Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Grouse in the bag

Thread starter #4

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Good for you Dave, there has been Blood Drawn. :Oh Yeah!:
Now the wife’s turn later this afternoon. I’ve got my 5 Franklins and 5 Willow. Anyone considering heading to the East Cariboo, seems to be a good year for grouse. Have only seen one doe so far which is a bit strange considering where we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter #6

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Do you wing shoot over your Lab??
Both off the ground and on the wing. He has to be held back for the ground sluiced ones but then he goes in to flush more which I often get on the fly, but sometimes he’ll flush them into a tree. He has no training other than for ducks so he is doing quite well, especially taking direction on where to look. This trip he has picked up on what he’s expected to do so I’m very pleased.

Thread starter #7

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Both off the ground and on the wing. He has to be held back for the ground sluiced ones but then he goes in to flush more which I often get on the fly, but sometimes he’ll flush them into a tree. He has no training other than for ducks so he is doing quite well, especially taking direction on where to look. This trip he has picked up on what he’s expected to do so I’m very pleased.

Thread starter #10

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Well, good things come to an end far too soon. My wife has been suffering from an extremely
sore back and knees, but because she hasn't been out in the backcountry for quite awhile, she
sucked it up and came along for this last trip. Unfortunately even by keeping only to the smooth
roads, she just couldn't bare the pain today so I brought her home to see her doctor again. It took
her so long to get out of the truck, get and load her 22, and then try for a grouse that most of them
left before she was ready. She did get 3 willows yesterday though. I got another 5 willows today
before packing up and heading home. She never complained and did really enjoy herself despite her
pain, but something's not right so I'm insisting she get checked out. It was great to be out there even
though it was only 3 days of cruising the backroads together, watching my dog do a fantastic job of
retrieving and following my directions, and best of all, even though we were in some great areas,
we only saw a couple of other hunters out there.

Thread starter #13

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Too bad the trip had to be short ................. Take care of each other !
Yup, it's like when I was working and heading out on the weekends all over again.
That's 2 shorties now this fall, and hopefully there's a few more to come. Depending on
what happens with the wife, I'll at least be heading out with the dog for the waterfowl
opening on the 15 to18th, and then Oct 1-3rd for deer. The petrol gods love me, lol!

Thread starter #15

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Sometimes I fell like that song "three wheels on my wagon" because it's getting harder
tp keep rolling along, lol! My body's like an old piece of farm equipment that the farmer
hopes to get another couple of years out of by using baling wire, shifting past the broken
gears, parking on a hill to roll start because the battery is too weak, and only working during
daylight because the lights are burnt out, sigh.:grumpy::upset::J/K:

mastercaster

This IS My Life
Now the wife’s turn later this afternoon. I’ve got my 5 Franklins and 5 Willow. Anyone considering heading to the East Cariboo, seems to be a good year for grouse. Have only seen one doe so far which is a bit strange considering where we are.

I find that you don't usually see both (deer and grouse) in numbers in the same type of area. Grouse tend to like old growth forested areas. They'll come out to the skinny roads to gravel up. The harsher the road the more you tend to see. There might be deer in the area, too, but because the trees are quite dense the only time you see them is when they run across the roads. I'll often see grouse when I'm traveling from one slash to another as long as there is some dense forest in between the slashes or logged off areas.

Where I see deer the most is in deforested area in the slash. I'll almost never see grouse in those areas. In any event, I never saw any shortage of either the past three days depending on what I was after at the time.

Thread starter #17

Big Lew

This IS My Life
As this is an open to the public forum, I didn't post any pictures of the large area I was in
which consisted of both old and new slashes surrounded by uncut timber. I've hunted
this area on and off for over 50 years, and during the early days the grouse were so plentiful
it was almost like being in a farm yard. There was very little logging. Now the area is cut up
by the years of logging so there are all manner of slash ages. About 25 years ago I noticed a
serious increase in the number and size of the wolf packs. Between 4-5 years ago, similar to
the Bonaparte Lake area, there were wolf droppings on most of the side roads. I didn't see
that scenario this year so I imagine they've moved on to better pickings for the time being.

