Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Gun Policy will be a KEY issue in the next election

Thread starter #1
The Conservative Party, backed by an aggressive assortment of gun owners and advocates who opposed the firearm legislation, is readying itself to make the bill, along with Liberal musings about a possible handgun ban, a central part of its campaign for the election that is currently set for Oct. 21 under fixed-date election law passed by the Harper government.

Chief Electoral Officer Stéphane Perrault has stated he wants Elections Canada to be election-ready by this coming April — the same month Harder said the gun bill and the national security legislation might pass.

The predicted timeline for the passage of the Liberals’ new-gun control legislation in the Senate is raising concerns it will not become law before the next federal election...

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/12/18/gun-bills-senate-timeline-raises-concern-over-election-timing/

Trinity

Last time the cons were in a position to affect change, we got rid of a useless gun registry and very little else. Oh yes, they changed the name of C-68 with the pretense of "out of sight, out of mind". Must of worked cause here we are again trying to believe in a party whose track record of support for responsible fire arms owners only lasts till they are in power. Scratch the paint off and there isn't much difference in our two big federal parties.....the reality is neither is keen about private gun ownership in Canada. Never forget, Harper had it in his power to do as he pleased with his majority and choose not to. Canadian firearms owners have no friends in Rottawa.

olympia

Long-Time Member
Trinity, that's some very good insight but at least they do something. They lost momentum to keep going once they got rid of the registry and enacted the common sense laws but like all politicians for they need a cheering squad and people to keep pushing them. They will only do so long as they know they getting something out if it and we have to provide "it" to them

TRINITY is right on............before I started''barking'' out loud around here,i had ALWAYS said,HARPER could have done ALOT more for US sportsmen......we are just a little group in the grand voting public........we got a few breadcrumbs more than any other party was willing to give........Mr.HARPER was the master of his own demise..........he could have hired 100 liberal spin doctors to help him NOT get elected and THEY could not have done a better job than his own PC gang.......messed with the ccp/67 instead of 65......messed with soldiers pensions.........SOMETHING WE DON'T DO IN CANADA.....NEVER........
and the useless registery.......how long it took for it to go......QUEBEC kept it and now (NO Great Surprise)... it seems its still out there.....

unfortunately, no other federal party to vote for...........HAVE GUNS/VOTE PC

Make no mistake,THEY want our guns ALL OF THEM,well mabe not ALL,. like some AFRICAN countries, flintlocks,under .50 cal might be allowed as long as we don't use that dreaded EXPLOSIVE black powder... just my opinion.

David, you,ve been pounding this " mean old Conservative drum" since before the last election. What in the world do you want anyway ?

Harper was the only politician since confederation (or at least in my lifetime) that did anything positive for gun owners.

Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot. Now, because some of you voted other than Conservative, we have a government hell bent on taking more and more of our few remaining freedoms away.

With thinking like that we might just as well resign ourselves to being a gun free nation except for the military and police........and the criminals.

As my grade 2 teacher used to say. "Dear God, give me strength...." as she banged her head against the blackboard.

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
The Conservative track record is not a stellar one - nor, for that matter is the Liberals.

It is too true that we end up choosing the lesser of two evils, hoping for the best form them. :grumpy: wtfe
Dan:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that this first day after Solstice is as nice on the opposite side of the country as it is here.

As a matter of principal I try to avoid most political, religious and life choice discussions as they don't always bring out the best in some of us.

Anyway after a lifetime of working with people in various capacities - HR/Safety and other middle and upper management, then in non work activities like gun club executive boards, church boards and local water boards I'd make the following observations - and to be clear I make them to nobody in particular.

Speaking broadly, the absolute best predictor of future behavior of any given individual or group of like minded individuals - so that includes a church denomination, political party, gun club, wildlife federation, etc - is past performance.

There have been so few exceptions to this rule that it's scary.

Yes individuals can have a "Road to Damascus" experience whereby the persecutor Saul became the Apostle Paul - but they're rare as hen's teeth.

Secondly there are individuals - mostly men but increasingly I see women wired so - who are born with an innate will to resolve problems for themselves and others around them if necessary. They are able to make decisions, sometimes life and death in a moment and are willing to live with the ramifications of said choices. That said, these same people in general typically aren't eager to make everyone or anyone around them believe or act the way they do - they just want to rectify the issue at hand and move on.

