Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Hot Dogs

Thread starter #1
F

Fear No Deer

Well lets hear it what do you like to put on your hot dog ? maybe first I should ask what kind of dog do you prefer, and what kind of bun as well. I have had a couple of dogs in the last two weeks being camping and all and do take a few on hunting trips so lets here what you guys do with theses things.

Share the magic boys.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Whole wheat bun, thin slice of old chedder (lightly melted on the slightly toasted bun),
hot dog relish (the old fashioned kind, not the sweet) finely chopped white onion, ketchup,
and a beef wiener. No pork wieners for this guy.

Thread starter #5
F

Fear No Deer

Hey Rob nice to see they come out the same way they go in :Yikes!:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay one of my old time favorites KD & wieners now that's double dipping.

KTownKiller

I Need To Get A Life
With Rob on this one! YUK! :disgust: Don't mind if they're quality, made with real meat....but no frigg'n "byproducts" slide'n down this throat! :Na-ahh:

Dru

This IS My Life
ketchup mustard and fried onlions... nice'n simple....
took years to be able to eat them again tho..... we had a "Customer appreciation day" at Windsor Ukee one weekend.. I volunteered to run the Q .... I didn't bring lunch for 2 days... I ate a thousand of them..... uggg

I prefer a 'sausage' rather than a wiener - more texture to the meat as it is not emulsified.

I love the classic Italian sausage (mild) and grilled peppers on a toasted bun of any kind.

If it is just a plain old hot dog, I'll put sauerkraut, mustard, and ketchup on it before shoving it my lunch hole....

Dru

This IS My Life
we had a batch of elk smokies with cheese made up....... man alive they were good.... but you gotta make damned sure they are cool before biting them...

image.jpg image.jpg

If not a Bratwurst it will be a Johnsonville of some flavour...
Horseradish Mustard.. Frenches Ketchup.. Real Mayo.. Red Relish....
Time permitting: diced onion and peppers

put a couple away yesterday ..: :

That being said..
Tough to visit Costco with out a trip to the Cafeteria for a Polish...

image.jpg
image.jpeg

Fresh Bakery Buns Split down the Centre for us ...

image.jpeg

Interesting Looking Hawaiian Dog....:kewl:

Last edited:

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE/PRAW..... Cedar BC
Can't go wrong with wieners and beans, now if your talking a straight hot dog on a bun..... needs to be a chili dog topped with melted TEX-MEX cheese and RAW ONIONS.
There fixed it for you Corey

- - - Updated - - -

European wieners on herb buns on the menu for tonight here.

BCROB

we had a batch of elk smokies with cheese made up....... man alive they were good.... but you gotta make damned sure they are cool before biting them...
now your talking , love jalapeno cheddar elk smokies........thanks for the reminder , going to grab a pkg for camping

Big Lew

This IS My Life
I prefer a 'sausage' rather than a wiener - more texture to the meat as it is not emulsified.

I love the classic Italian sausage (mild) and grilled peppers on a toasted bun of any kind.

If it is just a plain old hot dog, I'll put sauerkraut, mustard, and ketchup on it before shoving it my lunch hole....
Tried beef sausage a couple of days ago...to me it's way better than pork.
Far less grease and fat. It actually had a nice taste to it rather then whatever normal
pork sausage tries to portray.

BCROB

I remember when we used to travel to the island for lacrosse and fastball tourneys...........for some strange reason always loved the ferry chilli dogs :hopelessness:..............:not sure:

Last week I was shopping at Sobey's out here and picked up a pork and apple sausage that had been wrapped in thin pizza dough, then baked.

Man. oh man was that good. The sausage was coarse ground,the flavouring did not taste like chemicals.

Occasionally dipped it in smokey bbq sauce as I snarffed.

Thread starter #20
F

Fear No Deer

OK needed to go to Costco anyway but now I'm hungry $1.59 dog here I come
Go for it buddy and have two.

The problem I have with the Costco ones is that I taste them for the next 3 hours they give a bad case of the burps and don't taste as good the 2'nd - 12th time.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was a teenager Micro waves ovens first came out at the 7-11 and yes indeed me and all my buddies were into the nuked cheese dogs, ah the good old days of eating all the junk food one wanted.

square88

If you are talking hotdog like ground up chicken lips and other noxious substances I will pass, but if you are talking smokies and any of their offspring I have had many a good meal with them.

KTownKiller

I Need To Get A Life
All I can imagine is the yote bait they make them out of! :Doh!: "All beef" can be a lot of different stuff! Just say'n! :highly_amused: Enjoy 'em, guys!

Seriously though, I do like a good quality, European wiener! Been a long time since I had one.

Thread starter #27
F

Fear No Deer

European wiener is a hot dog and man with sauerkraut they are the best :Oh Yeah!: just sauerkraut fried in a pan.

Thread starter #32
F

Fear No Deer

If you can find a good sausage place you can get real meat dogs, hard to find but worth the trip.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./CERTIFIED GOOSE/PRAW..... Cedar BC
Used to be a little place on I80 in San Mateo called The Doggy Diner, they had like 50 or 60 different hotdogs on the menu with about 8 or 10 different kinds of wieners/sausages. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM AWESOME

KTownKiller

I Need To Get A Life
Are you a Lable Reader... :Yikes!:....

Thought I read somewhere that they are Government Inspected...:Doh!:
I guess you better stick to the Peanuts and Beer at your next Mariners Game....:J/K:[/QUOTE

I trust the ones more that don't come with a label. Like from a good little meat shop, not the prepackaged crap with more than 50 ingredients!

Of all people, I thought you guys would know what real meat is! :Doh!: LOL

Thread starter #40
F

Fear No Deer

Funny i don't eat many hot dogs but every now and then while I am camping or hunting i just feel the need, after all it was the main course for many years when I first started hunting.

Hot dogs are a once-in-a-while thing, either for a quick supper, or a lunch.

But - every time I go to Costco I find myself eyeing up that "deal"...... knowing full well that if I get one I'll be burping for a few hours afterwards. wtfe

Algorithm

Long-Time Member
I tried a recipe that I saw on the news one morning, they had on a guy from house of Q. Ground pork wrapped around a cheese string and then wrapped in bacon, bbq with Apple butter sauce. They sure we're good!

image.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom