Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Favored BC Towns

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Without going into detail, we had a place at PORT.Charlotte Florida,and it was on 2 golf greens.....there were several signs around the ponds warning to NOT try to recover balls at waters edge.....'GATORS PRESENT !!!!!!
but then,more than one golfer was ''packing''..

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Tuff choice, needs to be lots of fishing and elk hunting as well.
I cant think of one place that has it all from stone sheep to elk to good fishing with lots of choices. I don't want a big city with rush hour and noise, but big enuf for shopping selections.
Prince George it is, this time of year always complain when gets cold for any length of time. I wish didn't have to drive so far to the "good spots", but there are some nice spots around for what I like to do. A cabelas nearby would be nice..

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
wife keeps talking about selling and thinks GOLD RIVER may be an option.......fine for me....But,i told her........you would be driving to CAMPBELL RIVER EVERY DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great little place but not for everyone

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
wife keeps talking about selling and thinks GOLD RIVER may be an option.......fine for me....But,i told her........you would be driving to CAMPBELL RIVER EVERY DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great little place but not for everyone
Same with us, we are really close to putting our place up on the block. We still haven't figured out where we should land, and I haven't pulled the plug at work yet either. Someone out there would like a nice modest log house on 160 acres.......with riverfront and wildlife galore...

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Thinking about towns in B.C. only a couple I have not been to......DEASE LAKE area and GOLDEN........Both of which I enjoyed for years ,back east, reading and looking at BEAUTIFUL British Columbia magazine........
I could not imagine any place so beautiful.......then ,when I arrived ,it was WAY BETTER than I thought....wish I had come here in the early 1960's.... ski in morning, have lunch,then decide if I want to fish the ocean or a fresh water lake.....ah heck,i'll just go have a swim...:Oh Yeah!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I’ve also been to just about every town in BC. Most of them have their own character and charm, but as I prefer a dry climate and more importantly feel far better in one, that limits my choices to just a few

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I’ve also been to just about every town in BC. Most of them have their own character and charm, but as I prefer a dry climate and more importantly feel far better in one, that limits my choices to just a few
you prefer a dry climate...yet you lived all your life in hongcover

wildcatter

Reaction score
I have always loved Keremeos, Westwold, and Armstrong. Merritt would be on the list if it wasn't for the F-ing wind, Cashe Cr. Ashcroft and Clinton would be on my list as well. I'd go back to the Cariboo in a second if I could afford to get away to Mexico for about 3 months every year, except for some predator hunting and sledding, I don't miss those winters one little bit.
Well, I will be moving to Forest Grove, just a bit up and in from 100 Mile.
The winter for sure will be a trial, but the log cabin is half built and there is no going back.
My neighbors telling me it's cold but mostly sunny in the winter.
Hunting and fishing is pretty good, a decent hospital in 100 Mile, not that I'm planning to use it much:Heh, heh, heh:

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Maybe a move to the interior is in your future Dave....:not sure:
Small place like Osyoos or Naramata? Now there's a nice little town. Naramata. :Oh Yeah!:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
you prefer a dry climate...yet you lived all your life in hongcover
Yes, that's always been am annoyance for me. Family concerns on both sides have interfered with
my wishes to move. My job as well, and then when I finally was about to move, I needed to be close
to VGH and UBCH so here I still am.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Maybe a move to the interior is in your future Dave....:not sure:
Small place like Osyoos or Naramata? Now there's a nice little town. Naramata. :Oh Yeah!:
Naramata is a nice place for sure. Nope, I don't usually give up on things, but at my age
and situation, I have in regard to moving.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
One of our concerns to Dave we need to be close to her Dr's. and the BCCA, fortunately I had the chance to see/live in a lot of this Province in my life

partsman

Reaction score
Well will be moving up to Kelowna by next year, sister in law is going first and set up house with her daughter and husband and kids, then the wife wants to go as it is her only family here, so I will put in my papers and sell our place and see what I can find up there and see the areas.