The folks so wired are often the sort who will view firearms as a part of the repertoire of tools that may be helpful to solve the vagaries of life. Typically they're not looking to need to use the tools - say like the fire extinguisher or catch rope I keep in the trunk of my commuter car, but then so help me I've used both.....

Anyway the folks so wired - the independent minded problem solvers - tend to scare the living daylights out of those not wired that way - for a plethora of reasons. I can list a few dozen if anyone cares, but I know from looking into the eyes of people at meetings spanning a lifetime they don't get me and I "worry" them.

Firearms and personal firearm ownership are absolutely a symbol to the other folks of what is scary about this side. They believe that if they could rid the world of that frightening symbol that they would be safe and we would be less frightening.

Anyway sir, I've typed too much and gone fairly Freudian - but there it is.

Do your research, see who has been scared of you the most in the past and vote accordingly. Just know that you absolutely do frighten folks on all sides of the political spectrum because of who they are.

With that cherry thought, I'll wish one and all here Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
It would be great if we had an alternative but as it stands the Conservatives are the lesser of 2 evils. They have some good members Bob Sopuck is one an avid hunter with a head on his shoulders and time for everyone. I worked with him on the stupid E-collar legislation put forward a few years back. Great guy with his feet on the ground not on a pedestal of his own making.

Thread starter #12
As early as 2002 Harper PROMISED to "to repeal Bill C 68 and replace it with a firearms control system that is cost effective and respects the rights of Canadians to own and use firearms responsibly".

https://dennisryoung.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Stephen-Harper-on-Bill-C-68.pdf

Bill C 68: http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/35-1/bill/C-68/royal-assent

He repeated this exact same promise on numerous occasions, but when in power REFUSED to act upon his words.
It was MUCH easier to simply repeal the Registry which was leaking credibility and dollars faster than a whorehouse in Mormonville.
When challenged on this, he again held the carrot out to firearm owners saying he would follow though.
Repeatedly.
It was simply a carrot, one designed to keep firearm owners firmly on his party's side.
There was never any intent to actually follow through on this.
It was to be a perpetual carrot.
And for that I hold Harper personally accountable.

http://www.cufoa.ca/articles/primeminister/pm_26_mar_2015.html

I will admit that for a myriad of reasons, I wanted to see Harper gone.
Even so, I voted for the Best Candidate in my region, which happened to align with his party.
There were a hell of a lot of issues and reasons people across Canada wanted him gone.
And they succeeded in doing so.

I do suppose today that many who voted against him are banging their heads against the wall at the dismal results.
No-one could have predicted that Pierre's Idiot Child would sweep the polls the way he did.
But again, one hell of a lot of that was directly due to Harper and his behavior.

So, bottom line: Today we have the Idiot and his Henchmen conspiring to do away with our tools of choice.
And we have Sheer & Company saying they will repeal these obnoxious acts...

I have written Sheer directly, asking if he will promise to live up to Harper's promise re: C 68.
No answer to date.

Harper played all of us Gunnies to his advantage.
We must never forget that.
At the same time we must be very aware of the tack Pierre's Idiot Child and his Merry Band of Complete Incompetents is taking in our regard!

All of that said, I certainly do know however who I will NOT be voting for... small wink

Cheers,
Nog

Bow Walker

SGT MAJOR IN DUMBELDORE'S ARMY.
I liken it to all of us being treated like mushrooms. we are being kept in the dark and we are being fed a steady diet of crap.

Seems that we are damned if we "do" and damned if we "don't". wtfe

none of the political parties are much interested in us,.actually if gun owners were to disappear over night, they ALL would cheer!!!!! we are simply a usefull ''tool'' to the conservitaves on occasion.......being a ''English Quebecer,'' I have voted PC from day one in FEDERAL POLITICS....... problem in Canada is we firearms owners do NOT have the power folks have stateside...i.e. the NRA...... Even law enforcement in MANY areas are PRO FIREARMS and champion the rights of private citizens to ccw.
Too many in this country ''THINK'' we are a force to be reconded with, we are NOT. HELL,the leif lickers and the rainbow flag '' organization get more attention and have more votes than gun owners.......AND they DO VOTE!!!!!
NOT what some of you fine folks want to hear but that's how it is.......
worse yet, check out the BIG NATIONAL gun site.......the constant infighting,mud slinging, its a joke........we as a group can not come together .....
if TRUDEAU /goodale/blair/ pull this shyt off, well all I can say is GLAD I SOLD ALL MY RIFLES and SHOTGUNS,
might have an old muzzleloader around...that's it.
my handguns, registered......no hiding that fact......
we're in a tight corner AND it don't look good......................

