Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Home-Type Log Splitters....

• Admin

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Electric or Gas or Kinetic?

I've been researching them for home use. The electric ones are virtually maintenance free and can be used in an enclosed building - like a garage or something like that - for when the weather is crappy.

The best rated electric splitter for home use is the BOSS ES7T20 7-Ton pressure, 15amp power, a lot less noisy, and has a 2 year warranty.
$585
71GBs2Oz7FL._SL1500_.jpg

The next best rated is the WEN 6.5 ton splitter....15 amp, 2.5 hp motor.
$430
p_1001214341.jpg

These are the ones that I'm considering - mostly because they will do the job, but they are also a lot less expensive than either gas powered or kinetic splitters.

Anyone have any experience with log splitters - either electric or gas?

358win

THE WEATHERMAN
Reaction score
My wife bought me a 5 ton electric splitter 5 years ago to save my back...
OK let's all say it....Awwww.
Ahemm.
Canadian Tire brand, and It has been working great as long as the rounds are under "14 inches in diameter and are at least 1 yr. old.
On sale for $299.99

logsplitter.jpg

Foxton Gundogs

END of TRAIL Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
We had a Cambodian Tire 3 T electric/hydrolic splitter used it for 10 yrs still going when I left it with my X. Wood was our main heat so we went through a LOT.

robert5

Reaction score
Best to look for one with the splitting wedge tilted forward at the top not set at 90 degrees to the frame. Work better as the wedge enters the wood at an angle.
I have built a couple and find this works best.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I've used manual splitters many times over the years even on tough huge blocks.
They hardly ever fail....but the old body sure does now-a-days! Sure would be nice
if I had any one of those new fangled contraptions you bet!

Redneck

Reaction score
My dad built one about 34 years ago. I've never asked him, and don't want to, about exactly what was involved in the process, but it took about 12 years before it worked worth a damn, and had to be started out on small kindling type stuff. Now though it just has to be delivered to a pile of logs with a cooler full of fuel (mum's home made cookies, bunwiches, and Lucky Lager), and will convert the pile to bucked and split firewood stacked in the truck.

I usually go home before he gets me to stack it in the woodshed too though.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Good to hear that the "el cheapo" kind can be like that Ever Ready bunny.... :Oh Yeah!:

When the time comes - maybe as soon as two months with luck - I'll probably go for the WEN splitter and start getting some of that "natural" kind of heat.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Best to look for one with the splitting wedge tilted forward at the top not set at 90 degrees to the frame. Work better as the wedge enters the wood at an angle.
I have built a couple and find this works best.
The wedge on the Boss splitter looks to have a forward tilt to it. :Oh Yeah!:

So does the WEN, for that matter - although the tilt isn't a whole lot, but I suppose that it doesn't have to be?

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I've talked with a guy at work who heats his house with wood burned in his stoves.... He gets 5 cords every fall and he only has an "el cheapo" splitter from Cdn Tire. He's had it for more than 10 years and it just keeps on going - or splitting if you prefer.

Something to be said for the cheaper ones and regular maintenance. :Oh Yeah!:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I saw that one..... wasn't too sure about the two-way splitting action to be honest. Looks like a good chance for what they call 'ride up" to happen. Although - that back, pusher wedge looks a bit flatter or wider and less aggressive than the front (receiving) wedge does - so that might help. :not sure:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I guess no one uses a heavy maul and wedges anymore it seems. I have both, but as I don't see
that I would ever use them on my little plot, they'll likely be added to the stuff I'm gathering over
the next while to trash.

moosecamp

The only place to be...
Reaction score
Fifteen cords this year all split by maul and wedge. Don't know how many more years I'll be able to keep going but I'll keep at it to things give out. Then the boy now 13 should be able to take over and I'll sit back and give directions. Broke two axe handles this year that I need to fix.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Want and/or Need List.....
  • Wedges - $7 - $10 ea.
  • helmet - $40 - $80
  • chaps - $100 and up
  • grease gun + grease for chainsaw bar tip $7 - $12
  • depth gauge - $7
  • build a sturdy table/platform for the splitter - time and materials = about $40
flat files (got 'em)
round files (got 'em)
gloves (got 'em)
3 lb sledge (got it)
chain sharpener (got it)

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Jeans have never let me down, I got steel-toed shoes, gloves are for my delicate hands (too many years dealing with soft, greasy meat) - so, other than maintenance needs I think I'm good to go. Oh, couple quarts of ATF for the hydraulic ram.

