Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Kamloops Archery Gurus?

Thread starter #1

russm86

Since there is no archery shop in Kamloops, I figured I'd see if there are any other Archery experts in the Kamloops area that would be willing to teach me a few tips / techniques to fine tune my compound bow and improve my shooting / form? I have practiced a fair bit would like to practice more but figured I should do it right and I have tried to teach myself some stuff and learn a few things on my own but now I think I have overwhelmed myself a little with all the info and am now more confused. I am willing to compensate for your time if necessary. I was looking at seeing if I could get lessons from an actual shop but that would mean a few trips out of town at least a couple hours each way and all the other associated extra costs, just for a few one or two hour lessons, as well as all on already limited free time... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Looks like you got some good ideas from the folks in the other forum. If I was getting into archery, I'd get to know the archery folks at the local range.

Where to start?

Maybe a picture or two of good shooting form might help - then you can study them and copy the stance. I'll also email you a manual that I developed, it should help you establish some good shooting/practice habits.

Here's a dew pics of what a good shooting form looks like. See how all the lines are pretty much vertical and horizontal? See how his body is vertical and the shoulders are square, forming a "T", not leaning backwards or forwards, his head is upright and natural - not bent or tilted to look through the peep aperture, his release-hand elbow is not pointing at the ground or up at the sky, his shoulders are relaxed - not hunched up (especially the shoulder of the arm holding the bow), his release-hand knuckle (small black circle) is tucked in behind his jawbone in a very solid and repeatable anchor point.

Same shooting form without the lines. This is the most stable platform for shooting - the feet are spread to shoulder width, shoulders are not hunched, the hand gripping the bow is relaxed and not torquing or tilting the bow in any way, the release hand is in the proper, solid anchor position that is easily repeatable.

Here's pic of what you want to see when l;ooking through your peep aperture when at full draw and in you comfortable anchor/shooting position. The yellow circle represents what you should see through the peep - you want to be able to just see glo-ring of your sight housing (that forms part of your reference points for proper aiming) then put your selected yardage pin (in this case a single, movable pin) right in the middle of the sight picture and on your selected point of impact. If all is not level and or square you won't be able to see the full sight housing properly.

I hope the above gives you somewhere to start. I will be here to post pics and answer questions if you want.

Have you thought of going into Hardcore Archery to talk to Chuck Land?

Paleolith

Cro-Magnon Nerd
Kelowna is a long way to go just to talk about archery. Also, when I want to truly learn something, the last place I go is a retailer. To each his/her own, though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Bottom