Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Good predator call

Thread starter #1

partsman

What would be a good make or type of predator call, thought it might be neat to try call in some coyotes.

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
Electronic calls are nice to have such as a fox pro- with a remote and can sit back 100m and have a lil decoy as well.
or rabbit distress hand call works well.

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Electronic calls are nice to have such as a fox pro- with a remote and can sit back 100m and have a lil decoy as well.
or rabbit distress hand call works well.
Ian;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you and this finds you ready for the upcoming week.

If you don't mind commenting, is there a mouth blown or bellows call that you prefer for calling wolves?

We've had a couple packs working the winter herds behind our house and I've been meaning to make some serious tries at calling them sooner than later.

Any tips you'd like to throw out would be appreciated as well.

I've been relatively successful over the years calling coyotes with a dying rabbit call used in combination with a howler, but have only tried calling wolves once so far - with the dying rabbit call.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you'd care to share and all the best to you this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
howling can work well for wolves. Also elk cow chirps/fawn calls and coyote pup distress calls. I once howled in 3 wolves all the way to us while we sat in a boat on edge of lake- got within 15 yrds. Just howling with my mouth- they would respond and kept coming closer, the dog we had in the boat with us was shaking and didn't move an inch or make a noise- just shaked- unusual for a golden retriever but he was very intimidated as how close they were.- was in june I think.
didn't get pix till after got phone out of bottom of tackle box and turned it on..

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
howling can work well for wolves. Also elk cow chirps/fawn calls and coyote pup distress calls. I once howled in 3 wolves all the way to us while we sat in a boat on edge of lake- got within 15 yrds. Just howling with my mouth- they would respond and kept coming closer, the dog we had in the boat with us was shaking and didn't move an inch or make a noise- just shaked- unusual for a golden retriever but he was very intimidated as how close they were.- was in june I think.
didn't get pix till after got phone out of bottom of tackle box and turned it on..
Ian;
Thanks kindly for the tips, I appreciate them.

We'll try to get out a couple times this winter and see if its calm enough to do some wolf calling.

Thanks again and all the best to you again this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

ianwuzhere

Long-Time Member
tuff to get into the wolves- they are always out there, but are very spooky, don't like to come out into the open areas very much like coyotes, they like to hide more, I always have a tuff time finding them, so lots of empty calling sets, but never know if a coyote or lynx could come into distress calls, even had deer come into FoxPro rabbit distress calls, but rare. Good luck!

Top Bottom