Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

in.B.C. Registration for your pleasure boat has an expiry date

Thread starter #1
ALI was good enough to inform us that our B.C. WILDLIFE CREDENTIALS have an expiry date
checked mine ON LINE sure enough, expires next November ......check yours.
reminded me that I bought a DOUBLE EAGLE runabout back in 2012 and the registration must be renewed every 10 years......... just more B.S.

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
same goes for bc safety authourity...power engineers now need to register and renew (for free so far)...electricians also need to renew and update their knowledge of code from what I heard....seems most trades and certifications all are moving towards a need to be renewed.....and many are requiring CEU's or Continuing Education Units (that must also pay a fee to the cert board to qualify/be eligible to count as education credits)

ALI was good enough to inform us that our B.C. WILDLIFE CREDENTIALS have an expiry date
checked mine ON LINE sure enough, expires next November ......check yours.
reminded me that I bought a DOUBLE EAGLE runabout back in 2012 and the registration must be renewed every 10 years......... just more B.S.
I've owned a number of boats over the years but was never aware of the need to renew the registration. I suppose that the registration on my Hourston has expired but frankly, I don't care. Until I'm notified I'm not going to worry about it. Thinking about it, the registration on my Smokercraft must have expired 19 years ago. Not losing any sleep over it.

Thread starter #9
Ya,Its another ''new'' thing..........my old boat's reg. has nothing on it.....
spoke to the coast guard and r.c.m.p .whenever I worked on their''boats''.
they had told me they have no access to registration number data base.....SO, they are just another '' make work''
job for the feds..........
days gone by,i would drop in to the federal building in NANAIMO...bill of sale and /or old boat registration...free of charge,5-10 minutes and transfer done..if no numbers on boat,new ones issued.......now its on the computer
and its a bit of a hassle. I'll be bu****ed if I bother to ''renew''. but then,it will probably mean a big fine....

Ya,Its another ''new'' thing..........my old boat's reg. has nothing on it.....
spoke to the coast guard and r.c.m.p .whenever I worked on their''boats''.
they had told me they have no access to registration number data base.....SO, they are just another '' make work''
job for the feds..........
days gone by,i would drop in to the federal building in NANAIMO...bill of sale and /or old boat registration...free of charge,5-10 minutes and transfer done..if no numbers on boat,new ones issued.......now its on the computer
and its a bit of a hassle. I'll be bu****ed if I bother to ''renew''. but then,it will probably mean a big fine....
I live in Nanaimo as well and it was always a pretty simple thing to do. Sometimes the wait down there was excessive but things usually went by fairly quickly. I've spoken to a number of fellows that I fish with and none of them knew anything about a renewal and seeing as how most of them are pretty much totally computer illiterate they have no plans of pursuing renewal unless they get some sort of renewal notice in the mail. Same as me.

Iron Glove

The 10 year "renewal" on Pleasure Craft "Registration" which actually is Pleasure Craft Liscencing, not Registration only applies as follows: "A Pleasure Craft Liscence that was issued or updated after 2010 is valid for 10 years. At the end of that period, you must renew your licence." - Government of Canada Marine Transportation Site.
So if you got your licence 2010 or earlier, you are OK.
Note that "Registration" and "Liscencing" are two totally different things.

The 10 year "renewal" on Pleasure Craft "Registration" which actually is Pleasure Craft Liscencing, not Registration only applies as follows: "A Pleasure Craft Liscence that was issued or updated after 2010 is valid for 10 years. At the end of that period, you must renew your licence." - Government of Canada Marine Transportation Site.
So if you got your licence 2010 or earlier, you are OK.
Note that "Registration" and "Liscencing" are two totally different things.
Thanks for that! My Smokercraft is okay then but I'll have to check and see when I bought the Hourston.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Our boat registration is good for 1 or 2 years. I just don't remember or care. Boat has to be 16 feet or longer to need to be registered. Sense I only get on privet water, ponds, I get to run the tape measure. What do you mean that is a 20 foot boat. Let me show you how to measure it, see it is only 10 feet long.
Steve

Iron Glove

Our registration goes by engine HP under 10 HP no reggie hence all the 9.9 outboards. the good thing is some of the 9.9 cowls fit on the 15 HP motors.

Not that I would ever do it or know anyone who would ever do it nor do I suggest it but I have heard rumours that simply getting a 9.9 set of stickers is even cheaper than buying the whole cowling. Again, I've only heard of that. :yeah, right:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom