Welcome to True North Outdoor Hunting Forum - British Columbia and Beyond

It looks like you haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Register Log in

Knives what do you carry

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:21)

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
So, from $1.98 dime store "jack knives" to high end customs what do you all carry for daily use, hunting, fishing etc. Lets see and hear about them. I'll go first.
For years I carried a Puma and an OLD Schrade Old Timer. They have now been replaced by a couple of Blacktail customs. for hunting. The one on the left has been around for 5 seasons and still holds it's original edge with a couple of light touch ups. The capper is relatively new but I expect no less from it.

1zzz.jpg

Bow Walker

RUFF N TUMBLE "LEGEND" IN MY OWN MIND.
Reaction score
I, too, carry one of Roy's fine creations. :Oh Yeah!:

VERY handy, VERY sharp, and one of (if not THE) best EDC knives I have owned.

I traded a goo dknife for the one above and I still think I got the better end of the deal. MANY thanks CS. :Hi:
Blacktail Custom Made Knife.JPG

Before having the above on my belt I used to have the one below on clipped to my pocket. While it is a good knife for an EDC it does have it's limitations, unlike Roy's, which can do it all.
DSC_2448.JPG

DSC_2449.JPG

CanuckShooter

Wapiti Killer
Reaction score
knives2012002.jpgknives2012003.jpg

The top Gerber is one of my favourites...along with the Lifetimer in the bottom pic...for belt knives. I've been wearing the Gerber the last couple of years because the homemade sheath for my Lifetimer is in need of some work. The Gerber Flayer in the top picture is a really good knife also, one of those ones you'd never part with. These days I make a lot of use out of my Havalon Piranta...and if the work is a little heavier my Outdoor Edge Razor Lite.

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I had one of Roy's bigger knives, I wanted it as a back up to my crossbow but never got around to going after a bear with the bow so I donated it to a fund raiser. :Doh!: WTF was I thinking, Now I'm back on the bear vs X bow kick so needed another one what to do, where to turn? :Doh!: Oh yah, "go with what you know" Thanks one more time Roy.

1zzzz.jpg

IronNoggin

Stone Cold
Reaction score
For over 50 years I've been packing Buck Folders.

Started with a model 110, and still have that old bugger although that one doesn't see a lot of use out of the house any more.
Lost it no less than 4 times in the bush, and managed to recover it every single time! Lucky!

The next I collected was a model 112a (Ranger) with finger grooves.
Packed that one for decades. Been sharpened so many times, the blade is now much shorter than my trigger finger!
Still, it is all I need to clean, skin and render to pack-able size anything up to and including elk or moose.

Today I have one or the other (I now have a 3 of the 110's and two 112's) on my shell belt whenever I wander.

Up to this past fall I wasn't a fan of the various scalpel type knives. Tried them a couple times, and found them far to flimsy for my ways.
Then, last fall, a good buddy skinned, quartered and deboned a big moose with one of Havelon's variants.
Call me impressed.
For Christmas this year, my Lady grabbed me one of these, called a Jim Shockey Havelon:

I had the opportunity to try it out on three pigs that we butchered down Island a short spell ago.
It has earned it's place in my kit, and I'll be packing it alongside one of the others.

I have but one custom knife.
It was built to fit my hands exactly, has a long blade, and was designed specifically to be a bear response tool.
My Lady got that for me after hearing of some rather overly brave acts around both Polar Bears and Barren Ground Grizz. :Doh!:
It stays home unless I am targeting another bear.

I would LOVE one of Roy's creations, and will get to that eventually.
For now, keeping food on her table must of course come first.
That said, I do foresee a time down the road when the jingle won't be quite so tight, and I expect Roy knows I'll come knocking... small wink

Cheers,
Nog

• Admin

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
My EDC is a Buck Nobelman clip knife, cuts everything from wire to cheese. I'd be lost without it

Walleye King

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
I carry a small lock blade Buck as my every day pocket knife. Have several hunting knives but my go to was a Buck Model 110. I even sent it back to the factory to have it re-bladed at one point as it was worn down a fair bit. About 3 or 4 years ago I tried an Outdoor Edge with replaceable blades. It is stiff enough to get the job done and I have used it on moose, elk and everything in between. I really like it.

