the best ones back to players in the clubhouse

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
Me too Lew! :Oh Yeah!:

In high school we were notified we could skip out and get credit for so many rounds of golf at the local club.
Skipping out was a favorite, so this was a no-brainer!

Off we went, rented two sets of clubs with little drag along carts, and began whacking the little white balls around willy-nilly.
Third hole had a water trap.
LOADED with mallards! Mostly Drakes!!! :Yikes!:

We (my brother and another buddy) ran back to the truck, stuffed our 12 gauges in the golf bags, and wandered back.
It was quite the slaughter! Damned things let us walk right up to them before they jumped! :highly_amused:

Upon return to the clubhouse, there sat the local Greater Yellow Legs waiting for us. :Don't Go There:
Kind of tough to deny it was us with the number (right at limit) of ducks strung over our shoulders and golf bags...

Promise never to come back, and they say they won't charge!
Why OF COURSE! :Here's To Ya:

And that, right there, was my singular adventure in the world of golfing... :ROFL:

Cheers,
Nog

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Damn Matt don't you know when you shoot ducks(or geese) on a golf course you NEVER leave the same way you went in.................................or so I've heard:Heh, heh, heh:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score

In high school we were notified we could skip out and get credit for so many rounds of golf at the local club.

Off we went, rented two sets of clubs with little drag along carts, and began whacking the little white balls around willy-nilly.

We (my brother and another buddy) ran back to the truck, stuffed our 12 gauges in the golf bags, and wandered back.
It was quite the slaughter! Damned things let us walk right up to them before they jumped! :highly_amused:

Upon return to the clubhouse, there sat the local Greater Yellow Legs waiting for us. :Don't Go There:
Kind of tough to deny it was us with the number (right at limit) of ducks strung over our shoulders and golf bags...

And that, right there, was my singular adventure in the world of golfing... :ROFL:

Cheers,
Nog
Can you even imagine trying to get away with that now-a-days? :ROFL:
Sure is comforting to know that there were others that trod different paths than the masses, yes siree!

fingershooter

Reaction score

Cheers,
Nog
now that's shooting a nice round at golf!

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
as per golf,. my ex brother in law was senior editor of ''GOLF-DIGEST- MAGAZINE''. (Guy Yocom ) He has played with the top players...... but I could never warm up to the game.:Na-ahh:......After walking several hundred yards,i always felt like I should be taking a shot at something !!!!!!
besides, long walks should be up a mountain valley or mountain side !!!:ROFL:

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
After walking several hundred yards,i always felt like I should be taking a shot at something !!!!!!
besides, long walks should be up a mountain valley or mountain side !!!:ROFL:
For me one of the biggest paradoxes during a round of golf (all 3 of them I ever played.....) was listening to everyone talk about how great it was to be out in nature. I couldn't help but think that this was nothing more than a rich kid's really big professionally manicured front lawn and had nothing to do with nature.........

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
For me one of the biggest paradoxes during a round of golf (all 3 of them I ever played.....) was listening to everyone talk about how great it was to be out in nature. I couldn't help but think that this was nothing more than a rich kid's really big professionally manicured front lawn and had nothing to do with nature.........
As is said, there's usually an exemption to the rules, or in this case, perceptions.
Someone I know very intimately, even has the same mole on the same knee in the
same place as me, has procured venison from one of those manicured lawns.

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
As is said, there's usually an exemption to the rules, or in this case, perceptions.
Someone I know very intimately, even has the same mole on the same knee in the
same place as me, has procured venison from one of those manicured lawns.
A perfect use for a golf green. I have this image of a foursome walking up to put beside a gut pile..........

As much as I dislike golf, I do know that it provides a very beneficial service. If it wasn't for golf, all those idiots would be fishing my ocean and rivers and hunt in my locations.............

Top Bottom