Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

I Have handguns'cus I can !!!!

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
I enjoy shooting my handguns .38 spl / .357mag..., .45 Colt, .50 cal(Black powder.)
not a fan of semi autos....I was brought up with ''wheel guns'' and just like their feel.....I do ,sometimes, miss having my ''pistol '' in the ''jockey ''box or just on the front seat in an old army haversack....but that was stateside.....I cast for all my revolvers.....and reload on crappy days when its too ,well,CRAPPY to do anything ''out of doors''.
its another ''freedom'' we can enjoy,despite A-HOLE LIBERALS''....

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
NAHMINT II;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this middle of the month Saturday finds you folks well.

For most of my life I've been of the belief that if more Canadians exercised their "privilege" to own restricted firearms that we'd at very least have an understanding that there's nothing inherently different about them as compared to other firearms or tools for that matter.

When I turned 18, in large part due to this belief, I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum and haven't been without at least one restricted firearm in the intervening nearly 40 years.

Before going further I should note that at one time I was a certified PAL examiner/instructor as well as a CORE instructor and had some other certifications - range officer, collector status and such that have now either lapsed or gone dormant at least. So all that to say that I must have "kept my nose clean" as my late father used to put it - enough to keep and maintain the certifications and ownership of various classifications of what our federal government prefers to call "weapons".

In general I am very reluctant to use the term "weapon" because emphatically mine must not be that since I'm still able to possess them under current Canadian law - and the contrary being if I had used ANYTHING including a frozen salami as a weapon I'd lose that status and relinquish the privilege, correct? :HUH?:

Anyway sir, as I exit the soapbox on which the podium stood, I'll admit that while I'm still somewhat of a revolver man at heart, my true love these days has drifted to a pair of heavy barrel, much tuned and tweaked -they are mine after all - bull barrel Ruger MK II targets.

The 5½" one had a scope on it for years - just a little Bushnell 1.5X - and it proved to be so accurate I hesitate to talk about it unless I'm on the range and can prove it to folks. Honestly I lost count of how many people were gob smacked at how they could hit things - far away things - with a handgun, using that little pistol.

Anyway I keep threatening to pick up a CZ 75 or a clone someday too, but as I age now I find picking up brass off the ground to be much less exhilarating than I used to when I had a 30 year old body.... I don't bend the same somehow.....

Thanks for the post and letting me ruminate "out loud" after a fashion.

All the best to you folks as we head into the fall and hunting season.

Dwayne

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I prefer revolvers as well... S&W #629.... a few #686s ... #27...#19
Also like The Ruger Mk 22s...

My Bro has me beat...

View attachment 19683
Steelwheels;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the week wasn't a bad one for you and the day in your part of the world looks to be shaping up as nicely as it appears here thus far.

That's a fine collection to be sure sir. Very cool! :kewl:

If you know and care to comment, are the two revolvers on the right with lanyards Victory Models from WWII or other types - such as the Model 10 the RCMP used to use that had a lanyard.

While I don't have too, too many regrets in life, one is that I could have had a NWMP marked New Service in .45 Colt for $400 back in '82. Unfortunately it, like the 60-70% Henry I could have had for $1500 were
"out of my price range" at that point in my life....

In the intervening years I've only laid hands on one more NWMP marked New Service - this second one was a .455 - but still would have been super cool to own. It was however, emphatically not for sale - I asked of course... as by that time in my life it was possible financially to obtain.

Anyway sir, thanks for sharing the photo and all the best to you as we head into cooler days and the beginnings of the fall hunt.

Dwayne

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
Sold my 41 Mag, after I quit guiding and packing. Gave my 44 replica away cuz when the new RPAL cam out the didn't grandfather short gun owners. I sold my SAA 44 sp lettered antique cuz I was afraid of Turdeau closing the "antique loophole":OH-OH: :Owned:

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
DWAYNE,
...Good day to you Sir,
The first restricted I purchased in B.C. was also a RUGER Blackhawk Convertible..357/.38 with the extra 9mm
cylinder.....really enjoyed it,the 9mm cylinder, not so much.....that one I swapped for a 14' MIRROR CRAFT ,aluminum boat while living on BOWEN Island... I also had acquired a brand new S.S. SUPER BLACKHAWKin .44mag...bought it from LEVER ARMS,just as they were moving from RICHARDS st. in Vancouver....
a friend has a Ruger mkII, S.S. BULL BARREL and factory target grips......I DO enjoy shooting it as I'm actually able to hit the BULL at 35yards lol....
its good to hear SOME good folks still like wheel guns and we all agree,RUGER MKII's are fine target shooters......................have a great day..........glenn

BC30cal

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
Glenn;
Thanks kindly for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

In hindsight I really should have kept the Blackhawk, but a buddy from Alberta was out visiting us here in '84 and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so it went home with him.