NAHMINT II

Moderator, Backwoods Barista
Reaction score
My EDC has been for about 5 years, a CRKT Enticer/first edition by MJ LERCH....little thin knife that has proven itself .beats the bulky GERBER I used to carry in my pocket.....
my ''hunting blade'' is a smaller BUCK-105G. still take along my old PREMIER original buffalo skinner and a little ''old timer 2 blade folder along with a couple cook shack butcher knives.......like money, ya kant never have to much:ROFL:

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
When I was a youth, aside from a couple of cheap jack knives, I had a fisherman's stock knife
which was extraordinarily sharp. I then was given a homemade knife my grandfather had painstakingly
made out of an old file. I had that for several years. It also was very sharp and held it's edge well.
Unfortunately I lost it when it got ripped out of it's sheath as I slid down into a deep canyon in Savona.
Since then I usually only carry a Leatherman style multi-use unit although I always have a regular hunting
knife in my pack and/or truck.

robert5

Reaction score
Look up Stanley 10-049 folding utility knife and 11-040 / 11-041 replacement blades on Amazon.ca or Google.
We have used this knife for years, one blade will skin a moose.
Have used Havelon and lost the blade inside a moose, so got to say I find the Stanley's performance better and you can not beat the price.

Cheers, Bob

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I've had several multi tools and all of them have performed well. The blades on them have been very sharp and are usually of a good quality.

For just one tool - they are almost an essential.

Big Lew

This IS My Life
Reaction score
How many use a mechanical knife sharpener, and how many use sharpening stones?
I've tried some not expensive electric ones and wasn't impressed. Both my grandfather
and my dad were very good at honing to produce very sharp blades and taught me how
so I always fall back on finishing my blades with whet stones.

Foxton Gundogs

Admin./,Cedar BC
Reaction score
I used to use whet stones, steel and Emory paper and still have them but since I got my Lanski the seldom see the light of day.

gunseller

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
My name is Steve and I am a custom knife addict. I have over a dozen custom or hand made knives to go along with the huge amount of factory knives. Custom range from Lovless to Melven Dunn to others. Hand made run from Melven Dunn to a 14 Randell that I carried while in the army. The Randell is my hunting knife while a Benchmade is my EDC. I also carry when needed and use Leatherman tools.
Steve

Bow Walker

Reaction score
I've had a fascination with knives since I was around 8 or 9 years old. That interest only intensified when I started meat cutting as a profession. In the beginning I used to sharpen my knives with an emory belt grinder - yes, I went through quite a few knives. The grinder ate the metal and if you weren't careful it also burnt and changed the edges.

I soon learned to use an oil stone for sharpening. My favorite has three stones on it and an oil bath at the bottom.
49588.jpg Triad-Superior-Sharpening-System-1-350x350.jpg

Nowadays I use an electric wheel grinder that I got years ago at Can Tire. It runs at a slow 170 revs and is reversible. The stone wheel turns thru a water bath as it rotates, keeping the wheel wet and cool. The grit is about a medium and is good for setting the angle of the cutting edge.
772995009435_ca.jpg

Then it's on to the diamond grit 'stones' to finish the edge and get that sharpness that is ideal.

diamond-grit-sharpening-stone-4-sided-32266-p.jpg

Decker9

Mountains are my medicine
Reaction score
Some damn fine blades in here!!

I use to be a havalon guy, but after sticking one through my shin a couple years ago, I have a hate on for them (a personal problem lol).

I always wanted a custom knife set, and my dad knew that, so he told me to order the knife of my dreams last winter (I think he was regretting it when he got the bill :OH-OH: lol.

I had a guy named Gary bolduc from bolduc knives in California build these for me, the “sheep skinner” and the “goat caper”. Iv only had the chance to skin a lynx and a beaver so far, they feel like the “pre 64” of hunting knives.

3DD331C1-3A7A-46F0-9EAF-F3BCE87FDC58.jpegF055908E-3551-4E01-B293-41C10F085A34.jpeg

wideopenthrottle

Long-Time Member
Reaction score
i carry a soft(ish) steel folder and a leatherman wave on my belt. the softer steel sharpens easy and quick but needs more frequent touch ups....stuffed in with my leatherman is a small sharpening device i got for xmas but havent tried yet .....the leatherman also has a sharpener that works well (on other knifes but cant sharpen its own blades of course) but it has a kind of laminated grit (diamond maybe) that will eventually wear out...in my pack and next to my bed at night in grizz country is my large fixed blade Kabar....

Top Bottom