Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Handheld telescope

Thread starter #1

PortSide

https://www.amazon.ca/Monocular-Lan...s/B074GWN2R8/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I am thinking a small hand held telescope (monocular) would be better than a bulky pair of binocs. The one above is $20. I could not be sure to take a shot in the brief minutes to confirm a buck yesterday after it sauntered into the heavy cover. Too short a time to fish my binocs out but a little monocular in a coat pocket might have worked. Scoping with rifle is awkward sometimes if you have a backpack.

have been thinking the same thing ,.my left eye is not so great and I have been using my 8x range finder.
not a very wide field of view but for looking at a known target as opposed to trying to scan a far off clearcut, it works fine....that being said,my binos are all x8 power....
Never been one to use my 'scope for looking an area over..

Buck Naked

Have one we use at concerts and such, but find it not as user friendly as binocs
Have been using a set of compact Pentax binos a lot lately for hunting, always handy
If you have to 'dig out' your binos, they are pretty much pointless

My concern would be the jitters that go along with trying to hold the monocular on target, especially if it is of a power over 8x coupled with a smaller objective lens. :Maybe:

Binos (generally) are held with two hands, very steady. :Oh Yeah!:

Thread starter #5

PortSide

Two hands better than one for sure particularly long scan kind of thing. Fast grab quick look to see antlers or no with buck moving into thicket more of what I am would like to get... so thought small monocular stashed fast grab might work. I would not go hunting without my binos.

Top Bottom