sooke45

Reaction score
Well will be moving up to Kelowna by next year, sister in law is going first and set up house with her daughter and husband and kids, then the wife wants to go as it is her only family here, so I will put in my papers and sell our place and see what I can find up there and see the areas.
I move to Kelowna in 2007, due to employment. Had the joice of Kelowna or Kamloops.. Retired couple of years ago. First year was sort of a novelty. I have prev lived in Langley and Van Island.
Enyoyed both for the outdoor rec facilities.
I found Kelowna area very expensive VERY, actually outrageous. I dont mean to be negative but it is what it is. I find myself travelling afar to pursue decent fishing/hunting area. Prob not that far say the fraser valley area, CHWK. ABBOTSFORD area. Even Hope. Those area only 31/2 hrs from Kelowna. Less affordable I guarantee you! But you know the good Spouse/relative concept usually wins out. Way it is,period. I suggest be carefull, do your research pricing so not to be hard on yourself. Sorry to be pessimitic but just trying to help. Why am I still here? Still trying to persuade my spouse to relocate and ironically her relatives live in the Fraser Valley. Good Luck, Be carefull.

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I move to Kelowna in 2007, due to employment. Had the joice of Kelowna or Kamloops.. Retired couple of years ago. First year was sort of a novelty. I have prev lived in Langley and Van Island.
Enyoyed both for the outdoor rec facilities.
I found Kelowna area very expensive VERY, actually outrageous. I dont mean to be negative but it is what it is. I find myself travelling afar to pursue decent fishing/hunting area. Prob not that far say the fraser valley area, CHWK. ABBOTSFORD area. Even Hope. Those area only 31/2 hrs from Kelowna. Less affordable I guarantee you! But you know the good Spouse/relative concept usually wins out. Way it is,period. I suggest be carefull, do your research pricing so not to be hard on yourself. Sorry to be pessimitic but just trying to help. Why am I still here? Still trying to persuade my spouse to relocate and ironically her relatives live in the Fraser Valley. Good Luck, Be carefull.
sometimes we can`t see what is right outside our doors..while kelowna sure wouldn`t be my choice of a place to live . to say their is not good hunting all i can say is WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT WILLIS . you are an hour from some of the best mule deer hunting in the provence...you never go to beaverdale whitetail hunting . elk close by.... as far as fishing ...turn around 3 times throw a rock over your left shoulder and you would hit a trout lake

sooke45

Reaction score
sometimes we can`t see what is right outside our doors..while kelowna sure wouldn`t be my choice of a place to live . to say their is not good hunting all i can say is WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT WILLIS . you are an hour from some of the best mule deer hunting in the provence...you never go to beaverdale whitetail hunting . elk close by.... as far as fishing ...turn around 3 times throw a rock over your left shoulder and you would hit a trout lake
No maybe in your mind, maybe few years ago. Too many newbies around now, set up what happens ATVs come roaring by. Try again another place I am accoustemed too, happens again. You think I am going to see something? Elk! No Elk nearby, travel to the Kootneys,4.5- 5hrs then you have to come back. Troutfishing, nearby, gong show. Travel afar. Been there done that.
Now unless you skeptical people think otherwise, dont even bring up the subject again, unless your a local and think otherwise. What Im saying is it is not enjoyable, better areas to settle.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
No maybe in your mind, maybe few years ago. Too many newbies around now, set up what happens ATVs come roaring by. Try again another place I am accoustemed too, happens again. You think I am going to see something? Elk! No Elk nearby, travel to the Kootneys,4.5- 5hrs then you have to come back. Troutfishing, nearby, gong show. Travel afar. Been there done that.
Now unless you skeptical people think otherwise, dont even bring up the subject again, unless your a local and think otherwise. What Im saying is it is not enjoyable, better areas to settle.
Have to say I agree. 15 years ago and earlier I used to enjoy hunting and fishing up high east of the okanagan, doing fairly well, but don’t bother anymore because there’s just too many people

sealevel

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Have to say I agree. 15 years ago and earlier I used to enjoy hunting and fishing up high east of the okanagan, doing fairly well, but don’t bother anymore because there’s just too many people
was better hunting and fishing 15 years ago of course...but i travel from salmon arm to east, west and south of kelowna for the crappy hunting . never catch any fish either . go figger