Trinity

Lots of opinions for sure..........where does it say the Canadian electorate HAS to choose between the lesser of two evils when it comes time to vote? We get the govt we deserve, and the only reason we have in place what we do is because of our complacency and what we are willing to accept from our politicians. ( think France right now!) No one wants to talk about the elephant in the room but sooner or later Canucks are going to have to make a stand of whether they will or won't obey the govt's dictates when it comes to our firearms. Doesn't matter which govt. is in power, our means to look after and defend ourselves are being eroded.
Reality is "l got em, you want em.....your move" If every firearms owner in Canada adopted the same stance, there is nothing any govt would try... period. Will it happen........not a chance, we like to eat our own and whine at each other about how terrible our lot in life is instead. That said, I believe there were enough of us that let Paul Martins govt know we weren't into registering anything last round and that sobering thought was enough to make the govt of the day realize they were getting into a position, where the options weren't looking good.......checking the gospel of google, Canuckstan has less then 70,000 cops and less then 90,000 armed forces including reservists, while depending on whose numbers you use, there could be as many as 6 million plus firearm owners in Canada.....just saying. Best part is, combined we spend hundreds of thousands if not millions of safe, accident free hours pursuing or interests with firearms every year, responsible firearms owners aren't the problem.....but then we never were.

You're right David. If every responsible firearm owner in Canada banded together and told the government to pound sand when they tried to legislate these stupid, accomplish nothing restrictions on law abiding citizens, we wouldn't have to worry about losing any more of our freedoms.

If you can ever muster enough like minded people together count me in. In the meantime, because we don't have a second amendment or a strong enough gun lobby in this country, I'm stuck with choosing a government that will cause me the least grief.

Hope the dogs are good....

wildcatter

I, as all of you had high hopes for the Harper government, we got something but not enough.
We could perhaps start a movement like the liberals and bleeding heart lefties did before the last election.
STOP TRUDEAU! Or simply just STOP T

Last edited:

Elk Hunter

What I get from this thread is, "if the Cons don't give us everything we want, lets vote for 1 of 2 parties that will give us everything we don't want"! Ya better get ready for another 4 years of Mr. Dressup, because the Libs aren't tired of JT yet.

Elk Hunter

You're right David. If every responsible firearm owner in Canada banded together and told the government to pound sand when they tried to legislate these stupid, accomplish nothing restrictions on law abiding citizens, we wouldn't have to worry about losing any more of our freedoms.

If you can ever muster enough like minded people together count me in. In the meantime, because we don't have a second amendment or a strong enough gun lobby in this country, I'm stuck with choosing a government that will cause me the least grief.

Hope the dogs are good....
I'll bet that there are less than 1 million hunters and shooters in Canada, and many of them are not smart enough to vote against politicians that brag they will try to take our guns if voted in... good luck getting them to work together for the good of all if they are willing to cut their own throats at the polls

Thread starter #21
I'll bet that there are less than 1 million hunters and shooters in Canada, and many of them are not smart enough to vote against politicians that brag they will try to take our guns if voted in... good luck getting them to work together for the good of all if they are willing to cut their own throats at the polls
Kind of a defeatist attitude don't you think?
There are over 2.5 million firearm owners in Canada at this point.
Not certain how many are "active" in terms of hunting or range work though.
I tend the think that the majority of them are not stupid, and are indeed paying attention as to who says what politically about their ability to keep owning what they currently do.

I also believe that the vast majority of Canadians are recognizing just what a failure Pierre's Idiot Child & His Band of Complete Incompetents really are. Although there are some hold-outs in the east, even there support is crumbling. One only has to watch the public involvement / reaction at his ongoing pre-election town hall meetings of late. It certainly is not all sunshine & rainbows any more.

By the time we do get to the election, I believe Boy Blunder will make several more mistakes, and send even more of his support base packing. That will not of course be decided on a one issue (firearms) basis, but rather a combination of many (which he is so graciously providing these days). One can hope that there are enough of us to send him packing this go as a consequence...

