Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

How can we get more people engaged with this forum?

Westside Stores

Westside Stores
Reaction score
This is a great forum that has excellent people and it is very easy to navigate. How do we get more people involved? I was thinking of posting a link in our footer by creating a "forums" quicklink on our Westside Stores Online Store. Do you all think this would be a good idea? There are so many anti's out there right now so I am at a stand still... Let me know what you guys and gals think.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
it is a dilemma..being "out of sight out of mind" might be ok for our little group but it doesn't help your sales much....heheheh...I think we have the resilience to handle the possible inflow of "anti attention" and would hopefully gain a lot of exposure to other hunters and outdoorsmen that would benefit our site....soooooooo my humble opinion is yes...put a quick link on your homepage

Finaddict

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I would encourage some expansion of the forum. I do enjoy the company here, but I think it could use some fresh ideas, and new experiences. The hurdle is the medium. Forums are not a social medium structure that many people use anymore (particularly the younger crowd)

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I'm all for it! :Oh Yeah!:

I think that we could certainly handle any or all negative attention that might come our way. For an anti to join, get validated, and start posting drivel would be a hard thing to accomplish. Our vetting process is pretty stringent.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
This is a great offer by WSS, and could not have come at a better time as we are working on another plan for site promotion as well.

Westside Stores

Westside Stores
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input, we really appreciate it. I created a link for "Forums" under our Navigate bar which eventually I will fix our quick links and add it there on our website.

This might be silly but I am going to share a piece of past, I grew up in the Okanagan and my favorite place was Al's Sports Store! I would go there with my dad and sit on a stool for hours, listening to all these wild stories/adventures of everyone coming into the outdoors shop. I would learn so much and Harv would always give me a fly to take home after I would organize something in the shop. This started at the age of 5 for me after moving from the north. It was a place you could find out all the information on hunting, fishing, events, volunteering for wildlife, banquets, you name it, it was there on a huge old bulletin board. Westside Stores website is just a modern version of it for people that can't step into our doors, It's not always about driving sales.

Can you remember your first memories that started the whole outdoor interest in hunting and fishing for you?

-Sarah

Last edited:

Bow Walker

Reaction score
Mine started when I was probably about 4 or 5 years old. Dad would come home from duck hunting and we (me and my two brothers) would all gather around and "help" with the plucking.

Messy, with feathers everywhere but it was always fun. Then a few years later me and my older brother took turns going out deer hunting with dad. THAT was what got me hooked on the outdoors and being out in the bush,

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Hey Sarah, thanks for the post on the old sport shops. I was brought up in a passionate hunting family and we ran charter boats/water taxis as well so I was involved from the time I could understand. That being said I remember how much I loved hanging out at Parkers Hardware and looking at the gear and guns I even bought my first CF rifle there in 1959. But the biggest influence was Paul DesBrisay who owned DesBrisay's Sporting Goods in Haney. He always had time to talk answer questions and help out the kids. None of us ever missed a weekend of duck shooting because we didn't have $1.99 for a box of Canucks, Paul made sure of that. Thank you sir where ever you look down from

Bow Walker

Reaction score
We had a store in Nanaimo much like those ones described above. It was Johnson's (or Johnston's) Hardware store. That place had so much 'stuff' in there it took quite a while to find anything that was openly displayed - and the stuff that was in the back room, in the basement, and upstairs was even worse. Only a few of the staff could navigate and find things.

Wonderful place. It even had the olde pot-bellied stove that was fired up in the fall and winter months. Great place to hang out and shoot the breeze.

Top Bottom