sooke45

Reaction score
So True Big Lou, I have been disappointed. I store my rifles now in the safe. I only search the areas for upland game birds, even thats declined. Reason wild fires have driven every thing out.. Will I continue, YES, I enjoy getting out and searching. Dont se much deer anymore. Why I dont know. Article in the news Mule deer decline, Why I dont know. Hunting rifles in the safe for couple years now. What to do, whahere to go. prob up north. Wait and see.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Well, I will be moving to Forest Grove, just a bit up and in from 100 Mile.
The winter for sure will be a trial, but the log cabin is half built and there is no going back.
My neighbors telling me it's cold but mostly sunny in the winter.
Hunting and fishing is pretty good, a decent hospital in 100 Mile, not that I'm planning to use it much:Heh, heh, heh:
fishing at TIMOTHY for kokanee is excellent........RED CROW restaurant is a great place to eat.....lac laHache..

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
fishing at TIMOTHY for kokanee is excellent........RED CROW restaurant is a great place to eat.....lac laHache..
There are just so many people in that valley now...and when you add the hunters, fishers, and recreationalists
from the lower mainland it's overwhelming at times. The last time my wife and I went into an area between
Douglas Lake Ranch and the Okanagan we witnessed a steady parade of hunters on at least 30-40 atvs leaving
2 lake campsites at dawn. I can't imagine how many were doing the same from other campsites in the area.
Doesn't take much imagination to realize why there's such a decline in bucks of any size and there's no where near
the number of grouse as there used to be.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Wherever a person wants to settle a decision has to be made beforehand...

Do you live with the masses, closer into town or do you want privacy, quietness, and vacant land around you? That answer will guide your location within most any municipality. Rural living has its benefits and also its challenges. It is not for everyone.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Wherever a person wants to settle a decision has to be made beforehand...

Do you live with the masses, closer into town or do you want privacy, quietness, and vacant land around you? That answer will guide your location within most any municipality. Rural living has its benefits and also its challenges. It is not for everyone.
There are so many things that dictate where you live...
All my life I wished to live in the country, have large acreage, and have no really close neighbours.
Were did I set up my home? On a large lot at the edge of a city. Why? My new wife was looking
after her parents that lived in Mission and she wanted to be close by. I had a good job so had to
live within driving distance. Once my parents-in-law passed I tried twice to move into the Interior
but both times a recession hit and there were no jobs paying even close to the one I had. Finally
retirement came and we were set to move,, even picking out a house, but health issues nailed my
sorry rear end here close to the VGH and UBCH. I've compensated by making my backyard into an
nature oasis and take as many trips away into the real country as I can afford.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
.Be careful what you wish for - you may just get it...:Yikes!:

With larger properties comes more maintenance choirs....wtfe

I cut 2 acre of grass from the April right thru until the end of Oct.

Then I get to snow blow 300 feet of driveway at the pleasure of Olde Man Winter.

In between there are all those darned flower beds to spruce up in the Spring and put to bed in the Fall. Seems never ending. I feel a bit guilty taking an afternoon to go to the local archery club for a couple of hours 'down time'.....:Black Eye:

sooke45

Reaction score

Then I get to snow blow 300 feet of driveway at the pleasure of Olde Man Winter.

In between there are all those darned flower beds to spruce up in the Spring and put to bed in the Fall. Seems never ending. I feel a bit guilty taking an afternoon to go to the local archery club for a couple of hours 'down time'.....:Black Eye:
Think of it this way, all the healthy excercise you are getting and staying in shape

fingershooter

Reaction score
Think of it this way, all the healthy excercise you are getting and staying in shape
Ha, ha. I guess everyone has their idea of fun exercise! I am SO glad that I did not find that house on 3 acres that I was looking for 35 years ago. The only must in buying a house is it had better have a nice shop....in fact a great shop and a modular home would be fine, lol,

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
My wife and I began downsizing her extensive flower gardens last year and I’m radically continuing to do so right now...it’s just too much to care for otherwise. By the time I finish there will be 1/4 the bed area and the rest will be either crushed rock, concrete, or wood chips with big pots on top.