Cheers,
Nog

I agree with NOG that the election will be decided on how poorly mr.dressup has/is performing ,how many billions has been spent that has done nothing for Canadian citizens......
the firearms issue,although a ''big- deal'' to us, is a very small part of the next election......
The ONLY party that is anywhere near firearms/hunting friendly is the PCP.
I certainly would not vote for JAKES Garage, fresh fish and POLITICAL Party........... we NEED a party on par with the libs.......of course one can always vote NDP....

Elk Hunter

With a new split in the conservative vote, there is very little chance of defeating the gropper, although that might be all the edge the NDP needs to form their first federal govt. I hope I am wrong but at this point I see another 4 years of anti gun govt.

wildcatter

Kind of a defeatist attitude don't you think?
There are over 2.5 million firearm owners in Canada at this point.
Not certain how many are "active" in terms of hunting or range work though.
I tend the think that the majority of them are not stupid, and are indeed paying attention as to who says what politically about their ability to keep owning what they currently do.

I also believe that the vast majority of Canadians are recognizing just what a failure Pierre's Idiot Child & His Band of Complete Incompetents really are. Although there are some hold-outs in the east, even there support is crumbling. One only has to watch the public involvement / reaction at his ongoing pre-election town hall meetings of late. It certainly is not all sunshine & rainbows any more.

By the time we do get to the election, I believe Boy Blunder will make several more mistakes, and send even more of his support base packing. That will not of course be decided on a one issue (firearms) basis, but rather a combination of many (which he is so graciously providing these days). One can hope that there are enough of us to send him packing this go as a consequence...

Cheers,
Nog

Well said and hope you are right.

KH4

A lot of liberal folks are not happy with Turdo's performance, especially with his last mis-step with the pipeline.

This could push lib voters towards the NDP, splitting the Lib vote and allowing the Cons to slide in. The only catch is that the NDP has a dud leader, definitely no Layton, and his focus is not really on the hot topic issues, usually refuses to comment on them.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Libs. The only thing that could spoil it is if Scheer, who by no means is a wordsmith, says the wrong thing that can ignite some other controversy. He needs to stick with facts, avoid slander, and let the Libs hang themselves. His content is good, but delivery needs some polish.

indeed KH4,.
a still tongue makes a wise head........mr.dressup just ah, loves to ah, loves to um ah hear himself and the ah, voices in his ah,head ah, talk ah, yes ah, yes.....
we ah need to ah,open the ontario border and ah,alberta border ah we ah ah ah..........''come on in ....i need ah votes......
AH GO **** Yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFL::No need to say more.....:OH-OH::harumph:...its time out ah 4 ah me:Lips Are Sealed:

Thread starter #27
The buzz on Parliament Hill over the past couple of weeks (to the extent there has been any buzz other than the Liberals’ SNC-Lavalin scandal) has been that the federal government now believes an all-out handgun ban might be too expensive.

Since last summer’s tragic shooting in Toronto’s Danforth district, the Trudeau government has been searching for some dramatic gesture to symbolize how much they care.

One thing hasn’t changed, though. The Liberals’ justification for new gun controls is still the assertion that the main source of crime guns in Canada is legit owners – people who have licences and buy guns legally, but then “illegally divert” guns to the black market for thieves or drug runners.

Perhaps most troubling, there are more than 420,000 Canadians who are banned from owning guns, typically because of previous criminal convictions. But Goodale had to admit recently, the federal firearms computers “do not capture information concerning the illegal acquisition of firearms by prohibited persons.”

The Liberals are about to impose more restrictions on legit owners to win votes in Liberal cities and to claim they are taking action to reduce crime.
Yet they have no clue – none – how many convicted criminals possess guns or where they got them.

Talk about cynical, ineffective policy.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...als-cynical-ineffective-gun-policies-continue

Nog

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
LIBERALS = ANY LIES to get what they want !!!!!

most people believe what they hear on liberal controlled media.......its on t.v. so it MUST be true. !!!
The Liberal truth is they are taxing my arse off and giving the money away like they have their own printing press....I am sick and tired of it!! It's one thing to pay taxes for OUR social programs in CANADA but this Trudeau largess is wearing awful thin. And now with this SNC thing, well that was the icing on the cake, it's time for them to go IMHO

Thread starter #32

wildcatter

‘The Proposal Is a Ban on Private Ownership,’ Government MP Says

A public-relations firm that advises the government has said new restrictions on gun owners present an “untapped opportunity” for Trudeau to win re-election this year. A poll late last year showed almost all Liberal voters are hostile to gun owners in cities.

https://thegunblog.ca/2019/02/24/the-proposal-is-a-ban-on-private-ownership-government-mp-says/

Starting to get it yet??

