Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Hamburger patties that won't fall apart on the bbg grill...

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
OK, I give up and need some helpful suggestions.
I have tried to bbg beef pattiess several times without much success in them not falling apart
or seriously sticking to the grill. I have tried some of the suggestions found 'on line' such as adding
an egg or using cold meat with poor results. I've also rubbed butter on the grill bars just before
placing the patties. One common tip is not using extra lean meat but I don't like greasy or fatty meats.
My cooked but crumbled patties that I can salvage from the grill taste very good when I use fresh extra
lean meat. The only time things have worked well has been when I purchased the pre-formed frozen
patties but that was at a sacrifice to the taste.

Trinity

Reaction score
I've had good luck with an egg and handful of oatmeal to hold burgers together. Lately, the BBQ queen here has taken
to using a box of stove top dressing to the burger.....taste very good and doesn't fall apart.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I use an egg and panko crumbs. I also mix in 1/3 sausage meat and 2/3 beef(wild meat) make sure the grill is clean then soak it down with oil like you would season a cast iron fry pan. Works for me.

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
We use a egg and a small package of Lipton's Onion soup mix , never have had a issue of hamburgers falling apart .

robert5

Reaction score
As said above you need a binder, both oat meal and panco work well. An egg is good to. Make your patties and put them in the fridge for an hour or so to firm up before grilling. Pam is your friend on a clean bbq grille.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting suggestions. I will have to try them to see which ones work the best for me and my extra lean meat.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
We BBQ a lot.... we use LEAN or EXTRA LEAN BEEF
add 1 egg and add ,as JIM says, PANKO or BREAD CRUMBS mix really well with hands...

we like to add garlic powder/seasonings.....
I put olive oil on a plate and cover both sides of 'burger
every time bbq is used... I scrub it with a wire brush until its spotless and let it burn for 3 or 4 minutes....
really thick burgers, I put a hole in center,almost like a donut.......... ours never stick...

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
We do a lot of burgers here too.
In fact, we eat off the BarBee 5 out of every 7 days or more.

For burgers (starting lean as all I do is moose, elk or deer) I will often add in a little ground pork for juiciness.
Then an egg or two, and a good shot of bread crumbs (Italian ones are great!).
Usually some garlic & herbs, then well mix and let sit for a while.

I either well oil the grills with BarBee Pam, or use one of our Barbecue cooking mats.
These I have found somewhat indispensable, and they allow me to cook a lot of other items on the BarBee I normally would not:

https://ca.cookina.co/collections/all/products/cookina®-barbecue

Cheers,
Nog

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
We do a lot of burgers here too.
In fact, we eat off the BarBee 5 out of every 7 days or more.

For burgers (starting lean as all I do is moose, elk or deer) I will often add in a little ground pork for juiciness.
Then an egg or two, and a good shot of bread crumbs (Italian ones are great!).
Usually some garlic & herbs, then well mix and let sit for a while.

I either well oil the grills with BarBee Pam, or use one of our Barbecue cooking mats.
These I have found somewhat indispensable, and they allow me to cook a lot of other items on the BarBee I normally would not:

https://ca.cookina.co/collections/all/products/cookina®-barbecue

Cheers,
Nog
Going to find one of those grill sheets for sure...although I like putting garlic in the mix, I can only put it on within the sauce
I use for the one's I will be eating. Can't have it in the one's my buddy Tuk eats. Same with onions. I have to use thinly sliced
onions in my buns, or sprinkle chopped onions on mine afterward.

robert5

Reaction score
Big Lew where did you get your info,my dogs have been eating onions and garlic for many years without problems,
and I am talking probably over 40 years. Mind you not every day.

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Another thing is next time you go to your local Super Mart is stop by the meat section and ask if they have any beef fat trimmings . They work great for treating the grill . Our local store doesn't even charge for them .