Smokercraft

Reaction score
So true. I didn’t see the beauty in the lml till I left. There’s gems everywhere if you want them. May take a little extra work but it is so worth it. I have a spot just outside of mission that I hike into once and awhile when I visit the coast. A rugged small lake,holds 6” cutty’s, never ever have I seen another person there. Somebody has been there because I found a beer can once!
The last time I went was 6-8 years after my previous visit. I’m pretty sure I was the only person there since I left. The trail I had used was completely over grown and no sign of anybody using the lake.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
No neighbors within rifle shot, no emergency vehicles wailing. living on a dead end private dirt road (goat path).
have lived for short times in too many big cities,to know I like solitude......I hate snow and cold weather.....so the big island (Canada) is the only place for me (Include Quadra Island).

Bow Walker

Reaction score
We live in a bit of a "rural" area - we are 25 minutes from town and we are on 6 acres which is shared between three homes. During the season I cut 2 acres of that property and it takes me at least two-and-a-half hours if I hurry - 3 hours if I do a decent job.

The thing is though..... I find it a bit relaxing. I'm sitting on a riding mower (lawn tractor) and I've got the ear protectors on plus bug spray, and I can do a lot of thinking as I go round and round - or - just go brain-dead and let the troubles of the day, week, or whatever fall away.

Of course, knowing that there are cold brewskis waiting for me doesn't hurt either. :Heh, heh, heh:

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score

It's different around our house, my better half keeps at least 5 acres cut in the summer months and I take care of the 500 feet of driveway in the winter. And I feel no guilt about taking some down time for fishing or hunting . :Oh Yeah!:

wildcatter

Reaction score
There are just so many people in that valley now...and when you add the hunters, fishers, and recreationalists
from the lower mainland it's overwhelming at times. The last time my wife and I went into an area between
Douglas Lake Ranch and the Okanagan we witnessed a steady parade of hunters on at least 30-40 atvs leaving
2 lake campsites at dawn. I can't imagine how many were doing the same from other campsites in the area.
Doesn't take much imagination to realize why there's such a decline in bucks of any size and there's no where near
the number of grouse as there used to be.

I got to know a few locals and some of them are hunters, fishers so I think will be able to find some good spots.
And I will have time to explore the area to find places less crowded.

dakoda62

Reaction score
Lived in Sooke when it was a village Lol. Port Alice, bit remote however for fishing and hunting it is awesome, but no work, Presently in Genelle in the Kootenay's, quiet out of the way 1 min to the boat launch on the Columbia river. Left Kelowna, thumbs down to big and congested.

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Always liked PORT ALICE.....my son in law grew up at VICTORIA Lake....
was up last year several times,bought some h.d.equipment off a logging company moving away.....even the ATM machine has left town......good place for a ''summer camp''.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
A perfect use for a golf green. I have this image of a foursome walking up to put beside a gut pile..........

As much as I dislike golf, I do know that it provides a very beneficial service. If it wasn't for golf, all those idiots would be fishing my ocean and rivers and hunt in my locations.............
"A perfect use for a golf green. I have this image of a foursome walking up to put beside a gut pile.......... "
Only evidence was a reddish drag mark into the bush which the rain did it's best to take care of.

Trinity

Reaction score
"A perfect use for a golf green. I have this image of a foursome walking up to put beside a gut pile.......... "
Only evidence was a reddish drag mark into the bush which the rain did it's best to take care of.
True story........years ago when Predator Ridge Golf Course was first getting up and running just outside Vermin, a few of us had permission to bow hunt below it on what was then the beginnings of the Sunset Properties development. One of the guys tagged a buck and didn't said buck use the last 30 seconds of its life to make it to one of the back greens where it expired. Hunter walks out in full camo to the gaping jaws and bulging eyes of the golfers there, grabs an antler and leaves with his animal. The (**) storm that followed was truly worth tickets.........our hunting there was curtailed shortly afterwards which we expected in light of the whining and nashing of teeth from the snowflakes, too bad, it was fantastic for white tail!

fingershooter

Reaction score
just a little hint ... golf courses are excellent drawing places for turkeys. If you can get permission, that is. Not much for gut piles but gotta clean up all the feathers. Also wonderful places to fill freezer with geese. They are not totally useless, and oh, almost forgot - there are no ticks there either!

Top Bottom