AIN'T NOBODY MORE SIMPLE THAN ME :Na-ahh::Heh, heh, heh:

Smokercraft

Reaction score
I was going to buy a maul and wedges last fall. Then the electric splitter came up for sale for cheap. Why anyone would use a maul when you can just push a button is beyond me.
I throw the splitter on the tailgate of my truck when I get home and split it as I’m unloading the truck. I do my darndest to only cut standing dead larch. Usually not much bigger then 14” round at the butt. I don’t want to be wrestling big ugly pieces around. Plus if go after the smaller stuff the wife can help. If it’s to big she just sits in the truck and get to do everything!

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
When my wife and I would go camping, especially in the fall, we would cut up firewood
from dry hard downed trees, one's with few or no branches if possible, and get so caught
up with it that we had far more than we needed. Like 'Smokercraft', I would make sure all
the blocks were not too heavy for the wife. Once split into the various sizes for the fire, I
not only enlisted her to help stack, but the dog would do his share of packing wood to the
pile as well. Even though it was work, it was fun and we all looked forward to it at every chance.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
If (when) things some to pass I will be dropping quite a few trees to open out a view and to provide more in the way of natural light. I suspect that the splitter will be put to good use, as well as the chainsaw that I had to get just to clear the windfalls from Dorian.

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Well done Bob. :Oh Yeah!:

Great looking splitter you got there.

Do you use it in the upright position much? Is it hard to roll the wood onto the 'porch'? I saw a nifty little idea on U-tube.....the guy had made a bit of a ramp from 2x4's that he had screwed together to allow the logs rounds to be easily gotten into position.

robert5

Reaction score
Well done Bob. :Oh Yeah!:

Great looking splitter you got there.

Do you use it in the upright position much? Is it hard to roll the wood onto the 'porch'? I saw a nifty little idea on U-tube.....the guy had made a bit of a ramp from 2x4's that he had screwed together to allow the logs rounds to be easily gotten into position.
I never have used the vertical position as I do not have a bank to place it on and on flat ground there is to much bending over.
I am only splitting 16" long dry pine so it is not heavy loading the wood on to the bench, besides usually have
big strong son passing the rounds from the trailer to me. lol
The unit makes a proximity 50 tons of pressure. If you look at the back stop, made out of reinforced 12" channel,
you will see it is at the same angle as the splitting blade. It was not designed that way, it started out at 90 degrees
to the bed.

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
We have a 4T one from Canadian Tire, been using it for 15 years or so now, would never go back to a maul and wedges. Doing real big rounds can be interesting but it handles pretty much anything I put into it. You won't regret getting an electric splitter.

robert5

Reaction score
We have a 4T one from Canadian Tire, been using it for 15 years or so now, would never go back to a maul and wedges. Doing real big rounds can be interesting but it handles pretty much anything I put into it. You won't regret getting an electric splitter.
I agree, mine was built pre electric splitters.

PortSide

Reaction score
Going to Canadian Tire in 1 hour. Just spent 9 hrs with the maul and at 65+ yrs as another load landed 18/20 inch stumps I am going to "press a button". We have a big old sod running of the diesel tractor but that has its own set of problems, smell, noise, set up etc.... so Crappy Tire ... on the way.

PortSide

Reaction score
While looking at Yardworks log splitters on for 1/2 price at CT, I happened to noticed a very large Fisgars maul. Looked well built so I bought it. Worked awesome on the stumps and with the wedges must admit very impressed. So, I have put the CT Yardworks on hold for now (their info said good for 10in stumps although I was told 20" no problems but am sceptical of that claim.) However, realistically I so see a log splitter down the road. I do enjoy the manual wood splitting... takes me way back.

PortSide

Reaction score
Thanks. Is that brand of splitter you've been using for 15 yrs still around?

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Between an electric splitter and a maul with either a sledge hammer and/or a couple of wedges I think that we can lay this problem to bed. :Oh Yeah!:

Top Bottom