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Big Lew where did you get your info,my dogs have been eating onions and garlic for many years without problems,
and I am talking probably over 40 years. Mind you not every day.
  1. SourceIt is not safe for dogs to eat onions, garlic or chives.
    Onion in all forms - powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated - can destroy a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder found in some baby food... More >>Sources:
    1. WebMD - http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/slideshow-foods-your...
    2. PetEducation.com - http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+165..
    See Also: Animal Poison Control Center · What to Do · Toxic Plants

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
  1. SourceIt is not safe for dogs to eat onions, garlic or chives.
    Onion in all forms - powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated - can destroy a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia. That can happen even with the onion powder found in some baby food... More >>Sources:
    1. WebMD - http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/slideshow-foods-your...
    2. PetEducation.com - http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+165..
  2. See Also: Animal Poison Control Center · What to Do · Toxic Plants
"Any member of the Allium family—onions, garlic, leeks, and chives are the most common reported to cause toxicity—contains N-propyl disulfide,” says Dr. Ann Hohenhaus, staff doctor at NYC's Animal Medical Center. “This compound damages the oxygen-carrying substance found in red blood cells called hemoglobin.”

This kind of damage can cause red cells to rupture and be cleared from circulation faster than normal. This condition, hemolysis, results in anemia and red or brown urine. “In severe cases, the anemia may lead to internal organ damage, organ failure, or even death,” says Konecny. If your pet has eaten any garlic or onions he or she may also experience gastrointestinal irritation.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Really don't now how all my dogs have lived to ripe old age without problems.
I would assume that like most things, moderation is the key. Some of the many 'experts' on the subject
state that most of the Allium family have to be ingested in fair amounts and on a regular basis to have
serious effects, but some dogs are more sensitive and show effects sooner than others.
Grapes and raisins are more deadly, yet many dog owners have allowed their animals to eat them while
not noticing obvious effects. That's not to say that things aren't being damaged inside though, and if the
ingestion continued for very long and at a frequent level, the dog can die. Same thing with fruit pits and seeds.
They say that most seeds or pits contain arsenic and dogs can die from eating them. We used to toss cherries
for our dogs to eat, not knowing the potential problem, and we never observed them getting sick or ill....mind you,
we didn't realize the threat so weren't looking for any signs.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Well I bbq'd some more hamburger patties just now and thanks to member's suggestions, they were a success.
I mixed the extra lean beef hamburger with an egg and part of a box of stove top stuffing, easily made each
'soon to be' patty into a ball and flattened them onto my new Teflon bbg sheet and they cooked without crumbling
and tasted really good. Thanks!

robert5

Reaction score
I would assume that like most things, moderation is the key. Some of the many 'experts' on the subject
state that most of the Allium family have to be ingested in fair amounts and on a regular basis to have
serious effects, but some dogs are more sensitive and show effects sooner than others.
Grapes and raisins are more deadly, yet many dog owners have allowed their animals to eat them while
not noticing obvious effects. That's not to say that things aren't being damaged inside though, and if the
ingestion continued for very long and at a frequent level, the dog can die. Same thing with fruit pits and seeds.
They say that most seeds or pits contain arsenic and dogs can die from eating them. We used to toss cherries
for our dogs to eat, not knowing the potential problem, and we never observed them getting sick or ill....mind you,
we didn't realize the threat so weren't looking for any signs.
Thanks for your concerns!

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
Well I bbq'd some more hamburger patties just now and thanks to member's suggestions, they were a success.
I mixed the extra lean beef hamburger with an egg and part of a box of stove top stuffing, easily made each
'soon to be' patty into a ball and flattened them onto my new Teflon bbg sheet and they cooked without crumbling
and tasted really good. Thanks!
Good job,DAVE !!!
:Oh Yeah!::Oh Yeah!: But now you will have more new friends who ''love'' your burgers !!!!! :ROFL: glenn

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Maybe try using your favorite bbq sauce instead of the egg to moisten the dry binders of panko or stove top. It'll give you extra flavor and do the same job as the egg.

I like the idea of making up the mix and setting it in the fridge for an hour - this lets the moister combine with the dry binder and set up the patties really well.

Great idea /\ robert5! :Hi:

jenn7210

300 MAGNUM
Reaction score
You could use the old sausage maker's trick ........................ use salt to extract the proteins of the cold meat with vigorous mixing . Extracted proteins will be shiny and sticky , add some water or other moisture to keep moist.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the great tips.
I would suspect that one of the reasons the stove top stuffing worked so well is the salt content.
Fortunately I only used part of a box...it doesn't take much, and like what was mentioned, it adds
a nice zingy taste as well.

robert5

Reaction score
I tried the corn meal stove top stuffing in the buffalo burgers I made, great taste and will definitely use again.
Also used a silicon sheet on the BBQ, worked well with no sticking and easy clean up.
Thanks for all the great tips!

Last edited:
Top Bottom