Thread starter #18

Big Lew

This IS My Life
As this is an open to the public forum, I didn't post any pictures of the large area I was in
which consisted of both old and new slashes surrounded by uncut timber. I've hunted
this area on and off for over 50 years, and during the early days the grouse were so plentiful
it was almost like being in a farm yard. There was very little logging. Now the area is cut up
by the years of logging so there are all manner of slash ages. About 25 years ago I noticed a
serious increase in the number and size of the wolf packs. Between 4-5 years ago, similar to
the Bonaparte Lake area, there were wolf droppings on most of the side roads. I didn't see
that scenario this year so I imagine they've moved on to better pickings for the time being.

Thread starter #20

Big Lew

This IS My Life

You notice the elevated plush viewing area for the spoiled pooch?
Underneath is all the "just in case" stuff I always take into the outback Not including the generator)
There are several blocks, shackles, rolls of cable, chain, tree straps, 4 ton come-a-long, shovel, axe,
hand saw, lots of rope, 12 gals of gas, powersaw with it's extras, electric air pump with spare tube,
patches and boots, and custom funnel for pouring gas into the truck all stuffed under that bed.
Also always have a pail of water with an anti-splash ring inside as well as an extra jug for the dog.

mastercaster

This IS My Life
That's one of the nice things about a canopy ,,,,,you can keep a lot of stuff back there, out of the weather Works well for hunting; not so much for fishing with a fly fishing pram. Both my main fishing partners have canopies on their trucks and after 30-40 clicks on dry dusty roads with a boat slid into the back of the box, when they're pulled out/unloaded the boat and everything else is absolutely covered in dust! They're always envious of me on dry days.

I don't have the canopy on my truck for that reason. My gear/boat never get dusted up but there are times when I'd like a canopy on it just to keep things dry and more secure.

Thread starter #22

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I seldom put my small boats in the box for that reason...as well as the access limiting for my dog.
I have various roof rack bars to accommodate the different boats. With the rear side windows
open but the back closed I don't get any amount of dust inside which I find comforting because I
not only am concerned about my dog inhaling dust, but exhaust fumes as well.

good job DAVE And to have your wife and puppy is a big plus........grouse in the bag,well that's just icing on the cake.......
been ''babysitting'' my daughters dog x2 so have not gone bush yet........
times coming :Oh Yeah!:

mastercaster

This IS My Life
I seldom put my small boats in the box for that reason...as well as the access limiting for my dog.
I have various roof rack bars to accommodate the different boats. With the rear side windows
open but the back closed I don't get any amount of dust inside which I find comforting because I
not only am concerned about my dog inhaling dust, but exhaust fumes as well.
A few of the lakes we go to the only way you could bring a boat in on your roof is if you spent some time with a chain saw cutting out all the lower hanging deadfalls that cross the road. I'd also have trouble getting the boat on my roof by myself when I'm fishing solo,,,, which is a good part of the time.

Thread starter #25

Big Lew

This IS My Life
A few of the lakes we go to the only way you could bring a boat in on your roof is if you spent some time with a chain saw cutting out all the lower hanging deadfalls that cross the road. I'd also have trouble getting the boat on my roof by myself when I'm fishing solo,,,, which is a good part of the time.
Yes, sometimes low trees and branches are often a problem. That's why my small boats are shallow draft
and have pronounced curved noses. If I'm not taking the dog I'll resort to using my float tubes. I don't
bring along my 12 ft aluminum anymore if I'm solo because at 205 lbs, it's just too much of a struggle now.

Thread starter #26

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Well I got out again and I am up in the Caribou hoping to get some ducks and maybe a couple of geese we’ll see what tomorrow morning brings. The road into where I am is really muddy but I got through with the trailer and four-wheel-drive so hopefully the next few days of sunshine will dry the roads up. I was going to tent it but as I sit here in warm and dry I’m glad I didn’t.

Top Bottom