Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Freezer alarm

Thread starter #1

Slinky Pickle

Long-Time Member
While not specifically related to the content of this channel, I thought I would share the results of my evening. Last year I bought two freezer alarms, one for each meat freezer in my shop. My thought was that since they don't get checked as often as the one in the house, it might be a good idea to have them monitored. Well, I cashed in my insurance today!

I went out the shop this evening to work on something and sure enough, one of them was beeping. That freezer runs pretty steady at -20 and it was sitting at -9.8. By the time I opened up the lid and checked that the temperature sensor was still connected and working, things went up to -4. I quickly moved everything out of that freezer and split it between the other meat freezer and the house freezer. Saved about 1/2 a moose, 1/2 a WT deer and a good amount of bear. That was a great save!

I bought them on Amazon for about $20/each. Stop what you are doing right now and go order one! :)

alarm.PNG

moosen gram

Resident Hunter
Yes, they are a great item....we have a few of them but use them to monitor our sausages in the smoker! But I think we paid a lot less for them, we bought them at Extra Foods.

Thread starter #3

Slinky Pickle

Long-Time Member
There are cheaper thermometers but these ones have setpoint adjustments with audible alarms. If it hadn't been beeping then I would have walked right by and not even looked.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I actually didn't know of them....and as they sound like they're relatively inexpensive
and I have 2 freezer units in the basement utility room, I better get a couple...thanks for the tip!

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
the little wire breaks the seal a small amount for the sensor I assume?. Great idea tho, can be a ton of money in peoples freezers..

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
the little wire breaks the seal a small amount for the sensor I assume?. Great idea tho, can be a ton of money in peoples freezers..
Probably not a huge deal, but if one was really concerned they could poke a hole through the rubber seal, feed the sensor through, and then carefully seal up the hole with a minimal amount of flexible sealant.

Or, for double the money you can get a wireless unit with 2 remote sensors. :Oh Yeah!: Still worth the cost, all things considered.

https://www.amazon.ca/AcuRite-Digit...pID=31IKzNNMN4L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Might be nice to have the main unit somewhere you spend most of your time, rather than right beside the freezer. This way the alarm would be immediately noticeable and it would be obvious if a sensor battery died because no temperature would be displayed for that sensor. Perhaps it even alarms when it "loses" a sensor.

Last edited:
Thread starter #10

Slinky Pickle

Long-Time Member
Might be nice to have the main unit somewhere you spend most of your time, rather than right beside the freezer. This way the alarm would be immediately noticeable and it would be obvious if a sensor battery died because no temperature would be displayed for that sensor. Perhaps it even alarms when it "loses" a sensor.
Mine will alarm on low battery and on sensor disconnect. In my case, I would guess that the freezer was off for at least a day. It was pretty much full and if you don't open the lid, it takes a long time to go from -20 up to -10.

All I can say is that it would have been a real bad day if I had not had the alarm.

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Mine will alarm on low battery and on sensor disconnect. In my case, I would guess that the freezer was off for at least a day. It was pretty much full and if you don't open the lid, it takes a long time to go from -20 up to -10.

All I can say is that it would have been a real bad day if I had not had the alarm.
Absolutely! I was just brainstorming about the added convienience of the wireless version. 2 sensors in one make it about the same price as two of the wired units.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom