Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

First hunt of 2019,,,,,,more mallards today

Thread starter #1

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Got out a little later than we should have today but if the shooting was better we could have had our limits well before dark. Had to settle for a dozen birds between us. Could have shot any number of widgeon but my buddy told me to save my ammo for the mallards. Good thing, too, because I did run out of shells. I only brought out what was left in the box thinking if I went through them it would be a good day. Of course when I went back to the truck to grab more I must have jinxed us because only a couple of more birds came to the decoys. LOL

0-34
by Brent Davy, on Flickr

Bow Walker

ADMIN/OWNER - JUMPING IN TO HELP.
Man, oh man - I can remember my mother roasting up a batch of ducks and the house smelling like I wanted to eat the whole thing - right from gables to footings! :Oh Yeah!:

She would stuff them with a traditional bread stuffing (like a turkey) and lay a strip or two of bacon over top the breasts. Those things were to die for. :Hungry:

exps2152_CW1611C31D.jpg

Rackmastr

Mountain Hunting Fool
Is most of the waterfowling in that neck of the woods done on private or public ground?

Love the idea of being able to hunt ducks and work a dog this time of year!!

Thread starter #9

mastercaster

This IS My Life
On that particular hunt it was on private land,,,,,land that a club called International Shooters has permission to hunt on. My buddy is a member and I got to be his guest. It's not like the hunting is better than other places in that general area. It's just that you don't have to go knocking on a bunch of doors to get permission.

The other places I've gone this year is in public areas like on marshes in Ladner on the Fraser or up in the valley in the back water of a river. You do need to have a boat, however. I prefer to hunt on fields, though, but any place where the ducks are flying is good in my books! We had some pretty quiet days when very few birds were flying and of course I kept hearing, "Sure wasn't like this last year"and "I can't believe there's no ducks around" and,,,,, LOL

Rackmastr

Mountain Hunting Fool
Interesting stuff. I have spent most of my life waterfowling in Alberta so when I moved to Cranbrook I had a reduction in the amount I've been out. Got out back to AB 2 times this past fall and had some great shoots but always think its cool if a guy can do something into Jan and still have some cool hunting experiences!

Thread starter #11

mastercaster

This IS My Life
There's still one more water fowl opening left in the season for geese starting in February that lasts a month. I'd sure like to get in on that! I'm curious as to how my dog can make out carrying a bird that size.

Top Bottom