If I may wander back down memory lane a tad here folks, that Blackhawk was purchased at Fletcher's Sporting Goods in Oroville, WA and since I was 18 and Danny Fletcher wasn't able to hand a pistol/revolver over to anyone under 21, he took it to Canada Customs for me and I - of course having all the ATT paperwork done in advance - took it to the Oliver RCMP to have it verified, like they did back then.

In '84 when I sold the Blackhawk, I again wandered across the medicine line to Fletcher's, but it was now owned by a friend and chap who eventually became County Commissioner - Spencer Higby. As I say, Spence knew me pretty well and so had no problem selling me this Security Six - he threw in the Bianchi holster that it's previous owner had sold it with too.

This time, because I had the proper ATT all done up, Spence simply dropped the revolver in a paper grocery bag and bid me a good trip back to the Oliver RCMP Detachment.

Upon hitting the Canadian Border folks, I declared to the agent at the kiosk window that yes I had made a purchase and it was in fact a firearm. He motioned me to park in the lot and bring it and the receipt into the office.

When I walked in, there was a young lady at the desk, obviously one of the summer university students they used to hire. She asked if I was the firearm purchase and I replied to the affirmative.

Then she looked around and asked where it was and I nodded to the paper grocery bag I'd put on the counter.

Her eyes got big and she said, "Oh it's a pistol!" and she started to look all flustered.

Very quickly I produced the ATT from the RCMP in Oliver, said she could call the Constable I'd dealt with, think it was actually one of the RCMP Constables I ended up living close to when we bought a house a couple years later - anyway I guess I was pretty convincing as she calmed down and said, "Oh I'm so glad one of us knows what to do, can you please just continue to help me through this?"

Which I was happy to do and after paying the duties and taxes, away I went.....

My how times have changed, no?

Oct. 04, 08 005.jpg

In the next few years I picked up a Polychoke Rib down at Spences, made up some new grips for it, then made a new front sight, bobbed the hammer and slicked it up so it rivals some Smiths for smooth running.

On a bet I've hit bread loaf size targets at a tad more than 100 yards with it, but I did have 30 something year old eyes when I did that.

Lastly I'll say that I believe it's a real crying shame that when I pass, it will be disassembled and the frame turned in to be destroyed as our daughter doesn't have "Prohibited" class PAL, though she does have RPAL so can get most of the rest of the collection.

To the best of my knowledge Glenn, that Security Six has never, ever broken out of the safe and gone on a shooting rampage on it's own in the past 35 years, so it's proven to be safer than a lot of people I've known during those decades.

Too bad my government doesn't trust me being able to keep it behaving or having taught my daughter how to do that so she could some day own it too....

Ah, well, 'tis what it is and part of being a Canuck in this day and age I suppose.

Thanks for reading, for letting my memories wander down some grand paths of the past and relive them for a wee bit.

All the best to you folks again this fall Glenn.

Dwayne

• Admin

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
DWAYNE
I really enjoy those stories of by-gone days when things were mostly ''right'' in Canada.....
mabe a soft covered book would be in order with a collection of them for all to enjoy..
My addition would be my ''then new ''S.S.SUPERBLACKHAWK circa 1984-5....I purchased it from LEVER ARMS Vancouver....took the paperwork to Cpl.Dawson,over on 13th. north van r.c.m.police,then took Their ''permission slip back to LEVER,only to return with said purchase to the police station....
:Yikes!: OH,i had looong hair and beard and was on my motorcycle....no locks needed back then.....I Did remove the cylinder BEFORE entering the police station ( I only pretend to be stupid, at times).I did park on the sidewalk in front of the main entrance......upon entering,a half dozen officers rushed PASSED me......seems there was a fire at a gas station that had a monsterous propane tank and the area was being evacuated !!!!so here I am,all alone in the police stations ,playing with a 7 1/2 ii barrelled .44......practiced shooting everything on their walls......
several ''customers came and went.......'' one asked where everyone was...I replied I don't know,i'm just waiting to be ''booked'' !!!!!
cops finally returned in an hour +....CORPORALDawson,admired my new RUGER, gave me my transport paper to take it home which was a 1/2 dozen blocks away down east 13th.