Wondering...
Nog

Not good, we have a fight on our hands.

:Na-ahh:............NOT ABOUT SAFETY, ....NOT ABOUT ANYTHING BUT TRUDEAU AND THE FEAR HE HAS,JUST LIKE HIS FATHER AND THE REST OF THE LIBERAL S.O.Bs who want to RULE US.......... OWNING FIREARMS JUST MAKES IT DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS FOR THEM..........I CAN SEE BILL BLAIR AND HIS ''NEW'' BROWN SHIRTS KICKING DOWN DOORS .........HEY,WAIT A MOMENT, DID NOT HITLER DO THE SAME THING??????? COLLECT THE FIREARMS, :trouble_maker::stinky::Don't Go There:

wildcatter

:Na-ahh:............NOT ABOUT SAFETY, ....NOT ABOUT ANYTHING BUT TRUDEAU AND THE FEAR HE HAS,JUST LIKE HIS FATHER AND THE REST OF THE LIBERAL S.O.Bs who want to RULE US.......... OWNING FIREARMS JUST MAKES IT DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS FOR THEM..........I CAN SEE BILL BLAIR AND HIS ''NEW'' BROWN SHIRTS KICKING DOWN DOORS .........HEY,WAIT A MOMENT, DID NOT HITLER DO THE SAME THING??????? COLLECT THE FIREARMS, :trouble_maker::stinky::Don't Go There:
No Hitler didn't do that, that's a lie.
Firearms were permitted as Germans were big on hunting.

:OH-OH::OH-OH:..My bad !!!! mr.dress-up and his ''gang'' said hunters and ''farmers'' will ''NOT'' be unfairly impacted............guess its the target shooters that M,UST TURN IN FIREARMS UNDER PENALTY OF ''LIFE IN PRISON or WORSE'' !!!!1

Buck fever

If Jody Wilson Raybould screws them out of the time, and a majority, we will all owe her.
Yes, Harper did the minimum, but with his scrap Bill C 68 promise, he stabbed a lot of his supporters, contributers and campaigners in the back.
He cut a secret trade deal with China, which could get us sued for $billions, and lets them control us, to a great extent.
I hear Pfiser is considering re-labeling "Preperation H" ,as "Harper goes to China lipstick!"

Buck fever

Trump taught everyone, the key to getting elected is to lie so much, it becomes accepted as truth, regardless of evidence to the contrary. Worked for him ,and many other rednecks in disguise. He is getting increasingly imitated, by politicoes everywhere.
What they need is a ten day camping trip, near Churchill, unarmed, when the poar bears are in. (Eduactional)

If Jody Wilson Raybould screws them out of the time, and a majority, we will all owe her.
Yes, Harper did the minimum, but with his scrap Bill C 68 promise, he stabbed a lot of his supporters, contributers and campaigners in the back.
He cut a secret trade deal with China, which could get us sued for $billions, and lets them control us, to a great extent.
I hear Pfiser is considering re-labeling "Preperation H" ,as "Harper goes to China lipstick!"
Sometimes I just gotta agree with you ...:Oh Yeah!:.....:Here's To Ya:GLENN

Thread starter #42
What will make you safer is targeting the smugglers who supply gangs with illegal guns from the U.S. and hunting down those who use them in crimes.
Blair made a good announcement on Tuesday in giving money to Ontario to fight gangs and guns. Let’s hope he doesn’t ruin it by attacking duck hunters and sports shooters because they are easier targets than gangsters.

https://www.kenoradailyminerandnews...ense/wcm/25b7cee0-0c77-4e9e-87fc-a08162e8a38e

latest report is 11 deaths EVERY DAY from drugs in Canada....that's roughly 4000 a year !
how many killed by people using firearms AND DON'T count ''police''shootings.......
mabe as was said,TARGET THE REAL BAD GUYS not us !!!

Top Bottom