Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Hunting northern bc

Reaction score
Hey new to this but was hoping to find some advice or knowledge about hunting near scoop lake . Me and some co workers are planning a trip there in the fall for some elk and was wondering if there’s camp sites or anything on it ? I can’t find much about it other than scoop lake outfitters which is a guided outfit but we were wanting to hunt the area without joining a guide. Any input would be great thanks.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Welcome pull up a piece of the ground and spin us a yarn, tell us a little about your past adventures

Reaction score
That’s what we are trying to figure out. Drive somewhere close like Cassiar and then fly in. I’m pretty sure you can only get to the lake by plane .

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
Or by river boat.....

Know someone?

Never ever been up that way myself. Only ever got as far as PG when I lived there for what felt like 10 years, one year.

Reaction score
Ya I need to get a better map and see if any rivers feed into that lake.. but we might have a guy to fly us in just sorting that out . I’ve never been that far north in B.C. either that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone knows the area at all. Mostly do all my hunting in Princeton , Kamloops or east kooteney region

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Very Very busy place during Elk season resident pressure . Most elk hunting is done off the river .

Reaction score
Really eh? We are hoping on flying right to scoop lake and doing our own thing so hopefully we get that figured out. Thanks for the tips though , really appreciate it

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Really eh? We are hoping on flying right to scoop lake and doing our own thing so hopefully we get that figured out. Thanks for the tips though , really appreciate it
Scoop Lake has a very large outfitter main camp on it and they hunt the surrounding lake area with horses , jet boat and float planes . You wont be alone anywere near Scoop Lake with resident or non resident hunters .

Reaction score
Oh ok ya good to know! So would you be able to tell me about whether you can rent a boat or plane to get into the area ? Then from there hike or set up camp? I know I’m asking a lot just trying to figure out more about how we can do this . I appreciate all the help

Decker9

Mountains are my medicine
Reaction score
Your best bet would probably be to contact Liard air from muncho lake, I believe their the closest flight wise to scoop, and would be able to give you a quote on a flight.

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
:Oh Yeah!:
You most likely have more than enough info now to start planning the hunt DanC1987....

I'd for sure start with phoning around up there and get more info right from the guys that live/work there.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Chalk another on up for "The Friendliest Site" good for you D9 and CS thanks for sharing with the "Newbie"

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
I would agree with 'Chainsaw33' that it could be a busy place just by what I saw when googling it.
As he said, there's a large well established camp there with 2 land based plane runways. As was
suggested, maybe get in touch with Laird Air. They could tell you if you're going into a hostile
environment and give you advice and pricing if you wish to go in anyway.

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
Oh ok ya good to know! So would you be able to tell me about whether you can rent a boat or plane to get into the area ? Then from there hike or set up camp? I know I’m asking a lot just trying to figure out more about how we can do this . I appreciate all the help
Maybe would look a little bit north around the Turnagain River and Kechika River meet .

Chainsaw33

Reaction score
I would agree with 'Chainsaw33' that it could be a busy place just by what I saw when googling it.
As he said, there's a large well established camp there with 2 land based plane runways. As was
suggested, maybe get in touch with Laird Air. They could tell you if you're going into a hostile
environment and give you advice and pricing if you wish to go in anyway.
Just be careful with Laird Air , as he has been know to over load more than a few lakes in that area with resident hunters without telling you .

KTownKiller

I like lofty heights!
Reaction score
Hate to say, but for a well known lake like Scoop, you'd probably have to book flights 6-12 months ahead! My friend just booked his swamper hunt flights up north for next year already! Gotta think ahead for these kinda trips. Just say'n. Or look for places most people aren't think'n of for one reason or another. Like an area that has too much of a hike in for most!

olympia

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Hate to say, but for a well known lake like Scoop, you'd probably have to book flights 6-12 months ahead! My friend just booked his swamper hunt flights up north for next year already! Gotta think ahead for these kinda trips. Just say'n. Or look for places most people aren't think'n of for one reason or another. Like an area that has too much of a hike in for most!
Hey man, where you been? Hope all is well

Top Bottom