cheers Glenn

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I also have a Ruger MKII that will shoot dimes at 25 yards when I do my part. At well past double 30 year old eyes I don't do my part as much. I hunt with a Ruger SBH 44 mag much of the time. I do carry under my shirt a Colt series 70 1911 in 45 ACP. I do have the proper paper work to do that. I like anything that goes bang for handguns except Glocks.
Steve

Trinity

Reaction score
My first will always be the one most remembered, (sound familiar :kewl: ) .....bought a Browning .22 High Standard set up for target shooting from my grade 13 calculus teacher in high school. l remember it well, he sold me that pistol and then failed me the sob!..........welcome to life on life's terms!! LOL Since then a few other wheelies and semis have been added to the harem, with the justification "its better to have and not need, then need and not have".......besides they are A LOT of fun to shoot with the added bonus of keeping my aging eye/hand co-ordination "kinda" in shape.

Missed this profanity the first time reading the post and it must be confronted....what is wrong with a Glock????? Hmmmm??team Glock.jpg

Last edited:

Trinity

Reaction score
HMMM 22 High Standard VS a pass in calculus no brainer You won that round Sir lol
Actually, he came into class the first day, looked over the 32 students and said out loud......"too many by half, but we will fix that" and he did, only 14 students graduated that class. As math wasn't my strongest suit, l made the first cut. Its been years now but recalling that particular class and "Mr. Laird ", two things came out of it. At 60 plus now, l still haven't used advanced calculus and the chances are slim going forward so it appears that was never a great loss, and it took my kids bringing home their high school math and me having to self teach myself to help them that l realized that math wasn't as hard as it was made out back when. l can still recall having golden "ah haa" moments when the lights finally came on looking at formulas...... great timing 20 years+ after high school was in the rear view!.
Back then it was legal to have a pistol on you at your domicile rather then the present definition which uses dwelling or vice versa...what ever it was, the definition allowed you to pack on your property and as a teen my pistol rode on every piece of farm equipment we had, as l grew up on a fair sized farm, and will say, things were tried that l wouldn't suggest any one try at home or anywhere for the matter. That gun also taught me new respect for people capable of hitting targets consistently off a moving platforms, beast or mechanical!! :Oh Yeah!: All in all, had a lot of firsts with that pistol and lots of memories associated with it. Haven't had a date with her for years but reminiscing now, may have to do that next range trip.

Biggyun68

Rainman
Reaction score
I started to use my R part of my PAL after 20 years of having my RPAL: I went to Vegas with my partner and her eldest son for his 21st birthday, and took them to one of those ranges they have down there: Long story short she shot a Glock 17 and loved it. She put 19 out of 20 of her shots into the targets heart and 1 in the shoulder. She loved shooting the handgun so I invested in a Ruger Mark III bull barrel and later on a Glock 17. My daughter and son loved shooting the Ruger but not the Glock. My son asked if we had the money if we could pick up a CZ Shadow 2. Italian had one for a very very good price so I picked it up, and then a used but tricked up CZ SP-01 came up at Reliable for a very very very good price a couple months later and the kids where even happier. A semi famous, old cowboy, geese hunting, dog breeding, part timer blacksmith, gun runner, dodge driving, Forum administrator from mid Vancouver Island talked me into buying a .44 revolver over a .357 this last winter because it is a better rifle caliber (I am currently looking for a lever action in 44mag/44sp). My son who is now 6'7" and 270 lbs at 16 did not put it down for 2 hours on the range and went through 200 rounds of Ammo. He had blisters on his hands and a huge smile.
So what have my handguns done??? They have got my family back on the range with me... Now Maddie (the daughter) wants to dust of her shotgun and get back her eye for bird shooting again. So is there anything sinister, nefarious or ugly about that?

Last edited:

NAHMINT II

Reaction score
Started taking my daughter to PACIFIC SHOOTERS range, way up behind the COACH HOUSE / CAP. COLLEGE when she was 7... started shooting .38spl.out of a RUGER Blackhawk......she is now 37, well adjusted,owns a high end construction co. with her husband,well to do in business......I suggest her early training led to self control and common sense !!!! no wonder the liberalzzz hate firearm,s.

Top Bottom